Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,820 times

Advertisements

I have two young children and are planning to move to Pinehurst in the next 6 months. Can anyone tell me if any of the golf communities are geared towards families? We would like to live somewhere that has activities for the children. Also, is there a good real estate agent/agency someone can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
I went to Pinehurst this weekend and did not feel it was that family friendly. The little village area near the resort catered more for well off retirees. I did meet one mom and had a chat to her and she said that more and more families were moving in. Nearby Southern Pines seemed a lot more family friendly.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Pinehurst itself is unquestionably the "resort" (read: Rich, older) part of the Sandhills area. Southern Pines and Aberdeen are more "regular towns", and all of those places interact like one metro area. But Pinehurst proper is more retirees and tourists than anything.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM

59 posts, read 236,503 times
I agree with Francois that the three areas are combined. I live in Aberdeen. There are friendly things to do with the kids. A mommy playdate group, dance lessons, sports, riding lessons, golf, several very nice parks, historical areas. Gyms for the parents with daycare for the kids.
I'll send a pm about an agent.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 13,946 times
Default We'll be moving there soon, too...

We have two kids (13 & 8) and just signed a contract - we'll be moving in late December. We also wondered about the kid-friendliness, but were won over during a visit by the small-town-feel and the safety record. Personally, I felt that Southern Pines was the part of the "greater town" that spoke to me more, but we were unable to find a home within walking distance, so we settled for Pinehurst. If you'd like, I can PM the contact information for our agent. I thought she understood very well what we were looking for, and was extremely up to speed on all communication channels - never more than 12 hours wait time.

Recreational opportunities are all over the place, and the schools offer a lot of extra curricular activities as well. The high school even has a CSI class in conjunction with the police department. I've visited both elementary schools (Academy Heights and Pinehurst Elementary) and both have left a very good impression. Incidentially, does anyone have an opinion on which school to select? Coming from a year-round schedule, we coukd sign up at either.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM

123 posts, read 511,525 times
Welcome to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeem area Maxsofie! You've made a good choice.
Since your oldest will be on the traditional schedule (West End Middle), where my granddaughter attends, wouldn't be easier to have youngest on the same schedule?
This area has the reputation of being for old rich people. There are a lot of young families moving to the area and activities for children have more than kept up. Of course your children will say "theres nuttin to do" - that's mandatory for ALL kids -I even remember saying it myself once or twice in my younger days.
Again, welcome to the neighborhood!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM

Default different schedules

HavingFun,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Actually having the kids on different schedules seems to be more an advantage than a disadvantage. Like true sisters, having them both home at the same time is so drama-intensive that I'mm not sure I need to have more of that situation than necessary. Plus, our families love to spend time with the kids (the only grandkids at this time and no more in sight) but live quite far away, so short weekend trips are not ferasible. Plus, because of the 5 year age difference they prefer to host the kids seperately. Thus, we could cover a lot of the "overlap" of one-in-school-one-on-break by sending them off to grandparents, aunts, etc.

I'm simply wondering which school will be more welcoming for a student who has spent the last two years in a German host nation school. My little one is perfectly bilingual orally, but certainly has a bit of catching up to do when it comes to English spelling.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Maxsofie,
I can relate to the "drama intensive" - my sisters were the same way.
Can't comment from experience with the 2 elementary schools, only by observation. Grandaughter (13) went to PH elementary - has trouble reading and writing. 12 year old boy, across the street, got more attention with problems at the year-round school. Smaller classes and a more structured environment (according to his mother). You'll only have the year-round option until he starts middle school. Don't think it is currently offered here, beyond elementary school.
Best of luck with your choices, and again, Welcome neighbor!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 AM

Having Fun -

Thanks for your continued input - Sofia's Mom, please excuse this developing sideline in your thread - So far I've only spent a week in the Pinehurst area during a visit, and it continus to amaze me how open and freindly people are. We're a military family and currently stationed in Germany and I guess I got very used to the gruff Germanic personalities over here...

I am always hesitant to only blame a school/teacher for a child's non-performance. Might be professional bias (I teach secondary math), but I have seen too many instances where a supposedly unteachable kid does fine with me or where I'm not able to reach a student - all within the same school. Teachers and students need to "jive" for all to go well, and in a class with twenty kids, you can bet that there are going tro be a few "incompatibles." Plus, parental involvement also goes a long way in supporting and hindering a child's academic development, whether it is intentional or not.

I am leaning towards the year round schol, especially because it is much smaller, but there is no bus service and no before-school-care, so I might not be able to go back to work after the move. Do you have any idea how other working parents at Academy Height deal with this issue?

Thanks for your ongoing help!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 AM

The boy across the street (Tyler) was in a car pool. I'm sure the local PTA could give you more info on carpooling and before and after school care. From what I understand, the "mothers network" works well with all aspects of the year round school. Lots (read most) mothers work. After school "play dates are the norm. Of course homework comes first, I'm sure. Of course YOU'LL have to adjust your schedule to participate. I'm sure its a small sacrifice for a larger return. My advice would be to
contact Academy Heights for the info on PTA and travel arrangements. If the ER nurse across the street could do it on her schedule, I'm sure you'll be able to work something out.
Good luck! And if I can be of any help, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina