Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 48,618 times

Advertisements

I eat fish nearly every day. Is it cheaper in N.C.? I see there's a Whole Foods in Durham area but they tend to run high priced goods. Fabulous fish though. Are there any other outlets for fish in the Durham, Chapel Hill area? What is a good East Coast fish that people eat in N.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 04:37 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
Fresh local NC Seafood is the best. About the only two species that I can think of that aren't common catches here are cod and lobster.
Speckled trout, redfish, flounder, mahi-mahi, king & spanish mackerel, shrimp, blue crabs (NC is the no. 1 producer), clams, sea mullet (kigfish, virginia mullet) yellowfin & bluefin tuna, wahoo, snapper........and the list goes on.
The coast and it's local seafood is just a few hours away from the Triangle area. Please ask for fresh NC Seafood.
Be wary of farmed raised and foriegn imports. With foriegn import of seafood there is no reciprocal health & sanitation standard and less than 2% of imported seafood gets inspected.
Farmed raised never tastes as good as wild caught.
Ask for wild caught NC Seafood-The best!!
Bill

Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,906 times
Earp's Seafood / Fish Market, Raleigh
http://www.consultwebs.com/clients/r...ket_earps.html
Capital Seafood Market
676 Maywood Avenue Raleigh, NC 27603 (919) 838-1300

You could also research these:
NC Seafood Directory
http://www.ncagr.com/markets/seafood...FunctionSearch
http://www.ncagr.com/markets/seafood.../directory.asp

Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM

26 posts, read 82,458 times
I would like to find a fish (not crustacean) wholesaler from whom I could buy sufficient quantities to stock my freezer - there are few, if any sellers of fish in this area ... we truly need to eat more fish and I'd be delighted with bass, trout or any sea fish ... Does any one have any idea how we can get more fish - the prices at the supermarket are prohibitive and I truly doubt the fish is fresh ...

Thank you in advance ....

BTW I'm in NW NC and after checking the links above I am finding none near me - but for wholesale I'd be more than willing to pay for shipping

Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
henayneiCLNC,
I don't know how much seafood you are talking about-But it may be worth your time and money to drive down. Each species of fish is seasonal. Right now you could load up with all of the yellowfin tuna, bluefish, grouper, soft shell crabs and flounder you want.
For really, really fresh-Timing can be everything. There are specific days that fish will be caught and delivered. And personally-I would never buy any fish site unseen.
By the way-I had freshly caught local grouper and softshell crabs last night. The best!!! Come on down and get ya' some!!!
Bill

Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 AM

27 posts, read 89,363 times
we are moving to newton grove nc it's about 40 miles s.e. of raleigh. where is a good place to go fishing close with the family

Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM

739 posts, read 830,605 times
Gentlemen,

As a fellow fisherman, I encourage you to read my post "Protecting Eastern North Carolina Environment".

Thank you and tight lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina