U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 PM

81 posts, read 149,689 times
Default Dad checking out Fayetteville,NC for Daughter

My daughter asked me to do "my dad thing" for her...this means finding out the good and the bad points of things...from a dad's perspective....Here's my story: my daughter is a recent college grad and will be on her own...no family/friends in the area...i am concerned about the normal stuff...especially for young women.....CRIME!! i/she wants to live in a fairly safe area...we already live outside of an urban area that is known for its homicide rate and overall crime..so we are used to looking over our shoulders and being aware of our surroundings...but we know nothing about this area other than what we see here....

so we are looking for advice...1)safe areas to live 2)social/night life for young,professionals....and just general info that a DAD would want to know!!

thanks....i appreciate any help here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM

7,943 posts, read 10,333,340 times
What kind of work would she be doing? NC is not a place to move without a job, these days.

Fayetteville would not be at the top of my list for a young single woman; it's a huge military town. But if she's got a job offer there, of course that's where she will need to be.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,753 times
I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to move to this city. No social life, no jobs, the people are weird and i could go on....tell her don't do it!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,959,831 times
Oh please, there are plenty of worse places to live. The Fayetteville bashers will be out in force with this thread.

There are many nice areas to live and lots of things to get invilved in in the area. You can search my old posts for some examples.

Here is a good website for local info.
Fayetteville Wants YOU

It is military oriented but has great relocation info.

I can recommend the apartment complex we have been staying in while our house is being built. It is quiet and safe and runs $650 for 2 bedroom units.

Nightlife is varied but is oriented to her age group with the 50,000 paratroopers in town.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
DPK

1,023 posts, read 1,213,705 times
I was born and raised in Fayetteville. I lived there for 18 years. I'm 25 now and don't want to go back, if that puts anything in perspective. My parents moved as well when my younger sister graduated high school.

The local government there always seemed like it had its head on backwards, there's not a lot of nightlife, and for a young girl probably not ideal. The entire city is basically a support system for the military.

I'm not saying I don't have some good childhood memories from living there, but it's not someplace I really want to imagine myself settling down.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What kind of work would she be doing? NC is not a place to move without a job, these days.

Fayetteville would not be at the top of my list for a young single woman; it's a huge military town. But if she's got a job offer there, of course that's where she will need to be.
She is a "young professional" and it's a pretty nice paycheck and she does have other options but she liked the idea of moving south and staying in a warmer climate than some of the other offers...we are talking the very northern states and some pretty remote areas...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM

44,384 posts, read 54,955,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevio63 View Post
She is a "young professional" and it's a pretty nice paycheck and she does have other options but she liked the idea of moving south and staying in a warmer climate than some of the other offers...we are talking the very northern states and some pretty remote areas...
Have you considered other areas of the state where a young professional might be more at home?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I was born and raised in Fayetteville. I lived there for 18 years. I'm 25 now and don't want to go back, if that puts anything in perspective. My parents moved as well when my younger sister graduated high school.

The local government there always seemed like it had its head on backwards, there's not a lot of nightlife, and for a young girl probably not ideal. The entire city is basically a support system for the military.

I'm not saying I don't have some good childhood memories from living there, but it's not someplace I really want to imagine myself settling down.
i'm glad you responded..i need your perspective...i know how you feel but IF you had great job offer in this city...how would you go about living your life here? would you commute from another town in the area? i've heard that Raleigh is a nice area for "yuppyish" people...is it close enough to commute? i know it's not that far to drive to have a good time on the weekend.but give me more if you don't mind...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have you considered other areas of the state where a young professional might be more at home?
well...the job is in this city...she is looking at GA,ND,Indiana,Ohio among others...i've been looking at the GA one but get a real bad vibe from what i see here on the forum and what i have found on the internet...i asked the young 25 year old about Raleigh....what do you think...commutable or not...is it that much better than Fayetteville..especially factoring in drive times? is it more "yuppie" friendly?? she is young professional but not a snob or anything...she's comfortable in almost any surroundings..but would not like to go to "hole in the wall" or "dive" bars...if you know what i mean.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 10,333,340 times
Raleigh to Fayetteville is too far to commute longterm. It's about 1-1.5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina