U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 20,837 times

Advertisements

We relocated to Fayetteville from MI almost one year ago. We love North Carolina, but are not so hot on Fayetteville. My husband and I are both from very small towns and would like to return to a rural area. We are looking for things like proximity (20 mins or less) to stores, restaurants, malls, etc., a "small-town" feel such as a pride in Friday night high school football, everybody knows everybody, that kind of thing. We also don't want to live in a dump. We are 27 and 28 years old and are about to start a family also. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,631,056 times
Which region of NC do you want, Mountain, Piedmont or Coastal Plain?

Define "small town", population wise. For reference, the city of Fayetteville is around 125K.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-17-2006 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-17-2006, 12:42 PM

787 posts, read 3,317,460 times
If you want to come east, I live in Greene County, Snow Hill to be specific. Although that town is totally rural, we are positioned directly in the middle of Lenoir, Wilson, Wayne, and Pitt Counties. At best we are 25 miles from each place with Wilson, NC being the furtherest and Kinston, at 15 miles, being the closest. We live right outside the town but still we are the last house in the city limits going towards Kinston as we are 14 miles from Lenoir Memorial Hospital in Kinston, Pitt County Memorial in Greenville is located about 18 miles from us, Wilson Memorial in Wilson, NC is about 25 miles from us and Wayne Memorial in Goldsboro, NC is about 19 miles from us. Depending on the area of the county that you move to, you might be closer to some of these areas. But Snow Hill is the county seat and the commutes to these larger cities are not that bad if you don't work in Greene County itself. I will be the first to admit that normally people don't move here on purpose. They usually arrive here by two means, either they were born and raised here or they marry someone that was born and raised here as my husband was. Then we have our neighbor Robert who did come here on purpose. Which might explain his "strange" behavior. I have stories believe me but he is really cool to be around. The housing costs are not that bad either. If you don't like it here, believe me there are a lot of smaller towns floating around in the east at least and I am sure they are in the other portions of the state as well. Since you mentioned Fayetteville, I assumed you were interested in the east. But if the heat is more than you can handle here, perhaps take a look at Mt. Airy in the mountainous area near the Virginia border.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:12 PM

We prefer the Coastal Plains but would go to the Piedmont region as well. Small town, hmmm, the town I came from had a population of about 850, but the county was about 31,000, so probably somewhere in the neighborhood of the county population at most or less.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
If you want to come east, I live in Greene County, Snow Hill to be specific. Although that town is totally rural, we are positioned directly in the middle of Lenoir, Wilson, Wayne, and Pitt Counties. At best we are 25 miles from each place with Wilson, NC being the furtherest and Kinston, at 15 miles, being the closest. We live right outside the town but still we are the last house in the city limits going towards Kinston as we are 14 miles from Lenoir Memorial Hospital in Kinston, Pitt County Memorial in Greenville is located about 18 miles from us, Wilson Memorial in Wilson, NC is about 25 miles from us and Wayne Memorial in Goldsboro, NC is about 19 miles from us. Depending on the area of the county that you move to, you might be closer to some of these areas. But Snow Hill is the county seat and the commutes to these larger cities are not that bad if you don't work in Greene County itself. I will be the first to admit that normally people don't move here on purpose. They usually arrive here by two means, either they were born and raised here or they marry someone that was born and raised here as my husband was. Then we have our neighbor Robert who did come here on purpose. Which might explain his "strange" behavior. I have stories believe me but he is really cool to be around. The housing costs are not that bad either. If you don't like it here, believe me there are a lot of smaller towns floating around in the east at least and I am sure they are in the other portions of the state as well. Since you mentioned Fayetteville, I assumed you were interested in the east. But if the heat is more than you can handle here, perhaps take a look at Mt. Airy in the mountainous area near the Virginia border.
Thank you for your input, we really appreciate it. The weather is great, we don't mind the heat. I will check out the area you mentioned, you never know...

Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM

787 posts, read 3,317,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywed
Thank you for your input, we really appreciate it. The weather is great, we don't mind the heat. I will check out the area you mentioned, you never know...

Hey, just let me know. I would be happy to give you the 50 cent tour. We have a lot of community pride which is good because that, two pharmacies, a grocery store, laundromat, a couple of dollar stores, a McDonalds, Bojangles, a funeral home, hardware stores, a video store, etc. is all we have. We have no walmart, no theater, no bowling alley. But they are located straight down 258 S going to Kinston for about 14 miles. The average home now is about $100,000.00 although we bought the house we are in now in 1992. It is on .9 of an acre of land and we paid 60,500.00 for the 8 year old, 1700 square ranch. Green Acres has some good smaller and older homes for about $50,000.00. Planters Walk directly down the road from Green Acres are newer and more expensive, something like $125,000.00 perhaps. Now my mother went into the most expensive area behind the tennis courts and club house and she build a 2300 square foot brick house two years ago there for right at $200,000.00. Greenridge Road would be the more expensive areas. And there is a new area for lower incomes just coming into town called Genesis Hills. And of course there is the historic district as well. Older homes that have survived for a century. Snow Hill has a population of about 2000 people perhaps if they count the prisoners. But I wouldn't want to live on 903 going towards Maury. That is where the prisons are. But they have not had any problems that I recall since the 80's.

Oh and here is the town link

http://www.snowhillnc.com/

Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 15,123 times
Smile MOCKSVILLE,NC is the place you desire

Mocksville is in Davie county. small town with a rural setting, great school district. Centrally located between Charlotte and Winston Salem. Its is a small town but has alot to offer. Check it out, you wont be disappointed.Oh and did i forget to mention Football is a big thing here....the town practially closes up on Friday nights for the games

Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 PM

42 posts, read 168,017 times
if you're used to Fayetteville, how about Dunn or Erwin or one of the small towns outside of Fayetteville. We just moved to Dunn (Originally from Goldsboro but airforce carried us all over and we're thankful to be back in NC) DH is stationed at Pope AFB in Fayetteville. We're 40 minutes from all the shopping in Fayetteville, Goldsboro and even Raleigh but it's a very small town. So far we love it.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM

956 posts, read 4,067,937 times
If you are interested in looking a little closer to the water and aren't afraid, of Storms, then you might consider some of the small towns near the Pamlico or Albamarle sounds.
Bath Pantego or Belhaven.or
Plymouth, Edenton, Hertford or Elizabeth.
I am originally from MI, and used to live in NC-not far from bethanytedder, but in a larger city than you are interested in.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:00 PM

463 posts, read 1,516,804 times
I recommend looking into Summerfield in the NW Guilford area. The town itself is small but charming and it's very close to shopping and restaurants. It's also about 15 minutes from Greensboro. There is still rural farmland left outside of Summerfield and the area has a small town feel. There was a community effort there recently to build either a park or ballfields for the kids. I've forgotten which, but members of the community volunteered their time to do it.

It's quite different from Fayetteville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywed
We relocated to Fayetteville from MI almost one year ago. We love North Carolina, but are not so hot on Fayetteville. My husband and I are both from very small towns and would like to return to a rural area. We are looking for things like proximity (20 mins or less) to stores, restaurants, malls, etc., a "small-town" feel such as a pride in Friday night high school football, everybody knows everybody, that kind of thing. We also don't want to live in a dump. We are 27 and 28 years old and are about to start a family also. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina