U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 PM

738 posts, read 640,523 times

Advertisements

I have seen many posts on here about the quality of life in Eastern North Carolina, especially from folks considering relocating to the area. Any chance that the Washington area has for revitalization is at risk due to a proposed Outlying Landing Field (OLF) that the U.S. Navy is proposing. Currently, the Navy's Site C is in Washington County at the Beaufort County line. If Site C is abandoned, there is still some interest on the part of the Navy in a site in Craven County. Building the site there would mean destroying 1,000 acres of wetlands and posing greater risk to water quality.

Althought the area of the OLF, if built in Craven County, would drain into the Neuse River Basin and can ultimately affect the Pamlico River as both rivers join at the Pamlico Sound. Certainly the quality of life of the residents living south of the Blount's Creek area would be greatly impacted by unprecedented noise pollution day and night. Jet-fuel contamination of surface waters and increased risk to local area residents, if accidents were to occur, are also concerns.

Many of you have commented on the poor economic conditions of Eastern North Carolina, excluding the beaches. The proposed OLF would have a tremendous impact on the Inner Banks, an area that can scarcely afford to lose residents. As baby boomers retire in record numbers, the Inner Banks are becoming a popular retirement destination - low cost housing, great medical care at East Carolina, and an agreeable climate. My wife is from the area and we plan to retire there in a few years. She met an executive with NBC Sports who has recently bought a home in the area. The promise of revitalization comes with the influx of affluent retirees. That promise could be shattered if the OLF is allowed to be built in Eastern North Carolina.

To voice your opposition to the OLF, click below

http://www.efaircraft.ene.com/comments.aspx (broken link)

Please voice your opposition by May 9th!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,142 times
I just spent about 45 minutes writing a comment to the Navy on this ridiculous proposal, and then attempted to send it. However, my comments didn't get sent. Instead I got a reply that my Validation Code was incorrect, and an admonition to "please try again." Of course, when I went back to the comments form, the form was blank. I will try again later this evening, but this time I will save my comments in a text file first. Maybe the Navy really doesn't want any public input.

Best regards,
Dan

Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Dan,

Thanks for your efforts!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,768,027 times
Buckhead, I live out of state but am moving back to NC. This is the first I've heard of OLF. Thanks for making me aware. I will take a look at sending a letter to the gov. For more information on the environmental front you might check with The NC Coastal Federation (www.nccoast.org) (broken link). They are a non-profit that works to protect all of NC's Coast line. But I know that in the past they have taken a particular interest in the Pamilco Sound area.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,084 times
if it was not for the military and OLLF's there would not be much to Eastern NC!
Support the Navy and the economy of eastern NC! I have lived 39 years here in NC and Cherry point, Bogue Field, Atlantic field, and the bases in Jacksonville plus Goldsboro have not hurt any animals in my 39 years!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM

We don't disagree that the military has played a significant role in Eastern North Carolina, let alone the rest of the world, but the economic future of Eastern North Carolina can not be sustained solely by military bases. The agrarian economy is quickly going away, there have not been productive technology or distribution centers established, and a good portion of the population is employed at low wage scales. So, what could turn the economy around? A pleasant climate, access to good medical care, a convenient Mid-Atlantic location, plentiful and cheap land, access to two main waterways, and lots and lots of wealthy retirees. I currently live in the flight path of Dobbins Air Base in Atlanta. I'll admit, the occassional flyover doesn't bother us. But if the OLF proposed by the Navy had higher traffic patterns, it could make the area undesirable for retirees to relocate to. Then what would sustain the local economy?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM

507 posts, read 2,274,707 times
Here is a video of what happens when a jet has a "bird strike."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...46910622741871

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Interesting point Cowboy, especially considering the OLF would be smack in the middle of the Eastern Flyway (Ducks that is)

Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 AM

132 posts, read 503,270 times
As someone who lived on "Site C" I can tell you that it is ridiculous to believe that bird strikes would not be a huge issue for the OLF. Just by the sheer number of flights they were planning every day, there would be a problem. Farming in this area would be destroyed as farmers could only plant crops that would not be attractive to the birds (cotton). This land is the richest farmland in NC. Please oppose the OLF-this is not a good site. Better ones can be found.

Many in this area cannot understand why this site was pinpointed. Why should we have the OLF if most of the planes (and $$) will still be based in VA? Locals believe that the OLF site is just the beginning of the Navy's plans for this location. Then farming would be dead in this region.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 AM

92 posts, read 195,647 times
Didn't the Navy begin consideration of the OLF in NE NC due to the fact the the residents of the Virginia Beach area didnt want it in their backyard? Now the residents of SE VA wanted the vast military presence there for economic reasons. Now that the area is highly developed, some there are complaining about the Naval aviation in the area. Why should NC suffer because people in VA are suddenly annoyed by the bases they so desired? I was considering retiring in NE NC next year, however, no way if the OLF is based there. I gave my opinion on the web site mentioned. Had no problems with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or