U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,188,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shofar View Post
are there any secluded areas where i would be able to buy acres of land?
Oh sure. Just google "NC+farmland for sale", or some such keyword to indicate your interest in a rural area. I'd post some of my links, but they'd get *poofed* for being commercial

Just keep in mind your other needs may dictate the availability. If you have to be near a major populated area because of jobs, the distance you'll have to commute to available/reasonably priced acreage will vary. Bear in mind that a rural area, close to a city, may become over run in a decade. 20 years ago, I'd never have thought that Union county would be developed, but the Charlotte population is now spilling that way. If you want "scenic" property, like the mountain areas that are now so popular, you'll find an additional cost/availability to that. If you want "plain ol' land", out in the boonies, there's plenty to be found in this state. Here again, keep in mind the drawbacks on that: you might have to be on well/septic, availability of internet access, access to commercial/medical facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,354 times
Take a look at Creedmoor, NC and surrounding areas. Creedmoor is about twenty minutes north of Raleigh. It also has shopping, and things to do within a twenty mile radius in all directions. The schools, churches and community are great. We moved here from the midwest four years ago and love it. I work with several peaople who are near your age who have relocated here as well. I found Creedmoor by looking on a map and then researching the area. It has been a great place to live. small town feel with access to large area attractions. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 AM

30 posts, read 112,207 times
We recently moved back to MI and find that there's no better, nicer, more beautiful place like Northern Michigan. NC is not as great as we thought it may be. Don't fall into the teacher trap that my wife did.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 PM

16 posts, read 47,578 times
Hello!
I noticed you are in Brooklyn? I'm moving my husband from NEPA to NC. (And he is fighting me tooth and nail!) I am originally from the Chesapeake Bay and can't stand the cold weather in the Poconos. We have 3 small children and are looking to move to the East coast of NC. Any suggestions? We are both small town people but like to be within 20 or 30 miiles of some kind of night life. (we are in are early 30's.) We would like to be near the water and the places we are considering now are Washington and Greenville. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:42 PM

473 posts, read 659,209 times
Hi, Sunshine Mom!

There is the Small-Town Rural Life thread that you can check out, if you're looking for a quieter area with proximity to a city offering nightlife.

You'll want to narrow down your search to a smaller (or several smaller) areas, concentrating on the 30-minute radius around the major cities like Raleigh. Do a City-Data search for the demographics of the chosen area(s); when one sounds good, come back and ask specific questions.

The City-Data searches will tell you (down past economic info and so on) what are the nearest cities and those cities' populations.

There is still land available in Eastern North Carolina. When you say 'water,' would you be happy with lake-water, or does it have to be ocean? Because there are several good lakes (like Lake Gaston and Kerr Lake) in the upper Piedmont area (central NC). Take a look at the counties map at the beginning of the NC Forum for more information!

Last edited by Nims; 02-01-2008 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM

3,491 posts, read 7,862,188 times
I think Welcome, NC might be your fit. It just west of Lexington. Also Mocksville, NC is a nice pretty little quiet town.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM

18 posts, read 89,236 times
How many homes/families are inthese areas? Mocksville? Genesis? Green Acres? Mt.Airey email address is dandgwh@srt.com only for replys to the questions Thankyou very much tahnks for your time . I think I need to move to a small rural area inNC before the homes are too expensive my range is 50,000-65,000 . thank you Dianne

Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,188,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollasoluuu29 View Post
Mocksville? my range is 50,000-65,000
You'd be hard-pressed to find anything nice in Davie County (Mocksville) for that price, unless you are looking at something like a single wide. Even the falling down mill houses in Coolemee (an old mill town) are going for 60-70+. Davie County and Mocksville is becoming kind of the "country side" to the Winston-Salem metropolis - something like Cabarrus County and Concord is to Charlotte. A 1986 single wide sitting on 1.5 acres on highway 801 sold last year for 80k. A new development going up near me (Markland Road - by the new middle school) has houses that start at $300K.

Communities in Davie County (like Farmington) are taking notice and trying to institute measures to preserve the rural nature of the county before anymore Bermuda Runs or Kindertons are built.

You might look and come across something in your price range; there are several realtors in the area; good luck in your search.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 AM

766 posts, read 1,451,577 times
My best friend is from Lexington, NC (Davidson County). It's definitely a small town. No malls, although they do have a SuperWalmart now, Dollar General. It's the barbeque capital of NC, beautiful High Rock Lake, other than Food Lion that's about all I can think of. There's a small shopping center when you first get into town off 85 w/maybe a shoe store, Belk, and some other things.

It's about 30 minutes from Charlotte and Greensboro. The best thing (IMO) that Lexington has going for it as a small town is that it's close enough to the larger towns to go to the mall, etc in less than 30 minutes. High Point and Winston Salem also aren't far.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,669 times
I would avoid Hertford at all costs. The crime here is the worst I've seen anywhere in the world. The cops don't even work after dark, and they aren't trained except in speed radar. We have a ton of drug dealers and gang bangers here. Plus there are no jobs and no decent schools. We have only Walmart to shop at and Food Lion which is about as awful a grocery store as I've ever seen. Aside from that, the taxes are huge, utilities cost me about $1000 a month, and I can't even get a roofer or plumber to show up at my house. We're out of here as soon as we can unload this house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina