Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Island change: cost of living, tax reductions, house prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking that it is so sad that many of us, more then we even know, are being squeezed out here due to taxes, electric and there are other reasons.

LI without the costs is a nice place to live and raise a family, anywhere you are, you are only 15-30 miles from beach, an hour or two from mountains, more if you want to go further and again depending where you live the excitement of Manhattan.

I have lived here my entire life and the changes other then costs, are sad too. The roads have pot holes, the stores look run down and the overall look of the area to me (IMO) is looking run down and I live in what is considered a good area.

Rush hr starts at 3 and ends at 7 and we are talking parking lot, sitting go nowhere traffic, not a reduction from 55 to 35 mph, a reduction to 0.

Everytime another thing hits me, I ask myself why do people stay? Many stay for family, other for jobs..and some I think out of fear

.but many staying for the jobs (PO, FD, county jobs) I see leaving once they retire with their NY pensions and the same state that is struggling to pay them, they aren't even using those funds here.

Even tissues cost more here, another poster stated tissues in NC were $2.00 for one box, here they are 29 cents higher-2.29 for one box, do they make them differently for people on LI, I don't think so.

The cost to get them here or anywhere it stil the same yet we pay more? A lot of reasons is the Unions and the salaries...which is another issue...Unions. They were set up to assist the American worker, now I think they have hurt all Americans including the ones that belong..

No matter where you go, there will always be something-There is no perfectr place...but sometimes anywhere is better then where you currently are and sometimes not....

sorry for the rant I just get so fed up with what we pay to live here and really get nothing in return for these costs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 PM

293 posts, read 958,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
I was just thinking that it is so sad that many of us, more then we even know, are being squeezed out here due to taxes, electric and there are other reasons.

LI without the costs is a nice place to live and raise a family, anywhere you are, you are only 15-30 miles from beach, an hour or two from mountains, more if you want to go further and again depending where you live the excitement of Manhattan.

I have lived here my entire life and the changes other then costs, are sad too. The roads have pot holes, the stores look run down and the overall look of the area to me (IMO) is looking run down and I live in what is considered a good area.

Rush hr starts at 3 and ends at 7 and we are talking parking lot, sitting go nowhere traffic, not a reduction from 55 to 35 mph, a reduction to 0.

Everytime another thing hits me, I ask myself why do people stay? Many stay for family, other for jobs..and some I think out of fear

.but many staying for the jobs (PO, FD, county jobs) I see leaving once they retire with their NY pensions and the same state that is struggling to pay them, they aren't even using those funds here.

Even tissues cost more here, another poster stated tissues in NC were $2.00 for one box, here they are 29 cents higher-2.29 for one box, do they make them differently for people on LI, I don't think so.

The cost to get them here or anywhere it stil the same yet we pay more? A lot of reasons is the Unions and the salaries...which is another issue...Unions. They were set up to assist the American worker, now I think they have hurt all Americans including the ones that belong..

No matter where you go, there will always be something-There is no perfectr place...but sometimes anywhere is better then where you currently are and sometimes not....

sorry for the rant I just get so fed up with what we pay to live here and really get nothing in return for these costs...
I agree.. I really love it here on LI, however you can NEVER get ahead. I want what it best for my children. I know that they will never be able to afford living here on their own when the time comes. It is sad that the middle class is being forced out. My husband and I both lost our jobs within 2 months!! What a scary thing. Thank goodness he just started a new job this week. It's funny that you should mention areas that are looking run down. Just the other day we went to a friends house in a very exclusive area(the house must be worth over 2million)-but my husband and I both said how run down the main road was to get to their house.(stores boarded up,etc.). We couldn't believe it! I had my doubts about moving, but now after all of the research I have done on areas,schools,etc.,I am getting excited. Now to sell my house!!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Does this article describe what's happening on LI accurately?

http://www.longislandindex.org/151.0.html

Old 07-11-2006, 12:44 PM

I am with you, there is a certain amt of fear leaving the comfort zone and the schools issue, as our schools are good...but...like you, at least if I relocate, I give my kids the chance they can live in the area they grow up (as they still young 6 & 8) instead of leaving...it is inevitable, that most people here, we have to leave as eventually as many cannot afford to retire here. My gosh, my taxes would be close to $20k by then - but I do know many are struggling it out to let their kids continue in the schools...it is a very hard decision to make but I look at all the issues..weigh pros and cons and both...to make my decision..but i will tell you after getting my LIPA bill today, it really got me mad, just wait until Sept when the new school tax bills come out...I will be sitting down when I open that one, and even with the rebate they promise, my taxes still go up over $600 or more -

Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Just know that with the reduction in taxes there is often the reduction in services. They have amazing roads in NC, but that is somewhat a function of a moderate climate. My niece lives in Beaufort on the coast, and has a special needs child. We all grew up in Suburban Detroit (where we paid taxes up the wazooo), but had really strong schools etc. She has had a real problem finding services for her little boy. They have kind of had to do a lot of patchwork (thankfully her husband is a social worker). Not the kind of one-stop-shopping that you get in more highly taxed areas.
Just don't be surprised when the local government there doesn't want too many of your suggestions for improvement. If you like it the way you find it, you will do great. However, you aren't going to fundamentally change anything, unless you go to one of the areas dominated by transplants. Of course, those areas are eventually going to have the same problems you are facing in Long Island.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 PM

I am not looking to change anything, as for services, most of ones here, I do not use or qualify for...As for the same problems faced here on LI, one never knows what will occur..You also have to consider is the price you pay worth those "services"

Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Does this article describe what's happening on LI accurately?

http://www.longislandindex.org/151.0.html
yes it does...while at the end a person noted she is optimistic, I do not see how...While there is a market correction in real estate, houses will not drop that much...these houses will NEVER be affordable to many...many college grads either rent in the city with some friends or still live at home, and those newly married, even earning a 6 figure income still cannot afford a home, just think of the down payment on a $500k home and then the cost of that mortage, add taxes, etc...many do it with creative financing but as time goes on, they are spending less on life and more just to live...
What also happens is people can't afford to live here so people make illegal apts to help pay their mortgages- Nass has been trying to crack down on this...

I really do not know what the future holds here...as in any area, there will always be people that have money and stay, more and more parents are helpng their kids just so they do not have to leave.......they are even considering a personal income tax to help...

Thanks for forwarding..

Last edited by Weis02; 07-11-2006 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
yes it does...while at the end a person noted she is optimistic, I do not see how...While there is a market correction in real estate, houses will not drop that much...these houses will NEVER be affordable to many...many college grads either rent in the city with some friends or still live at home, and those newly married, even earning a 6 figure income still cannot afford a home, just think of the down payment on a $500k home and then the cost of that mortage, add taxes, etc...many do it with creative financing but as time goes on, they are spending less on life and more just to live...
What also happens is people can't afford to live here so people make illegal apts to help pay their mortgages- Nass has been trying to crack down on this...

I really do not know what the future holds here...as in any area, there will always be people that have money and stay, more and more parents are helpng their kids just so they do not have to leave.......they are even considering a personal income tax to help...

Thanks for forwarding..
Im Live on LI also. Im in my early 20's and live in the hamptons. My fiancee and I make over 100k a year and can't afford a house. The only house you can find is 2 bedroom 1 bath cottage. How are you suppose to raise a family in that. Espically when your taxes are 5k a year. We just went and checked out charlotte and loved it. I want to move but im worried about finding a job and a guess overall just leaving my comfort zone. I know its best but am nervous.

any advice to someone looking to move from LI?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ
Im Live on LI also. Im in my early 20's and live in the hamptons. My fiancee and I make over 100k a year and can't afford a house. The only house you can find is 2 bedroom 1 bath cottage. How are you suppose to raise a family in that. Espically when your taxes are 5k a year. We just went and checked out charlotte and loved it. I want to move but im worried about finding a job and a guess overall just leaving my comfort zone. I know its best but am nervous.

any advice to someone looking to move from LI?
I think we all have a comfort zone and hate to leave. Me too. I have a new house and wife and I have greats jobs. But, tired of the area. I hear all your conerns and they are normal.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:11 PM

58 posts, read 344,378 times
I think many people stay on the island because they can't get ahead enough to leave, many people are stuck! I sure am glad I got out when I did. I loved living there, but I love even more not having to struggle and work 12+ hours a day to get by and not even own an house. I still love to visit LI, and see my friends (some of which are already talking about moving south before they get stuck), but that is what it is so quickly becoming, a place to vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina