U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,376 times

Advertisements

I have visited NC and would live to move there, but I am not sure which areas are nice to move too. I have heard nice things about them all, but unsure which is the best for affordable housing, clean and nice area, stores, schools etc. Could anyone give me advice on the following towns.
Southern Pines?
Leland?
Wilmington?
Elizabethtown?

Also, which ones are the nicest for a somewhat young person to start over.

TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

3,943 posts, read 7,530,847 times
Do you need to find a job? If so, the nicest town is where the job is.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,376 times
I was offered a position in Pembroke, however; I have been there briefly and I do not want to move in that area. I do not mind driving some distance to my job and that is why I am wondering which town is nicer.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,436,719 times
Of the ones you mention, Southern Pines is not too far from Pembroke but I don't know if it would make a commute you'd want all the time. The Sandhills area (which includes Southern Pines) is a HUGE golfing paradise and if you play golf, by all means choose there! If not--the population includes many, many retirees and someone your age might not like it so much.

Wilmington is a small city and would be the only one of the ones you mention with any "nightlife" whatsoever, to speak of. Leland is near Wilmington but more of a suburb. I can't speak for Elizabethtown, but imagine it's very small-town.

"Nicer" is a very subjective word and perhaps you will need to list what traits of a place are most important to you...cost of living? Recreation? Nightlife? Opportunities to take classes? Traffic? All of these have varying degrees of importance to different people and someone else's "nicer" might not be yours.

But, of the ones you list, I think that unless you're a golfer, only Wilmington would even be on the radar of someone in her 30s.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
I agree with francois, Wilmington is your better option

Old 09-09-2009, 02:12 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Wilmington, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina