Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM

33 posts, read 194,524 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I plan on visiting the Carolinas this summer in search of that "magical place", but I would like some insight from others that might already know. I welcome any opinions, and appreciate your insight.
Here is where I am from....I grew up in MA on Cape Cod where the summers are OK, but the water off the coast is cold. My opinion is that MA is NOT my ideal place to live given the cold weather, high cost of living, increasing population, and limited space.
Here is where I have been....The service and school has brought me to these following places: TX,MS,OH, NV, Saudi, Kuwait, and back to OH. From these experiences I have determined that warm weather and green space is something I enjoy.
Here is where I am now....Cincinnati, OH. Although a nice little city, there are too many people for the area. Summers are nice and warm, but I don't want to be in the snow belt anymore, and there is no coastline. There is plenty of green space if you are interested in moving more north towards Dayton....and enjoy the increasing taxes.
Here is where I want to go...I need some warm weather, warm water, and plenty of green space without the large city effect. However, I do enjoy the city life, I just don't want to live in it. The Carolinas are beautiful, and I have thought long and hard about which one to move to, but I can't make up my mind. Although a country boy at heart, I like access to night life and the beaches....whether it's an ocean or large lake.
Very important...I work in the medical field, so I need an area that supports a fine medical facility...and I would like an area with good schools...you know, a place your kids can enjoy their free spirit!
Any advice for a coastal, rural, Carolina town that can somewhat offer what I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the insight!
P.S> This thread is also running under South Carolina Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Avoid major population centers in both areas and you will find what you are looking for in both states however those major population centers also have more medical field type jobs so maybe a small town near them will fit your needs.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:06 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
It's only my opinion, but I'd probably pick something around Charleston/Mount Pleasant.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,290 times
I second Charleston/Mt Pleasant.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM

29 posts, read 118,321 times
We lived in Mt. Pleasant for 5 years. Loved it! Wouldn't say it was rural, however. But with all the hospitals and MUSC, you're sure to find a job.

If I could afford it, I would be living on Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 23,156 times
Hi, I am a South Carolina native and could not imagine living anywhere in the US just because I believe we do have the true "Southern Hospitality". I did a search via the internet because we currently have two houses for sale in Walterboro, SC and thought you may be interested if you are not set on moving to Isle of Palms or Sullivans Island. Walterboro, SC is about 45 minutes away from Charleston, and 45 mintues from Edisto Beach. I believe it is about an hour and 15 minutes from Isle of Palms. It's close enough to everything but less the traffic that most of your larger cities have. If you are interested are would like for me to email you any pictures, please just email me back and I will be happy to send them to you.

(A little about me, I currenly reside in Walterboro SC and my other half is a state trooper.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-27-2008 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: solicitation

Old 05-30-2008, 07:04 AM

5 posts, read 32,809 times
Hi - I just joined this forum because I'm hoping for some help with deciding where to move in SC. Vermont is cold and I want the beaches and a small cottage. A one year (long term rental) to explore the area may be what I do...but where to start? No congested areas and as close to the ocean that $150,000 will get me. Can anyone help me?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,509 times
We moved to NC from the Charleston area and I would also say Mt. Pleasent/Sullivan Island/Charleston area is probably a good fit for you.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 16,364 times
I am also in the process of researching NC/SC, thinking I might want to move there from beautiful but cold Cape Ann, MA. I imagine living near the coast in a small house or condo. I want to be near a population center but not necessarily in the middle of it; although, I can easily adapt to whatever seems right and affordable. I am a recently divorced mental health counselor - not yet licensed; so, I will need to find supervision for the 3-year process. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,012 times
I thought of Morehead City, NC or Beaufort/Hilton Head, SC. I'm not sure of the medical options in either, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina