Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 PM

81 posts, read 276,124 times

Advertisements

I was told to post this here because it was in the wrong section.
Im thinking about moving south from PA and was wondering how the hope mills area is? I've read that the schools are great which is great. I would just like a brief honest description of the area. How are the people? Is the town is good shape, stuff to do, shopping close by, stuff like that. Also how is it there in the winter? THat is one of the reasons we want to move, the winters up here are brutal. From nov to about mar its cold, I'm talking in the 40's to below 0, especially in Jan. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
I moved to Fayetteville from CT, weather similar to PA. The weather in Hope Mills (I lived a couple of miles from Hope Mills) is vastly different than CT weather! Our first winter there was a day of snow, really a dusting, one or two mornings with ice, Christmas eve day we took a walk on the Cape Fear river trail and were HOT, my husband was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, the rest of us were in short sleeves. The schools are county run, and the Cumberland county schools are good in the Hope Mills area, as well as several other areas in the county.
Do you have a job you can transfer there?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
I've lived in Hope Mills for 7 years now. I prefer this side of town. Hope Mills is attached to the southeast side of Fayetteville. The city taxes are cheaper than Fayetteville. There are still several new developments going up in this area, including a nice mixed use housing/shopping complex that will feature a 14 screen movie theater. My oldest son graduated from Southview high school in 2006 and we feel it was a good school. We are currently building a new home in Grays Creek area just on the other side of I-95 from Hope Mills. That district has good schools too. Our daughter will be starting Kindergarten at Gallberry Farms on tuesday. She also attends Cumberland School of Ballet in downtown Hope Mills which I would highly recommend. Hope Mills has and extensive sports program that is separate from the active County Parks and recreation programs. It has a nice YMCA with an outdoor pool. The snack bar at the park on Hope Mills Lake sponsors a classic car cruise-in on Saturday nights and I think they have outdoor movie night once a month. You can bring folding chairs and blanket to watch family movies. We have Fantasy Lake water park and a couple of Golf courses.

I think it snowed about one inch last year.

In fairness I must add the REMAX office my wife and I work out of is in Hope Mills. We like living close to work.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM

81 posts, read 276,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I moved to Fayetteville from CT, weather similar to PA. The weather in Hope Mills (I lived a couple of miles from Hope Mills) is vastly different than CT weather! Our first winter there was a day of snow, really a dusting, one or two mornings with ice, Christmas eve day we took a walk on the Cape Fear river trail and were HOT, my husband was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, the rest of us were in short sleeves. The schools are county run, and the Cumberland county schools are good in the Hope Mills area, as well as several other areas in the county.
Do you have a job you can transfer there?
Yeah I have a job I could transfer to.
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 AM

8 posts, read 27,267 times
Hope Mills aka Hopeless Mills.

not good. and I'm from Raeford(Hoke County aka Broke County)

Old 08-29-2009, 07:04 AM

Come on now, what is so bad about Hope Mills?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Come on now, what is so bad about Hope Mills?
their police department got busted a few months ago for some ****, i forgot what happened.

half of it is "hood"

their lake is gone lol, i remember when it was still there hope mills was nice.

hope mills died with its lake to be honest. i only live right down the road, im going to apply for a job at the new hope mills movie theatre they're building

Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Spring lake had the police problems, not Hope Mills. The Hope Mills lake has been filled all this year.

Good luck getting a job at the movie theater. It is going to be nice. We've sold two houses in that development already. It will be a nice addition to the area.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Spring lake had the police problems, not Hope Mills. The Hope Mills lake has been filled all this year.

Good luck getting a job at the movie theater. It is going to be nice. We've sold two houses in that development already. It will be a nice addition to the area.
ah damn. well good ****, i might not be able to wait that long though. what is it another like 6-8 months til its ready?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Probably a little less than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina