Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:31 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,974 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up for people whos unemployment is about to expire. The House will vote on Wednesday on extending unemployment benefits for an additional 13 weeks. So instead of having 79 weeks of UI benefits one could get up to 92 weeks of UI benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,725 times
Eureka!

Another post about extended UI benefits from CC.

Please post a link to your resume so that we can find you a position that matches your talents and desired compensation.

With luck, we can turn you into a productive member of society instead of a drain on our hard earned dollars.

I will work extra hard to achieve that goal.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
Eureka!

Please post a link to your resume so that we can find you a position that matches your talents and desired compensation.

With luck, we can turn you into a productive member of society instead of a drain on our hard earned dollars.

Just in case you haven't realized, we currently have over 15 million Americans out of work who are seeking employment. We have many people in Charlotte who are trying very hard to find work but cannot find anything, so this is just a little heads up for them.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 PM

370 posts, read 753,065 times
Quote:
Eureka!

I think Chicken Little has a hard time with a resume...

Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Quote:
Eureka!

If you want to turn that snarky-ness into some hardcore action, I'll take your challenge. Ha.

As someone whose spent literally the last 12 hours reviewing agency websites in Charlotte area, I'm sleepy, and if you'll kindly take over... I'll go take a nap.

I'm a social worker, side private practice but won't be living that life for at least 2-3 months, looking for an agency job with benefits and least travel possible. Salary negotiable if continuing education and licensure costs are included. Make me productive, please.

I'll bake you cookies when I get to town for your kindness. Seriously.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
Quote:
Eureka!

I'll challenge you on that as well Belmarin. I just entered # 153 on my work search spreadsheet.

Last week a job appeared online, it was with the county court system. The job was posted on 09/08/09, closing date for applications was 09/09/09. The instructions read, "APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE BY 5:00 PM ON CLOSING DATE." That was it. No phone number to call, no fax number listed, no email address, no physical address to hand deliver a resume, only the name of the individual . I spent half the day filling out a cumbersome online application and calling around to find out where to find this person. Finally found out and hand delivered the app and resume late in the day. I called back the next day to verify receipt of my application package and no one there would acknowledge that they received it, not even the woman I handed it to.

My point in this discertation is that there are jobs out there for the select few, if you're in the right circles, promote the "correct" issues, etc., but not for average working people with qualifications.

And, Belmarin, I see that you're a Realtor. I'm sure that you could use a little UEC if only you could qualify.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:38 AM

701 posts, read 1,429,059 times
Quote:
Eureka!

Are real estate agents really considered productive members of society?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Okay, guys - I feel the record isn't straight on this one.

Belmarin reacted to this post b/c in the past, CharlotteCharlotte has made posts such as this one

Can't afford to work

and stated that he/she would find it is not in his/her best interests to take a job since he/she is getting unemployment, b/c the jobs don't pay $20 an hour as his/her previous job did.

He/she has also said he/she doesn't really understand what healthcare reform is all about, but if it is free, then he/she is all in favor of taking advantage of anything that is free.

And further, he/she has posted at least three threads that have to do with the economy collapsing and how he/she has a portfolio and isn't touching his/her savings, etc.

Now that has tended to make people feel CharlotteCharlotte is just riding the gravy train.

Please understand - I have had some very nice conversations with CharlotteCharlotte, and find his/her perspective interesting. So I am not bashing CharlotteCharlotte for expressing his/her opinion about things - but neither was Belmarin. And neither was Belmarin insinuating that folks who are getting unemployment compensation are deadbeats. That is not it at all! He was reacting to CharlotteCharlotte's apparent happiness that he/she is not gonna have to take a job for a while longer, cause he/she is gonna keep getting unemployment checks.

So b/f you all jump on Belmarin - I just think you ought to know what was behind the statement to CharlotteCharlotte. CharlotteCharlotte has flat out said he/she won't take a job that isn't paying good money - while most folks looking for a job are willing to do whatever they have to do to work - especially if they are NOT on unemployment compensation.

And for the rest of you - I hope everyone finds jobs and until they do, I hope unemployment compensation will continue, as even at the best - it is only a stop gap sum of money - and these are really tough times for anyone who can't find a job.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
Ani, Maybe it's time for the attacks to stop on both sides. The bottom line is that there are good people in Charlotte out of work and it is an insult to have someone saying that you could find a job if you weren't an "unproductive member of society." If you're fortunate enough to have a job, good for you. Don't judge someone who's not working if you haven't walked in their shoes.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Ani, Maybe it's time for the attacks to stop on both sides. The bottom line is that there are good people in Charlotte out of work and it is an insult to have someone saying that you could find a job if you weren't an "unproductive member of society." If you're fortunate enough to have a job, good for you. Don't judge someone who's not working if you haven't walked in their shoes.
We are dealing with a terrible situation here in Charlotte - worse than in many parts of the country.

And our state unemployment compensation fund ran out months ago. We are using federal dollars now - borrowing - in order to honor these obligations. I should point out that CharlotteCharlotte filed in California, not NC, but I believe their whole state budget is in the red . . .so they are doubtless using federal dollars to pay unemployment compensation, as well.

I don't think anyone begrudges folks getting their rightfully due compensation checks. For many, this is the thin thread that is keeping families from going under.

My hubby and I have dealt with unemployment several times during our careers, and we know what that is like, so I hope I do not sound unsympathetic. I don't qualify to receive compensation at this point in my career, as I own my business. I wish I did! My business is down, too, and I worry about the coming months.

I hope the statements about the economy turning around are true, but I am not seeing it myself. As I stated on another thread, another of my neighbors was quietly laid off from her bank job recently. The numbers are not being reported b/c the banks are not laying off massive numbers at one time - they are spacing out the layoffs and thus do not have to report them under WARN.

I hope everyone finds jobs soon. It is disheartening to be out of work for months and as it approaches a year, I am finding that many of my neighbors and friends are having to consider jobs out of state, which means losing members of our community (and houses for sale in this very difficult housing market).

I would prefer we all are supportive of one another on this forum, but I can understand the frustration that has arisen over the lack of jobs in this region. For many, this has become (or will become) a major life-altering event, especially if folks have no choice but move. At some point, the unemployment compensation IS going to stop. I am very worried about what happens to us all, as a community, at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina