Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,029 times

Advertisements

The company I work for Amarr Is building a plant in Mocksville this fall and some of us Kansan's will be relocating to the area. My question is-

1) Best places to rent with in a 30 mile area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 09:02 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas
The company I work for Amarr Is building a plant in Mocksville this fall and some of us Kansan's will be relocating to the area. My question is-

1) Best places to rent with in a 30 mile area?
The garage door place? Looks like you'll be right off I-40. 30 miles will give you a choice of Statesville - about 20 miles to the west, or Winston-Salem - some 20 miles to the east. If you want to be close to all the amenities, I'd advise W-S. The growth in that area is very aggressive. You'd have shopping, hospitals, restaurants - all within 30 minutes from your workplace. A bit closer in would be Clemmons, off I-40 before getting to W-S proper.

Mocksville itself has some apartment complexes; it's a town that is just getting started on a growth spurt so we haven't yet seen an explosion in transient growth accomodations.

A good place to start would be checking out the paper: Winston-Salem Journal http://www.journalnow.com/

Gotta warn you: Mocksville is a small place (right now). Don't expect much excitement around here - you'll have to go to W-S for that

Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM

Default W-S sounds great

W-S sounds alot like Lawrence but with more to do. I enjoy having Kansas University here due to the college sports scene so having Wake Forrest there is a definite plus. However, having KU here does have it's disadvantages like rent is higher as is cost of living. What is the econimic situation there, cost of gas(car), rent for a two bd rm apt, cost of milk, hamburger, bread and such.

Much thanks for all your time helping me(us-Amarr employees) getting things checked out.

P.S. how's the weather seasons there aswell. This next week(next 7 days) here in Kansas the high temp. will avg 102. Does it get that hot there too? and do you have nice and snowy winters? we get Icy winters with little snow.

Last edited by Kansas; 07-15-2006 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas
What is the econimic situation there, cost of gas(car), rent for a two bd rm apt, cost of milk, hamburger, bread and such.
P.S. how's the weather seasons there aswell. This next week(next 7 days) here in Kansas the high temp. will avg 102. Does it get that hot there too? and do you have nice and snowy winters? we get Icy winters with little snow.
Wellll ... ummm...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Dori_Anjin/Mocksville/Roadunder10inchesofsnow.jpg (broken link)

That's The Storm of 2004, usually said with a "dun-dun-DUN" preamble. There's a road under that 10" of snow. That's the most we've seen in almost 10 years of living here (Mocksville area). It was gone in a few days. Winters are mostly cold and nasty, with ice sometimes. My family is still in the Kansas City area, my recollections of Midwest winters make the season here seem barely noticable. Summers see the low 90s. Not unbearable, but also not the kind of temps that make you want to get out and do laps around a track. July and August is typically when people stay inside or go up to the mountains on the weekends. Fall is wonderful.

Cost of living:
Gas is running 2.83-2.89 around here right now
Food -- we have several chains in this area, running from the low-end Food Lion, to Harris Teeter, to Lowes. Lowes seems to be a favorite. There is one at ... exit 180, I think. 10 miles up from the 601 exit (170) where your workplace is located. They are an online grocery store; you can actually order your groceries in advance and have them waiting for you to pick up. So, to get a list of food prices, go to their site: lowesfood (fill out the rest to make it a URL - we're not allowed to do that here for most stuff).
Apartments -- are you folks working with a relocation counselor? From driving around, I know there are quite a few decent apartment complexes in the Clemmons/W-S area, but info I'm short on.

Viewing the area as a former Midwesterner, I'd say they is plenty more to do. There's the mountain/beach stuff, Charlotte has a pro football league, NASCAR (of course), you are within driving range of Washington, DC and the Disney stuff in Florida. We've certainly had more interesting lives since moving here Don't count on the first year being easy, it's just too big a change to take in that quickly. However we are going on 20 years and have been happy.

Anymore questions, just holler

Old 07-17-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Great info

That really helps knowing about prices and all. It's almost right on with prices here. sounds like the scenery is going to be the biggest difference. again thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,022 times
Default Schools

Moving to Davie county?
Have children in school?

Regardless of what grade they may be in
Go to private school, home school or stay put.

DHS is the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina