U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 AM

693 posts, read 950,969 times

Advertisements

Reasonable tax rates? You surely aren't talking about NC! At least our state income tax rates are stupidly high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

16,623 posts, read 14,376,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
My feeling is that the new economy, the global economy, is a bubble economy, and will probably bubble more with continued globalization. Companies are operating more efficiently at shuffling resources and capitol around, a Government's activities can set the table for a bubble purposefully or accidentally, and the markets move money in and out of sectors much faster then ever before while also facilitating/encouraging bubbles. Bubbles do not necessarily return markets to bottoms below where the bubble started, and money gets generated on both the up and down. There is also quite a bit of "out of the box" bubble dividends thought out there, Daniel Gross "Why bubbles are great for the economy".
I agree that the U.S. economy is inclined toward bubble creation, and that the rest of the world is interconnected with the U.S. economy. I think that's very good for certain participants in the bubble, and very bad for everyone else. This constant irrational pursuit of overcapacity is only a good thing if you think it can last forever.

What's not clear is how any of this is specific to the south, or North Carolina.

Quote:
I'm asking what's the "everlasting.." as in, what do you think is the longer term trend? Or, maybe consider calling it a cycle and challenge what's assumed to be negative about it in every case, or avoidable for that matter.

SSRN-Speculative Bubbles in the S&P 500: Was the Tech Bubble Confined to the Tech Sector? by Chris Brooks, Apostolos Katsaris

I think that reversion to the mean is the long term trend for real estate, employment, and our standard of living. IMO the big question is what particular brand of -flation we will see. I'm of the opinion that general inflation will not occur until American consumers start creating private debt again. In the past that has been mortgage debt, and I don't know what will replace that. Stocks oughta be in for a wild ride, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina