Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Lucky you. Another 13 weeks where you'll keep collecting your unemployment bennies because you are unable to locate a job that is not beneath you.
It's maddening, isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Lucky you. Another 13 weeks where you'll keep collecting your unemployment bennies because you are unable to locate a job that is not beneath you.
Or one where you don't have to take a whiz quiz.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,868 times
In order to go forth with a positive attitude I thought I might be able to help CharlotteCharlotte out. When your UEC (almost 2 years of benefits) runs out, you will have to apply for a new position. Here are some ways you can fill out an emloyment questionnaire to disguise your previous employment history.

Job Questionnaire:

1. Who was your last employer?
“The state of California” (translation – UEC office)

2. What was your position?
“Field Representative” (translation – I lived in another state and collected EUC)

3. How long in this position?
“91 weeks” (translation – my EUC is running out)

4. When are you available?
“One week’s notice” (translation – That’s when my EUC runs out)

5. Will you relocate?
“Yes, with certain criteria” (translation – What is the weekly maximum EUC in that location)

6. What benefits do you expect?
“Whatever is the company policy” (translation – Anything is better than what I have now)

7. Give an example of your people skills
“I involve them in my goals and ideals” (translation – I enjoy pi**ing them off)

8. What is your desired compensation?
“A livable wage” (translation – Of course, that is MY standard of living)

9. Name three references.
“Larry, Moe, and Curly” (translation – None necessary)

10. What was the title of your last position?
“Government grade UBT3/EB” (translation – Unemployment Benefit Tier 3 + Ext.)

Hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 AM

370 posts, read 753,065 times
My original comment may have not been too polite, but let me tell you why I am so frustrated with you OP.

I am a college educated, intelligent person who happened to begin looking when jobs were (are) very scarce. I pounded the pavement for about 3 months with little to no headway made. In late July I got a call from a place that I had sent my resume to months before, she called me for an interview, I was so happy! I can finally put the skills I had been working hard to train to use! I interview, she loved me...second interview....he loved me. Here comes the offer: crap. Less than I was making before I left the work field to raise my boys. Entry level, crap pay, and I have more experience and education than most of the people I work with. But you know what? I took it. Is it 'beneath' me? Maybe to a certain extent. But there are too many MBA grads waiting around for the jobs that I am qualified for. (and were at one time, 'beneath' them) I work my tail off everday and show them that they need to keep me and when something opens up within the company that matches my skill set, it is mine. Is this what I want to be doing? No. But is this giving me the chance to get some things going, make some good contacts, and make money, even if it is not a ton? Absolutely. And most importantly I get the satisfaction of knowing that I did not have too much pride to bite the bullet and accept the fact that I have to 'pay my dues'. I am not sitting around riding out what is 'owed' to me when I perfectly capable of working!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
^^^^^ You did the right thing. Honest thing. A plan for the future. You can sleep at nite and someday be proud of the plan. Don't let "other" ppl. fustrate you, get you down, or make you think they have a better way.

Let's see how this all works out and who had the better idea.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
LOL! CharlotteCharlotte's threads always cause a ruckus, don't they?

(that's all I'm saying, I don't want another infraction )

Old 09-25-2009, 04:05 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXREG View Post
Anyone familar with England? I know of an available job. You can live in US for this job.
I know someone VERY familiar with England. So, do tell?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 PM

72 posts, read 178,563 times
NELP PRESS RELEASE - 10/1/09

Admin Today at 5:42 pm

Here we go...some info from NELP!

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/PR.Senate.10.01.pdf?nocdn=1

Let's hope the FY Defense bill is over tomorrow so they can move on this!!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 111,128 times
I would just like to point out that I really feel for the people who SERIOUSLY have a hard time finding employment. I have had several years of management training (no degree), and I have my CNA certification, as well as being CPR certified. I am a traditional Native American from the Mohawk Nation, so I have a very strong work ethic. I actually felt ashamed when I had to apply for UEC benefits. But, having had the hardships I have been through, I understand the need for it for myself and many others. In spite of the fact that so many institutions claim to have a great need for male nurses, I have yet to make it past a first interview, and I have only managed to get one.

I have been without regular employment (I had a brief job for just under two months over a year ago) for over two years now. I lost my home, and I had to junk my car when the engine blew because I could not afford to fix it. All I have is my motorcycle and occassional help from friends to get back and forth. I have turned in more than three-hundred applications/resume's. This is the worst, most depressing time of my life, but I keep pushing myself to go on, hoping that one day things will be better. I hope to be a doctor in the future, but right now I am stuck. I know what it's like to be one of those people at the bottom that CAN'T get a job, and for those of you out there that fit this category, hold on. Everyone needs a little help at some point in their lives, and hopefully we will get the help we need to get back on our own feet.

P.S. If anyone has any leads in the Mooresville, NC or Denver, NC area please clue me in. I would even go to Huntersville.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
This job was posted for 24 hours only b/c they already had someone to fill it and by law had to post it. You were wasting your time trying to figure out how to apply. Next time, you will know.
Next time I will know??? I knew THIS time. However, I went ahead and applied following directions to the tee. So now if someone less qualified get the job I have grounds for a complaint with the EEOC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina