U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:49 AM

13 posts, read 52,761 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any insight on corporal punishment being allowed in the schools in NC? I have recently heard that this is a practice that is allowed and it does concern me. I am hoping that this is just one of those laws that just never got changed but that it is not regular practice in this day and age. Does anyone have any info on this for me? thank you

Old 02-22-2006, 10:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,678,782 times
It is my understanding that each county or school district Board of Education sets the policy for the public schools within their jurisdiction. Members of the board are elected by the voters. Some counties permit corporal punishment with written parental permission while others ban it entirely. NC has 100 counties, but most do not permit corporal punishment.

Corporal punishment is the use of a hand, paddle, strap or other instrument to inflict physical pain on a child. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 115C-390 states that: "Except as restricted or prohibited by rules adopted by the local boards of education, prin****ls, teachers, substitute teachers, voluntary teachers, and teacher assistants and student teachers in the public schools of this State may use reasonable force in the exercise of lawful authority to restrain or correct pupils and maintain order." The law sets forth four additional conditions that must be met when school officials administer corporal punishment.

First, corporal punishment cannot be carried out in a classroom in the presence of other students.

Second, the student must be informed in advance of what types of conduct could result in the infliction of corporal punishment.

Third, only a school official, in the presence of another school official who has been informed in the student's presence of the reason for the punishment, may inflict the punishment.

Fourth, a school official must notify the student's parents that the corporal punishment has been administered.

The statute also sets forth the five situations in which a school official may use corporal punishment: "(1) To quell a disturbance threatening injury to others; (2) To obtain possession of weapons or other dangerous objects on the person, or within the control, of a student; (3) For self-defense; (4) For the protection of persons or property; or (5) To maintain order on school property, in the classroom, or at a school-related activity on or off school property."

Last edited by mm34b; 02-22-2006 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 AM

285 posts, read 1,006,181 times
Default Corporal Punishment in NC Schools

I feel qualified to answer questions about corporal punishment in North Carolina schools. My name is Peggy Dean, and I am on the Board of Directors for a national organization called Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education. I live in Union County, NC, and am the mother to four children.
Corporal punishment is alive and well here in North Carolina. I got a ban of sorts in my county, but it took 8 months of going to the board of ed meetings. Union County has the shameful distinction of hitting the most disabled students as compared to all other counties in the state. Our county also refused to obey state law and make public a list of possible misconducts that a child could committ and get hit. Parental consent is not mandated, and there is not an opt out option. Very scarey, and very backward. What you need to understand is the culture that embraces corporal punishment will also allow lots of other teacher misconducts to go uncorrected, eg a teacher taped mouths shut for talking, forced exercise for punishment, denial of bathroom use, very punitive.
The office of civil rights tracks data, and you can find the exact number of children hit in each district. North Carolina is one of 21 states that still has this on the books, and about 70% of the counties in the state still use it.
Because the larger counties have banned it, more than 50% of the students in the state of NC are in school districts that do not hit. That is a piece of good news! There is an active campaign in the state to get a change in law.
It's use is not rare. Injuries and bruises occur as well, and when they do, there is no one to turn to for help. I am helping a child that was paddled and bruised in September, when a teacher hit him five times, with a paddle with holes drilled in it. His buttocks were covered in bruises, and he ended up at the ER. The teacher is still teaching, and the school board says he followed policy. I can provide much more data, and am willing to email or direct anyone to factual data. I don't think I am supposed to add links here, so perhaps the best way to share data would be to ask me to email you if you need more.
Thanks,
Peggy

Old 03-18-2006, 02:24 AM

8,794 posts, read 3,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
I don't think I am supposed to add links here, so perhaps the best way to share data would be to ask me to email you if you need more.
Thanks,
Peggy
Links are not permitted in the forum if they lead to someone's business. Non-commercial links (though the HTML feature is disabled) can be posted as simple text.
Regards,
markablue, forum moderator

Old 03-18-2006, 03:26 AM

Default Campaign to End Corporal Punishment in NC Schools

Thanks for the clarification from the moderator. I think if people gain knowledge of what is going in our schools, we can effect change. I am happy to share what I wish I had known.
I would have never moved to an area that promotes this abusive way of dealing with kids, but the good news is, I have been able to help.
Here is a state wide campaign that has been launched. I am getting support from medical and educational and social organizations, as well as many child advocates. Go to www.nospank.net/bancp-nc.htm (broken link) and see for yourself the effort to ban corporal punishment in NC schools. There are links here to actual photos of injured children. Do not look at these with children present, or if they will traumatize you. Silence protects the teachers, it is time for others to hear the dirty secret and see what is going on in the name of discipline. The reality is that in the cases of bruises and injuries, the teachers are protected by the system that allows this. These same teachers are mandated by law to report child abuse to authorities, that means if your child or mine comes to school with any suspicious marks, the authorities should be called. Yet if a teacher inflicts bruises after purposely hitting a child with a wooden plank, the law protects that adult. It is crazy, but hopefully we can get a change. Again, if anyone has an interest in becoming a part of the solution, you can contact me. I am easy to find, email is on my profile, my PO address is on the petition.
Have a great weekend, and hug your kids.
Peggy

Old 03-22-2006, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,184 times
Smile Great forum

I greatly appreciate the information that you have provided on this thread alone. I have been considering a move to North Carolina and did not realize that corporal punishment was still active. Thank you for the information as it will allow me to refine my search for better school districts that do not encourage such barbaric behavior.

Best Regards

Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,111,020 times
There is no corporal punishment in Wake County. The Raleigh area. I worked in the school system, and we can't even put a hand on them.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 AM

Smile Kudos to Wake County

That is great that there is no corporal punishment in Wake County. Many of the larger cities in the state have had bans for a long time. Charlotte Mecklenburg did away with it 20 years or more ago.
Discipline can be maintained without the use of corporal punishment. It just takes a bit of effort on the part of the school system.
Because this is banned in the larger areas such as Charlotte, Raleigh, etc, over 50% of North Carolina students are enrolled in schools with bans, but the flip side is that about 70% of the districts still have it on the books.
The ones who use is are backward in many approaches, to me it is a symptom of a negative school culture, and one to be wary of. We have learned the hard way.
On a positive note, I got a call from the State Superintendent's office yesterday, and she addressed the Education Oversite Committee in the State Legislature, about the need to look into this law. This after I sent photos of a child paddled and bruised by a teacher in Robeson County, NC. The teacher is still in the classroom, after picking up a wooden plank with holes drilled in it and hitting a child 5 times, covering him in bruises. If you want to see the types of damage that paddling districts are inflicting on our children in 2006, go to www.nospank.net/bancp-nc.htm (broken link)
If you are OK with this outcome, then you will fit right in in some of North Carolina's rural districts. Keep in mind that this punishment is not reserved for the worst of offenses, in many districts it is the first line of punishment.
Thanks for you interest in this topic, I am very passionate about this, and am happy to talk or email anyone with more data.
Best,
Peggy Dean

Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,111,020 times
I would love to also help in any way t oget that outlawed in the state of NC. You are so right, it is barbaric and shoud be done away with. This is a wonderful state and they should not allow that anywhere. Thanks for the info peggy.

Debbie

Old 03-27-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Corporal Punishment

I have received several emails from people considering a move to NC who are changing their minds because of the corporal punishment issue.
Corporal punishment is the dirty secret of the southern states. There are lots of great things in NC, but hitting kids with wooden planks is not one of them.
Please do not totally dismiss North Carolina because of this one issue. I am just happy to share this factual data. I would have chosen a different District had I known what we would experience. Not all districts embrace this.
In Union County, I have knowledge of teachers taping mouths shut for talking, having students hold furniture overhead and stand in a corner for talking, a teacher who sticks her hand down children's pants to enforce a tuck in policy, forced exercise for punishment, denial of bathroom use, teachers who kick, shove, shake, pinch noses and mouths shut,and throw objects at students, all in the name of "discipline". In a culture that embraces teachers picking up a plank and beating children, these other misconducts are small potatoes. Even though we have a ban of sorts here in our county, the mindset is really what needs to be challenged.
In fairness to the district and the state, many great teachers are here. Yet, it is a fact that abusive teachers will seek employment in a state that allows corporal punishment, for they can abuse kids at many levels, and no one stops them.
Thank you.
Peggy Dean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina