Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times

Advertisements

# 5 and 7 respectively

America's strongest building markets - MSN Real Estate

J-ville= America's strongest building markets - MSN Real Estate

F-ville= America's strongest building markets - MSN Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 05:20 PM

72 posts, read 196,656 times
Military being deployed longer to those duty stations / overseas. I would rule those areas out as any kind of National or Statewide economic indicator, OR as popular places people want to move to.

The article spells it right out.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
Another plus for Fayetteville.

Fort Bragg is largest Army post in personnel with more troops coming in the next couple of years.

We do owe our market's stability to the military. Being retired mlilitary myself I have no problem with that.

I can't speak for Jacksonville but Fayetteville is a pretty good place to live and getting better every year.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 PM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Another plus for Fayetteville.

Fort Bragg is largest Army post in personnel with more troops coming in the next couple of years.

We do owe our market's stability to the military. Being retired mlilitary myself I have no problem with that.

I can't speak for Jacksonville but Fayetteville is a pretty good place to live and getting better every year.
Fayetteville is a terrible crime infested place with way too many ran down trailer parks. It' s an area that never impoves, it just gets worse with time. This segment of an article I find describes it better than I can.

Fayettenam" and "Fatalville"--the nicknames are not flattering. As much as Fayetteville is known as a military stronghold, it's known for the bases' unfortunate byproducts: stripjoints and bar brawls, prostitution and pawnshops, surplus stores stocked with weapons and war gear. Nagging poverty, persistent crime and acres of substandard housing haven't helped. To top it all off, there's the boom and bang of combat practice and the planes screaming over at low altitudes--incessant training that reminds civilians they live in what military consultants call "noise and accident potential zones."

"The city has a bad reputation, to say the least," Lutz writes. "Many people think of Fayetteville, as I have been told again and again, as a place to get a dozen beers and a sexual disease."

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 09-21-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM

72 posts, read 196,656 times
I don't like the place very much either, but those comments are over the top stupid, and a slam it doesn't deserve.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Ms. Lutz who wrote that does not think much about our military. The book she wrote is a horrible slanted agenda driven left wing diatribe. It was also written in 2001. The city has changed quite a bit since then.

Life in War's Shadow: UNC-Chapel Hill professor Catherine Lutz's new book, Homefront, explores Fayetteville as a microcosm of U.S. militarism: Arts: Feature

Plus if you want to cherry pick quotes... How about the next paragraph.....

"But during six years of research, Lutz discovered a city with social riches that belie the ruinous reputation. "It's got more going for it than most North Carolina cities, because it has all these cosmopolitan qualities," she says. A global assortment of ethnic groups, including many who came to Fayetteville as war brides or refugees, provides an uncommonly varied set of cultures for a city in the South. "

I happen to like our gun and gear filled surplus stores.

Lots of folks love to bash Fayetteville (It's the ugly stepchild of NC) but they would hate to loose the billions the military pumps into the state each year.

Fayetteville is working hard to erase that Fayettenam image. It will take a while longer but if that is the only side of the city you choose to see then nobody will ever convince you otherwise.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Fayetteville is a terrible crime infested place with way too many ran down trailer parks. It' s an area that never impoves, it just gets worse with time. This segment of an article I find describes it better than I can.

Fayettenam" and "Fatalville"--the nicknames are not flattering. As much as Fayetteville is known as a military stronghold, it's known for the bases' unfortunate byproducts: stripjoints and bar brawls, prostitution and pawnshops, surplus stores stocked with weapons and war gear. Nagging poverty, persistent crime and acres of substandard housing haven't helped. To top it all off, there's the boom and bang of combat practice and the planes screaming over at low altitudes--incessant training that reminds civilians they live in what military consultants call "noise and accident potential zones."

"The city has a bad reputation, to say the least," Lutz writes. "Many people think of Fayetteville, as I have been told again and again, as a place to get a dozen beers and a sexual disease."
After reading this, I kinda like Fayetteville even more! Nice post. I think I might just pay Fayetteville a visit. It sounds like our state's most interesting city in the east. WOW!!! Way to go Fayetteville!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 AM

I'll challenge folks to come out to downtown Fayetteville/Festival Park this weekend for the International Folk Festival. There will be food, fun, cultural performances, and a parade of nations on Saturday. You can see for yourself of the best events of the year that celebrates all the cultures that are working to make Fayetteville a decent place to live.

Arts Council (http://www.theartscouncil.com/International_Folk_Festival.html - broken link)

I hope the weather cooperates.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Looks like most of what is being built is apartments though.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times
[quote=faabala;10860844]Ms. Lutz who wrote that does not think much about our military. The book she wrote is a horrible slanted agenda driven left wing diatribe. It was also written in 2001. The city has changed quite a bit since then.[/QUOTE}

I find that very hard to believe considering Cumberland County as a whole has shown no growth in the last 10 years. From 299,506 in 1998 to 312,696 in 2008. The only reason it showed an increase of 13,000 in 10 years is a 3 to1 birthrate/deathrate ratio. It's the only urban NC county other than Onslow County to show no migration gain(true growth).

At the same time Wake County grow by 272,000, almost the whole population of Cumberland County in 10 years. Same deal for Mecklenburg County.

Cumberland County, NC Population and Components of Change

http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/popc/pc37183.htm

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 09-22-2009 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina