Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 AM

149 posts, read 772,783 times

Advertisements

Look into Holly Springs. It is one town over from Cary. Great small town, lots of young families. Lot of house for your money. Quaintness of small town farmers market, community center, large town park area) yet has all the day to day necessities in Holly Springs or right over the town line in Cary or Apex. Holly Springs gets my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnosky View Post
My family is possibly being relocated to North Carolina (from Northern California) and we have never been there. We're looking to spend no more than $400k for a house in a nice neighborhood. Does anyone have any recommendations on towns where we should start looking? We like the coast (as long as it's not getting hit by hurricanes every year) and a small town. So far I have looked at real estate in New Bern and Jacksonville. I saw that Cary was rated number 5 (I think) for good small town living. I'm all over the place as you can see. We have a 19 month old and a 5 month old so a family friendly town is important. Know of any good websites to go to where I could start some research on the different areas? Where do I begin?!?!

Thanks for any and all input. It is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 38,432 times
Barnosky,

I would look into Moore County. It's a very nice place to live. There are small towns that are very close to every day shopping needs. It has always been known as a retired golfing community. But that's not as much the case anymore. There are alot of young families here. Moore County is located about an hour south of Raleigh and the ocean is about 2 1/2 hours away. There is a beautiful, huge lake an hour away called Jordan Lake that has many campgrounds if you enjoy camping or just going for a day on the lake. This area has plenty of doctors and two pediatricians offices with several doctors/PAs in each. The schools are pretty good with I believe just one private school called The O'Neal School. We have a great Community College called Sanhills Community College. I moved here 13 years ago from Long Island and the county has grown. Keep in mind that these counties in NC aren't huge counties like in NY or CA. Taxes are cheap and you can get a very large home for 400 thousand. If you want some property for your house to sit on then I would suggest the outskirts of town. It will be a big adjustment but don't give up. I hope some of this has been of some help to you. Google Moore County NC. The climate is nice, still seasonal but the summers are hot.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 day ago)

43,060 posts, read 76,592,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
I would recommend Cary to plenty of people but I do not think it is the right place for the original poster. In my view Cary falls somewhere between a big town and a small city. It is still growing and changing. It certainly does not feel like small-town living to me (despite the awards). Additionally, Cary is not an isolated community. It is situated in the middle of the Triangle metropolitan area. It borders the city of Raleigh and the rapidly growing towns of Apex, Morrisville and Holly Springs.

Cary is well-populated. It has been a popular relocation destination for decades. Back in 1960 there were just 3,356 residents. By 1980 there were 21,958 residents. As of April 2007 there were 121,457 residents. In twenty years from now there will likely be over 200,000 residents. Cary covers a larger land area then it once did. It has gone from 9.86 square miles in 1980 to 52.75 square miles in 2006 (too annex-happy for some). At last count there were 2,614 people per square mile in Cary (too crowded for some).

The roads are generally busy in Cary. In my experience there are rarely traffic jams outside of peak commuter times/routes or special circumstances (road works/ice storm/etc). The average home price is high in Cary by NC standards (but low compared to many places). There are many million-dollar houses that buoy the figures. However, there are also some older neighborhoods with smaller houses that are priced reasonably (under $200,000). Cary has residents from all economic levels (though weighted towards the upper-middle classes). It is not exclusively upscale as is often reported.

http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/P&Z/populationreport.pdf (broken link)
Good Job, snowpea, and have a rep point with my compliments!
I like Apex a lot for the small town feeling, yet close to all sorts of good stuff.
And there is also Wake Forest.
And on and on...

If the OP is interested in investigating the Triangle area, The Raleigh Metro forum is the best place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina