Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 07:36 PM

170 posts, read 566,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
11 year old: inconsolable
7 year old: his birthday wish is that we could stay at our house
4 year old: "I just want to be here forever"

I hope that the fact that school will start right away & that they will b ebusy & meeting people will help ease the transition.

Hang in there Nyer, I'm in the same boat. 13 yr old- sad and worried.-"I never want to leave!" 10 yr. old- just not sure. I can only hope the same as you, we leave in 2 wks, and school should just about be starting. At least with SO many people moving here, they surely won't be the only new kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 07:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
We have been to Exton... for hockey for my son. I was surprised at how pleasant it was, a really nice suburb, friendly people too.
I have never been to Exton but the way my family decribed it, it sounded like a nice place. It's Amish land that was sold I'm told.
I just don't want any cold winters and it sounds too much like NY to me. It does sound very nice though. It's suppose to be all new there.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Hang in there Nyer, I'm in the same boat. 13 yr old- sad and worried.-"I never want to leave!" 10 yr. old- just not sure. I can only hope the same as you, we leave in 2 wks, and school should just about be starting. At least with SO many people moving here, they surely won't be the only new kids!

That's what I told my kids when we moved from the NW Valley to the SE. I said it's all new nobody knows anyone. It's not like when we moved and I was in school everyone knew everyone for years. My kids were so mad at me and depressed. My son wrote a school paper talking about how depressed he was, I'm glad I caught it before he handed it in.

They came out just fine. My older son that was depressed actually made the best friends of his life here. He met them about a month after we moved, they were new to the neighborhood too and looking for friends. That was 7 years ago and he still has the same friends. He's 24 now and they still hang out. They all went tubing today.

In fact when we drive up to the old neighborhood they tell me Oh I'm glad we moved.

I had another situation with one of my twins when they changed boundry lines on the schools here. He wanted to go to the school his other friends were going to and I said no you have to go to Highland. he bothered me all Summer to drop him at his friends house in the morning so he could go to that other school. All Summer he complained. I told him to try it for a month and if he was absolutely miserable I'd see what I can do. Well he tried it and was fine he made good friends and still has the same group that he met in the 8th grade and he will be a senior this year. Now he tells me I'm glad I didn't go to that other school.

You got to take the horse to the water and make them drink. LOL

I guess they didn't learn anything because they don't want to move now either. They want to go to PA if I go to NC. So be it.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 PM

170 posts, read 566,318 times
Thanks, I worry SO much about my boys, and if I'm doing the right thing. You just made my night!

Old 07-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Thanks, I worry SO much about my boys, and if I'm doing the right thing. You just made my night!

Yes, I know I can't rest if my kids are hurting. So far whatever transition we forced them into it worked out.

Look at the ages we were dealing with here, my oldest just turned 17 at that time imagine going to a new HS at 17? Plus like I've said before my husband is Cuban and my kids have that olive skin we live in a 95% white area. That makes him stand out even more.

One was 13 he was going into 6th grade and the twins 12 going into 5th grade. It was fine, until that boundry change and then we had the bad Summer but smooth sailing after that.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM

91 posts, read 253,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Yeah I agree. You must have taken your kids with you when you went. If I took my kids to that Lake Norman area they wouldn't be complaining either. They didn'y go with us.

We are also trying to decide what to take.
Nope, they didn't go. But we took LOTS of pictures and the video camera which helped. All they wish is that there are "nice" kids in school there. I told them that there are lots of kids that will be in the same boat and they thought that was cool that parents are talking here and getting the low down.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 172,135 times
Yes, but the spouse not excited is me! I live in Ohio and enjoy the seasons, my family and friends. Although taxes are getting uncomfortably high, there are areas that are still somewhat reasonable. When I look around and see all the conveniences of shopping, entertainment and the great and numerous medical facilities, I think it does not make sense to move even when you consider taxes. Say what you will but for the most part, the Northern states seem to have things more together than the Southern. Maybe it is because they have had longer to deal with it and the South exploded with growth and sprawl.

We have been looking around the Asheville area because it has a climate which is not as horribly hot and humid as most of the South and it has seasons. However, although Asheville is pretty, the mountains can be very claustraphobic to a person used to gentle rolling hills. Also, Asheville taxes are starting to climb and it falls short when you look at how convenient, well-planned and easy to get to things are in the North. We can drive to 3 Lowe's or 3 Home Depot's within a 5-15 minutes and still have a country feel to our home and privacy.

When you really analyze things, usually the overall tax burden does not vary that greatly from state to state; its all a monopoly - they get you one way or the other (I guess an exception would be NY, NJ and CA which are horrible tax-wise).

And, like I said, property taxes are climbing in the Asheville area and property is being overvalued (like most places) and in turn, you will pay more property tax. As the economy cools, middle class (including retirees) are in for a rude awakening, because taxes will eat us alive.

I have switched my looking to the tri-cities are of Bristol, TN/VA, Kingsport and Johnson City because I think it may have more to offer job-wise and convenience-wise than Asheville. Plus, quiet frankly, I am wondering what kind of tax burden will occur when locations with massive retirees see their social security dry-up and investments yield less and less if the economy tanks.

I say be happy where you are planted and only re-transplant when things are really, really bad and you bascially have no other choice - which seems to be my situation.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva-girl
Yes, but the spouse not excited is me! I live in Ohio and enjoy the seasons, my family and friends. Although taxes are getting uncomfortably high, there are areas that are still somewhat reasonable. When I look around and see all the conveniences of shopping, entertainment and the great and numerous medical facilities, I think it does not make sense to move even when you consider taxes. Say what you will but for the most part, the Northern states seem to have things more together than the Southern. Maybe it is because they have had longer to deal with it and the South exploded with growth and sprawl.

We have been looking around the Asheville area because it has a climate which is not as horribly hot and humid as most of the South and it has seasons. However, although Asheville is pretty, the mountains can be very claustraphobic to a person used to gentle rolling hills. Also, Asheville taxes are starting to climb and it falls short when you look at how convenient, well-planned and easy to get to things are in the North. We can drive to 3 Lowe's or 3 Home Depot's within a 5-15 minutes and still have a country feel to our home and privacy.

When you really analyze things, usually the overall tax burden does not vary that greatly from state to state; its all a monopoly - they get you one way or the other (I guess an exception would be NY, NJ and CA which are horrible tax-wise).

And, like I said, property taxes are climbing in the Asheville area and property is being overvalued (like most places) and in turn, you will pay more property tax. As the economy cools, middle class (including retirees) are in for a rude awakening, because taxes will eat us alive.

I have switched my looking to the tri-cities are of Bristol, TN/VA, Kingsport and Johnson City because I think it may have more to offer job-wise and convenience-wise than Asheville. Plus, quiet frankly, I am wondering what kind of tax burden will occur when locations with massive retirees see their social security dry-up and investments yield less and less if the economy tanks.

I say be happy where you are planted and only re-transplant when things are really, really bad and you bascially have no other choice - which seems to be my situation.

I hear you, even here on LI where things are terribly high, there is not a huge difference (believe it or not) but There are other reasons I am going...All the best to you..

Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 PM

232 posts, read 728,534 times
Hi, my husband and I had so many aruguments about living here. Last year I missed home so much, every day I would tell him i wanted to move back. It put such a strain on our marriage, but now things are great! (not to mention that we have 2 babies 15 months apart). Anyway now we have to move to PA!!!!!!!!!! Not sure where we are going to live. My husband does not want to leave Waxahw. He loves it here-

Old 07-17-2006, 12:39 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I have never been to Exton but the way my family decribed it, it sounded like a nice place. It's Amish land that was sold I'm told.
I just don't want any cold winters and it sounds too much like NY to me. It does sound very nice though. It's suppose to be all new there.
It is mostly new, much nicer than Long Island.
We LI'ers were amazed at how nice it is. We get so stuck on the idea that we are in the most sophisticated nicest spot but when you travel, that assumption dissappears really fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina