U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,567 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are considering relocating to NC. We are native Delawareans and are looking for a change. My husband is considering some job opportunities in the Charlotte area. Everyone we talk to has great things to say about NC and so we are strongly considering relocating.

There are some areas of concern that I would love to hear people's opinions/ advice and knowledge on.

First schools in the Charlotte area. Currently two of my children (ages 8 and 6) attend a local Catholic school and we are very happy with the community and education being provided. What are the public school systems like in Charlotte? In Del your neighborhood is part of a district which dictates where you go to school. Problem in DE is the district boundaries are always changing and the curriculum (in my opinion, as a former teacher) is not as good. Is there anyone who opted to send their child to a Catholic/ private school over public? If so why? And what is the cost? Any recommendations?

My two year old son is autistic and is going to the state school for autistic kids. He has made wonderful progress and has been reassigned to be mainstreamed into a "regular" preschool in the fall, still receiving speech and occupational therapy. Is there a state school for autistic children? If not is there any school for autisic children? What options exist?

Next, in general what can you tell me about the Charlotte area in terms of housing and things to do (activities, YMCA, parks, malls vs town centers etc).

And lastly is there anyone out there who has relocated from DE or the surrounding area to NC? If so please share your thoughts on the pros and cons of the area.

We do plan on visiting NC in August. We just wanted to get some personal perspectives.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,567 times
Default Thoughts?

*bump*

We have searched these forums and have enjoyed reading everyones perspectives. Any takers on some of the topics mentioned in the post above?

We greatly appreciate any feedback people may have to offer.

Specifically, good areas to target. We hear nice things about Huntersville, except for the commute on I-77 to Charlotte. We are not city people, nor country folk... we enjoy somewhere in between.

Being a young family, we'd love to find other areas attracting other young families.

Again, any perspectives are most appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,676,692 times
Susie Q - I think if you read through a lot of the forum, go back and look at all, while time consuming, many of your questions and concerns should be answered.

here's a few re schoools, go to NCreportcards.org and greatschools.net

Old 07-15-2006, 07:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,960,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq
*bump*

We have searched these forums and have enjoyed reading everyones perspectives. Any takers on some of the topics mentioned in the post above?

We greatly appreciate any feedback people may have to offer.

Specifically, good areas to target. We hear nice things about Huntersville, except for the commute on I-77 to Charlotte. We are not city people, nor country folk... we enjoy somewhere in between.

Being a young family, we'd love to find other areas attracting other young families.

Again, any perspectives are most appreciated.

Thanks!

Hmmmm then you want Davidson check into the Farm by Dr. Horton. They have some inexpensive homes like 150,000 left in the first phase giving a nice 5.12 rate on inventory homes as an incentive. They are building a rec center splash pool and lap pool, exercise facilites, tennis courts,basketball, volley,jogging track, clubhouse. A little creek that runs through.
Cabarrus county schools and taxes. Good area, like I've said before on previous post currently in the woods for now but not long. Nice country roads will remain in back of that area.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 PM

170 posts, read 523,540 times
As in $150k? See, that's the price range we wanted to be in, but I really assumed all the new developments would be much higher. When I went to their website, it said $190k and up. Maybe I did it wrong. I'll have to keep checking.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
Talking NC School for Autistic

Although curently living in NJ, I am from Winston-Salem ,NC .There is a wonderful school for autistic children on the west side of town near Baptist Hospital. My son is multiply disabled with autism and he goes to a great school district up here but I wanted to move home to the south because that is where my husbands family is and the south is much gentler. From what I have learned this school in Winston is top of the line and compares much to mcss district which my son attends now and if that is so I would recomend it. Never let your autistic child go to a "regular" public school that has autistic programs because every school district although required to handle special needs often does not come close.My son has learned by leaps and bounds in a school for autistic in just over a year, when he arrived there he couldn't tell you his name. Now he amazes me EVERY day with something new he has learned how to say and do.
I think the individual attention a child receives in a school for autistic and the therapy available at those schools are invaluable. So please be sure if you move anywhere they have a school district seperate and specializing in our special children.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:50 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,435,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq View Post
Hi! My husband and I are considering relocating to NC. We are native Delawareans and are looking for a change. My husband is considering some job opportunities in the Charlotte area. Everyone we talk to has great things to say about NC and so we are strongly considering relocating.

There are some areas of concern that I would love to hear people's opinions/ advice and knowledge on.

First schools in the Charlotte area. Currently two of my children (ages 8 and 6) attend a local Catholic school and we are very happy with the community and education being provided. What are the public school systems like in Charlotte? In Del your neighborhood is part of a district which dictates where you go to school. Problem in DE is the district boundaries are always changing and the curriculum (in my opinion, as a former teacher) is not as good. Is there anyone who opted to send their child to a Catholic/ private school over public? If so why? And what is the cost? Any recommendations?

My two year old son is autistic and is going to the state school for autistic kids. He has made wonderful progress and has been reassigned to be mainstreamed into a "regular" preschool in the fall, still receiving speech and occupational therapy. Is there a state school for autistic children? If not is there any school for autisic children? What options exist?

Next, in general what can you tell me about the Charlotte area in terms of housing and things to do (activities, YMCA, parks, malls vs town centers etc).

And lastly is there anyone out there who has relocated from DE or the surrounding area to NC? If so please share your thoughts on the pros and cons of the area.

We do plan on visiting NC in August. We just wanted to get some personal perspectives.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
I'm PMing you.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,041 times
Thumbs down Mecklenburg county schools for special education

I hope you and your family enjoy your visit to NC. I love it here in the Charlotte area. We May be leaving after the next school year though. My son is Autistic and we are not pleased with the Mecklenburg County system at ALL! My son goes to a small school ( in a small class ) in Mecklenburg county. We were told it was the best school because of the ratings it received ( Blue Ribbon, School of Excellence) I can tell you from a personal experience and being honest. I would look into a private school. I believe that CMS has alot to be desired when it comes to teaching autistic children in a public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina