U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-08-2006, 09:58 AM

694 posts, read 1,760,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
My house is 2400 sq ft. i guess I just prefer defined rooms, I cant stand living dining combos, i prefer a formal eating and living and not have my kitchen exposed to the rest of the house. Although the older ones I have seen all have good flow from room to room. I feel the older homes have more character and the new ones all look the same.
What happens is that peoples lifestyles changed a lot from 20+ years ago. These days a good number of families use the formal dining room once or twice a year. It's kind of a waste of space. I personally would easily give up my formal dining room for more space on the living room or kitchen. One day i might convert the dining room into something else, maybe a bar/pub or something so I can actually use that space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-08-2006, 10:25 AM

10,010 posts, read 11,041,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
What happens is that peoples lifestyles changed a lot from 20+ years ago. These days a good number of families use the formal dining room once or twice a year. It's kind of a waste of space. I personally would easily give up my formal dining room for more space on the living room or kitchen. One day i might convert the dining room into something else, maybe a bar/pub or something so I can actually use that space.
I use it all the time when entertaining, i have an eating kitchen for other days, what i dont like is the houses with two small rooms, 1 living, dining combo usually carpet( yuk) then a small family room, I would rather have 1 large room.

being in construction I guess helped open my eyes to everything, same floorplans different arrangments, gets tired. Especially when you are in a develpoment of 300 houses and every 4th one is your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina