Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 16,116 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me advice on high schools in the Fayetteville area? I'm from the Annapolis, MD, area and I'm considering relocating. Also, which are the best neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
We moved to Fayetteville last summer and there were only 5 High Schools that I would consider:
1 Terry Sanford, good school but in the center of the city, expensive to live there, and close to not so nice areas
2 Jack Britt, outer edges of Fayetteville and Cumberland county (SW), new school, nice, mostly newer areas/subdivisions feed into it, though some older ones too. Varied price ranges (I live here).
3 Southview (Hope Mills--town surrounded by Fayetteville)
4 Grays Creek
5 Cape Fear
The last two are in the less developed areas in Eastern Cumberland county (Fayetteville and Eastover)

Best neighborhoods...depends on price range, what you want for your money.
For example, my neighborhood avg price range is 215-280K, has schools that have total best test scores (elem, middle and high) and houses are around 2000-2500 sq ft, built starting in 2002-3, with decent yards (about .25 acres) You can get more house, better design, added things like granite counters etc standard in other neighborhoods nearby, for more money.
Or less house or older for less.
Joan

Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 16,116 times
Joan - thank you for the info. I had no idea where to start looking at real estate and you've narrowed it down for me greatly. Thanks again

Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 AM

123 posts, read 511,628 times
kc,
check out the front page of the Fayetteville Observer this week. doing an all-week series on Fayetteville housing..suggest strongly that you read it all before contacting a Real Estate agent. Lots-and I mean lots of developements are going "belly up". Please, don't get suckered in.
Neighboring Moore County has real good schools. A stabilized Real Estate market and a whole lot more "ambience". 45 minutes to Fayetteville. And no, I'm not in real estate, nor trying to sell my house. Just hate to see someone get taken in.
JC

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM

16 posts, read 76,715 times
Post Helpful Link to Cumberland County School System, Fayetteville

Cumberland County, NC School System - Official Site:

Cumberland County Schools - Fayetteville, North Carolina (http://www.ccs.k12.nc.us/Default.htm - broken link)

If you are considering a home, or have a few different prospects, you can find the school district of a particular address by clicking on the "Find my School" button on the following page:

CCS' Find Your School (http://www.ccs.k12.nc.us/FindYourSchool.htm - broken link)

*When considering a home based on the school district, see the district maps accessible from the page above, as well.

Notable Facts about Cumberland County Schools:
• 79th largest school district in the USA out of 14,470 • 4th largest school district in N.C.
• Second largest employer in Cumberland County (behind the military)

Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM

116 posts, read 331,875 times
We live in the Hope Mills area (in a subdivision off of Elk road, which is home to Southview High and Southview Middle). It's a great little neighborhood with homes as low as $154 right now (they're finishing up building, and that's the lowest cost of the new construction...I'm sure there are other homes that are a few years old at a lower price). My kids all go to Baldwin Elementary, which is literally a 4 minute drive from our home. I love the school. We have a brand new principal, so it remains to be seen whether that'll be a good change or not, but they've had nothing but great teachers during the 5 years they've been going there. The area, in general, is a quiet, peaceful area. My husband is military, and it only takes about a 20 minute drive for me to get to the commissary. It's only about a 10 minute drive to downtown Fayetteville, and about the same to the center of it all, where the mall is, and just about all of the retail and restaurant establishments are. I love it over here.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times
The Cape Fear district is really growing....lots of nice subdivisions popping up in the area. Two are just down the road from Mac Williams Middle & Cape Fear. And the Eastover area is just BOOMING in growth, with really nice subdivisions/houses.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:25 PM

558 posts, read 818,822 times
I used to live in this neighborhood a while back! I think everything you said is right on the money. It's a nice, quiet area, not too far from everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
We live in the Hope Mills area (in a subdivision off of Elk road, which is home to Southview High and Southview Middle). It's a great little neighborhood with homes as low as $154 right now (they're finishing up building, and that's the lowest cost of the new construction...I'm sure there are other homes that are a few years old at a lower price). My kids all go to Baldwin Elementary, which is literally a 4 minute drive from our home. I love the school. We have a brand new principal, so it remains to be seen whether that'll be a good change or not, but they've had nothing but great teachers during the 5 years they've been going there. The area, in general, is a quiet, peaceful area. My husband is military, and it only takes about a 20 minute drive for me to get to the commissary. It's only about a 10 minute drive to downtown Fayetteville, and about the same to the center of it all, where the mall is, and just about all of the retail and restaurant establishments are. I love it over here.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM

67 posts, read 285,415 times
I agree with everything said about Baldwin and the area on Elk Rd, but be careful - there are some other areas of Hope Mills that have big drug problems.

BTW - I know the new principal at Baldwin, and she is good - your kids will like her.

I work in the Britt district now - very comparable to SV area, except the area is much newer.

You can't go wrong with either area. Just be aware that Fayetteville is very strange in that nice, safe neighborhoods are frequently right next to the worst neighborhoods!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,054 times
That does sum it up for sure. I grew up in Fayetteville and lived in the subdivision area of Devonwood and The Lakes. was a nice area to grow up in, but across the street basically, you have Foxfire which wasn't so nice. Westover High School also had a mix of issues there, parts were good, parts bad.

how are the schools like Westover, 71st, Douglas Byrd, Pine Forrrest doing now? (there is another one, can't recall the name)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina