U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,651,133 times

Advertisements

ok, thank you Tornado Alley - I also think if they broke these big county schools and broke into smaller districts, like we do here in NY, that may help too...I guess with the new Superintentant in CMS, change is coming, let's all hope it is good...due to reputation, people are going to the other districts that are going to face the same situations as in CMS down the line if growth continues as it is projected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 12:51 PM

311 posts, read 560,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
PS I have found here in North Carolina that if a school is waving a banner that claims to be a school of excellence, it does not matter what is going on behind closed doors. All sorts of teacher misconduct that would make your skin crawl is ignored. An administator who has good test scores can sail through with poor administrative abilities, as long as he or she looks good on paper.
I think that being a "blanket statement" is incorrect. In some cases it may be true, but the idea that "if a school is waving a banner that claims to be a school of excellence, it does not matter what is going on behind closed doors" does not apply to EVERY one.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM

285 posts, read 1,005,307 times
Whitney,
You are right, I have just had some very negative experiences here in my county, where there is a lot of misconduct and coverups on the part of the adults.
My apologies to the schools of excellence that uphold the highest of standards. They do exist!
Peggy

Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,224,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
ok, thank you Tornado Alley - I also think if they broke these big county schools and broke into smaller districts, like we do here in NY, that may help too...I guess with the new Superintentant in CMS, change is coming, let's all hope it is good...due to reputation, people are going to the other districts that are going to face the same situations as in CMS down the line if growth continues as it is projected.
Are you referring to the one from CA?

Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 PM

yes I am -

Old 07-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
yes I am -

California is no leader in school performance. The dems and teachers unions( is there really a difference?) has CA so locked up that there is no hope of ever changing it.

This guy came from this environment, so I wouldnít hold my breath on any significant improvement. On the other hand you better pray and get involved cause itís more likely than not that it could go the way of CA and I can assure you that you donít want that.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
California is no leader in school performance. The dems and teachers unions( is there really a difference?) has CA so locked up that there is no hope of ever changing it.

This guy came from this environment, so I wouldnít hold my breath on any significant improvement. On the other hand you better pray and get involved cause itís more likely than not that it could go the way of CA and I can assure you that you donít want that.
Can you elaborate on the CA schools that you are referring to

Old 07-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the CA schools that you are referring to
Did you watch the video that TA started this post with? It really highlights the failures of not only the schools in the N east, but the ones in CA are either worse or certainly no better.

CA has some of the lowest performing schools, somewhere around 47% of students graduate HS. Of the HS graduates that go on to college over half have to take remedial math and English in the first couple of years, and these are the top 5% of HS graduates.

Does this mean that all CA schools are that bad? No. There are some schools that perform well despite the heavy hand of the teachers union, but these are in the affluent areas where they are treated special.

Is it a lack of money? Certainly not. Do a search on the CA budget and you will find over $40 billion is spent on K-12 and Johnny still cant read.

Every election there is and proposition on the ballet to allow school vouchers and the teachers union fights and kills it every time.

Does this mean that itís the teacherís fault? No. Some teachers are to blame, but the majorities are tied down by the regulations. Take a look at the video that shows the students dancing and lounging around with the teacher right there. That happens because the teachers cannot control the students. I donít mean they donít know how, but they arenít allowed. The students know this and the ones that are prone to act up do and the rest of the students suffer. Again not every school, but most of the lower income schools are like that.

Look again at the video, one thing you see with the higher performing schools is the discipline. This doesnít mean that the students are abused, but there are set guidelines and consequences if you break the rules. If you donít control the environment the students will test boundaries until they find out what they can get away with. These disruptions affect every student.

As was stated in the video if all students had vouchers that they could use to attend any school they wanted to, the poorer performing schools would close and better schools would open up to compete for the students.

This is such a ďno brainierĒ that it is insulting that parents have to put up with this BS, of moving to areas that have better schools. With competition the schools would be the ones that have to perform or be replaced with ones that do. Parents would have the choice, instead of the schools.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 PM

I do not think there is any easy answer.

Statisically across the entire USA, those schools where the parents have higher income levels, kids do better..that is a fact...

Now if you close the poor performing schools, those kids go to the other schools causing more issues...

While some kids in lower performing schools do well, the majority don't? Why, there are many reasons-too many to list and debate and a lot of those reasons can never be changed...

If the parents of many children do not value education, they will not instill this into their children...we have a district here on LI that due to its performance is now run by the state...

another issue is $$ - the state and federal mandates do not give the schools what they need to implement programs - in our areas here, since each district pays the school, the weathier areas get the $$ from the tax payers to make up for what the state does not give so you say what about the other districts they pay taxes, yes but many have multiple families on one home or illegal apts since they can't afford to live there, adding many to the system that do not contribute and again their area other enviornmental issues...i guess i could go on but I will stop now.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I do not think there is any easy answer.

Statisically across the entire USA, those schools where the parents have higher income levels, kids do better..that is a fact...

Now if you close the poor performing schools, those kids go to the other schools causing more issues...

While some kids in lower performing schools do well, the majority don't? Why, there are many reasons-too many to list and debate and a lot of those reasons can never be changed...

If the parents of many children do not value education, they will not instill this into their children...we have a district here on LI that due to its performance is now run by the state...

another issue is $$ - the state and federal mandates do not give the schools what they need to implement programs - in our areas here, since each district pays the school, the weathier areas get the $$ from the tax payers to make up for what the state does not give so you say what about the other districts they pay taxes, yes but many have multiple families on one home or illegal apts since they can't afford to live there, adding many to the system that do not contribute and again their area other enviornmental issues...i guess i could go on but I will stop now.
I'll say it again. Did you watch the video? Watch all of it. I think it will give you all the information you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or