Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:01 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times

Advertisements

Check out Pittsboro in Chatham County. It has that "old small town" feel...even with an old-fashioned courthouse square in the middle of town. And for a town its size, it has a surprisingly good number of shopping and dining options...most of them within walking distance of each other in the old historic downtown district.
And it's just outside the Triangle area, for more employment and entertainment opportunities, not far away at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 02:39 AM

58 posts, read 344,462 times
I really like living in Rowan County, I live just outside the Salisbury city limits. Salisbury is a historic town with a lot of character, and nice small towns around it. I would suggest Granite Quarry, Faith, Rockwell, or Gold Hill. These are all pretty close to i-85 and shopping.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 33,246 times
Well, Hampstead is about what you describe and it isn't too far from Wilmington or Jacksonville (17 miles) and the beach is only 6 miles away. And, it has WONDERFUL schools for kids. Here's the demographics on the county, (which is fairly large in area) http://fastfacts.census.gov/servlet/...rd=&_industry=
It averages about 35 persons/square mile.

You may want to look into Hampstead as one of your considerations.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM

21 posts, read 135,008 times
If you are looking for a small town, I grew up in Fairport, NC. There is no population data though I think it is somewhere around 12. The closest real town,Kittrell (population 148), is about 7 miles away and features a stoplight, a country store, and a post office.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:08 PM

26 posts, read 121,296 times
Davie County! We currently have one High School in the county (GO WAR EAGLES!), hopefully getting a second one in the near future because of overcrowding, but in the fall, the county is all about Friday night high school football. Mocksville is a quiet little town with a lot of charm. You can be in WS at the mall in 10-15 minutes. Advance is also in DC but closer to Winston. There is a lot of new construction in the area. I live in Advance and love it here. I moved to DC because of the schools, my daughter is in 7th grade and I have been extremely pleased with the school system. Come check us out...it's a great place to raise a family.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:44 PM
ajb

10 posts, read 51,845 times
check out "lexington" it has a population of about 19,000 & some nice rural areas especially around the lake.
ajb

Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywed View Post
We relocated to Fayetteville from MI almost one year ago. We love North Carolina, but are not so hot on Fayetteville. My husband and I are both from very small towns and would like to return to a rural area. We are looking for things like proximity (20 mins or less) to stores, restaurants, malls, etc., a "small-town" feel such as a pride in Friday night high school football, everybody knows everybody, that kind of thing. We also don't want to live in a dump. We are 27 and 28 years old and are about to start a family also. Any suggestions?

I like the tiny town of Faith, south of Salisbury - the kind of place that does a big to-do for the 4th of July Also, look at Mt. Airy, Newton/Conover, New Bern, Waynesville, just to name a few

Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 31,813 times
Hey, what about Newton which is a small community with an old town square with an old movie house showing all recent films at 3.50 a pop? Hickory is just 15 minutes away for the mall, shopping, entertainment, etc. Also, you could try Maiden. Both of these towns are in the foothills. Inexpensive living, great communities, low housing cost and very family friendly. Oh, did I mention that the towns go NUTS for Friday night football? Check out Bandy's h.s and Maiden H.s!!! Good luck with your search!

Old 12-06-2006, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,583 times
Default Newton

I live in Newton and I love it here! Especially downtown newton, they have everything! I would definitely suggest Gepettos... it's the best restaurant in the town in my opinion! Plus like mentioned above the really cheap old theatre right across the street from gepettos... and lots of cute unique stores! Plus we have parades every year that are a big hit... and high school football is always the big thing going on on fridays... Maiden and Newton-Conover, where I go, have a REALLY big rivalry so going to those games is always fun. Plus N-CHS is a really great high school. And I'm not saying that just because I go there. It offers lots of cool classes and has really great teachers, for the most part. You should definitely move here!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 PM

131 posts, read 188,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
If you are interested in looking a little closer to the water and aren't afraid, of Storms, then you might consider some of the small towns near the Pamlico or Albamarle sounds.
Bath Pantego or Belhaven.or
Plymouth, Edenton, Hertford or Elizabeth.
I am originally from MI, and used to live in NC-not far from bethanytedder, but in a larger city than you are interested in.
they are lots of great little towns to choose from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina