U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:24 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 790,236 times
Default Will 2008 bring some nasty surprises?

Real estate reassessment is scheduled for next year.

Considering home values have little or nothing to do with tax values around here, are we in for a nasty surprise or two next year?

Property Taxes will likely be going up (and perhaps significantly) across the board.

Will home prices be affected by a current tax valuation?

Peer into your crystal ball and share some insight, opinions, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 05:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,564,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Real estate reassessment is scheduled for next year.

Considering home values have little or nothing to do with tax values around here, are we in for a nasty surprise or two next year?

Property Taxes will likely be going up (and perhaps significantly) across the board.

Will home prices be affected by a current tax valuation?

Peer into your crystal ball and share some insight, opinions, etc.
Oh we will be seeing our taxes go up...no doubt there....not even sure that takes a crystal ball.

Home prices....since we've not had the huge jumps in the past that certain bubble markets have, I don't think it will effect those in a huge way....but I think it may prevent a bubble from forming in the future. (This is a good thing in my opinion.) Nothing like taxes to bring folks back to reality.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,013,271 times
They ran a story in the News & Observer on this topic.

enjoy,

http://www.newsobserver.com/167/story/444798.html (broken link)

Last edited by autumngal; 04-30-2007 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 PM

18,940 posts, read 28,399,761 times
There will not be a huge across the board tax increase.

Thre will be a small tax increase, on average. Some folks will feel it a little more than others, but overall assessments will not be brought to market value.

"That's because county commissioners usually lower the tax rate at the same time to offset the higher property values. If they don't, they still have to publicize what the lower rate would be."

Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,437,414 times
Default Real Estate Taxes

Autumngal - thanks for posting. Our taxes were getting too high and they're now capped at 3%.yr. If I read the article correctly, the increase would be 5% per year.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,013,271 times
Default can't find it...

Can't find the latest story from the news & observer maybe it was another local media, hmmmmmm.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 AM

85 posts, read 204,512 times
Wow; I'm suprised NC reasseses only 8 years or so.

Up here it's done every year ... it's always a pleasure to see those guys from the town lurking around the property trying to get a look inside so they can decide to raise the assessed value of the house some absurd amount for no reason! They always ask to come in and look at the house and I never let them.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:22 AM

648 posts, read 1,961,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
Wow; I'm suprised NC reasseses only 8 years or so.
I'm pretty sure that's a county thing...

Old 05-01-2007, 07:36 AM

576 posts, read 2,081,100 times
I don't pretend to be an authority on the subject but from what's been told to me California seems to have an excellent and hands-off method of assessment. They supposedly assess at sale prices then automatically increase the assessment a fixed % per year thereafter. Obviously that doesn't account for abnormally low sale prices such as $1 sales to relatives, etc. but it sounds like it negates the need for a huge bureaucracy to manage never ending and repeated manual assessments like we have in NY.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 AM

3,401 posts, read 5,879,434 times
Back in Virginia we had reassessments annually and the rates were NOT lowered at the same time (even during a time of crazy appreciation). In a three-year period the property tax on my house doubled (from $1800/year to nearly $4K)!

I know the appraisal on my current house is quite low compared to market value - it will be interesting to see how much my bill increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina