U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times

Advertisements

I've been collecting unemployment benefits and having these deposited into an NC "EPPI" debit card account instead of receiving checks each week. This is very convenient, but I'm finding that I cannot use this card at some businesses. I've never had a debit card before, so maybe I'm using it incorrectly. When I buy something at a business (e.g., Target, Home Depot, restaurants, grocery store) and pay at the cash register, it works OK. But when I buy something online or over the phone (e.g., ordering plane tickets, reserving a hotel) or try to pay at the pump at a gas station, it gets denied. Is this just a "feature" of this NC ESC debit card, or is it operator error?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,930,568 times
My wife is unemployed and has the same issues. She can go into the gas stations and prepay inside with the card, but she cannot use it at the pump. She hasn't tried tickets or anything yet.

What she sometimes does is withdraw some of the money then deposit into our checking account and uses her normal debit card with no problems.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She can go into the gas stations and prepay inside with the card, but she cannot use it at the pump.
Exactly. Unfortunately I can't do that because I have 2 kids in car seats. I'll probably have to do the cash advance/bank deposit trick too. I can't use the money in the account fast enough with only a trip to the grocery store each week.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 AM

44 posts, read 162,773 times
You can get the UI direct deposited into your bank account and use your own debit card. That's what I did.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 66,618 times
how long did it take you to receive your debit card for unployment? ive been waiting 2 weeks for mine

Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by country069 View Post
how long did it take you to receive your debit card for unployment? ive been waiting 2 weeks for mine
I don't remember. That was over 8 months ago and I've had a few beers since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina