U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM

167 posts, read 853,017 times

Advertisements

So we just left Hendersonville and while we were traipsing around that area for a few days, we noticed how many Florida plates we were seeing--more than any other, except NC of course. What's the deal? A whole lot of the people in these FL cars appeared to be of retirement age, and I know Hendersonville is a popular area for retired people, so... Are these retired people who live in FL and come to WNC for the summers, or retired people who are leaving FL and moving to NC for good? Anyone have any ideas about this?
Oh, and this is off topic, but we also saw a Hawaii plate, the first one I've ever seen... how weird huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 10:28 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
So we just left Hendersonville and while we were traipsing around that area for a few days, we noticed how many Florida plates we were seeing--more than any other, except NC of course. What's the deal? A whole lot of the people in these FL cars appeared to be of retirement age, and I know Hendersonville is a popular area for retired people, so... Are these retired people who live in FL and come to WNC for the summers, or retired people who are leaving FL and moving to NC for good? Anyone have any ideas about this?
Oh, and this is off topic, but we also saw a Hawaii plate, the first one I've ever seen... how weird huh?

Tons in Az too. I'm never seen so many before here.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,605,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
I live in Hendersonville. The Hendersonville area has always been a summer sanctuary for the well-to-do families of the lowland cities of Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA and the state of Florida as far back as I can remember. They start coming to their summer homes around Easter and leave around Halloween each year.

Starting in the early days of the last century, this area was considered by many of the East Coast rich as a premier health resort, vacation spot and retirement destination. Some of the more notable folks who used to "hang out" in the Hendersonville area over the past 100 years were various members of the Vanderbilt family, author F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda, actor Robert Mitchum, boxer Jack Dempsey, and country music star Minnie Pearl. Both TV star Buffalo Bob Smith of the Howdy-Doody Show and American poet Carl Sandburg spent their last years as Hendersonville residents.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,744,863 times
The hurricane season the last few years have been brutual for Flordia folks...I know, my folks are still in South Florida

Old 07-14-2006, 05:27 AM

1,111 posts, read 3,225,672 times
Both. Ashville, Boone and Blowing Rock have many summer homes for Floridians who cannot take the summer heat. Many are giving up on Florida because of the congestion, hurricanes and rising insurance premiums. I have friend in Boca Raton who is paying 380 per month for insurance. And, he is sick and tired of putting up and taking down the storm shutters. I think one evacuation would be cause for me to want to move.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,828,536 times
The most absolute worst part of Floridians driving around in the mountains is they don't know how! They're so used to flat straight roads that they get all freaked out at the slightest incline. Anytime you are driving in the mountains, and the traffic gets backed up with tons of cars behind one single slow car, there's a 95% chance that slow car has FL license tags. It's a fact of life in the mountains I've been hearing about ever since I was a child.

20mph in a 45 mph zone in the western third of NC? Yeah, it's a Florida car! LOL

Old 07-14-2006, 08:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,605,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
The most absolute worst part of Floridians driving around in the mountains is they don't know how! They're so used to flat straight roads that they get all freaked out at the slightest incline. Anytime you are driving in the mountains, and the traffic gets backed up with tons of cars behind one single slow car, there's a 95% chance that slow car has FL license tags. It's a fact of life in the mountains I've been hearing about ever since I was a child.

20mph in a 45 mph zone in the western third of NC? Yeah, it's a Florida car! LOL
All that and the fact that many are 75+ years old.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 AM

904 posts, read 2,583,120 times
Yes, please note that all Floridians are not over the age of 65.
In fact, most are not Floridians at all. They are Northerners who retired to Fl. and then can't take the summer heat. They move your way from Easter until Oct. Then they head back to Fl. to crowd our roads.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,647,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom
Yes, please note that all Floridians are not over the age of 65.
In fact, most are not Floridians at all. They are Northerners who retired to Fl. and then can't take the summer heat. They move your way from Easter until Oct. Then they head back to Fl. to crowd our roads.

YOu are right - and not just FLorida, here in NY too, retirees just move slower in their cars, hey, there is no rush..

Old 07-14-2006, 04:50 PM

79 posts, read 335,427 times
Many of the Second home owners In Hendersonville from Florida actualy spend more time in NC but keep there "Florida Citizenship" to avoid NC income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina