U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,181,381 times
Default transferring car to another state (license plate question)

So, I know that in NC we need to turn in the license plate when we transfer ownership of the car. I'm transferring my vehicle to a family member and will need to ship the car to them. Do I take the license plate off the car here?

Does the car need a valid license plate to be shipped (does the shipping company even care about that?)

What happens when you sell a car to an out of state buyer? Is the situation different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM

305 posts, read 990,850 times
Default When we moved here from PA ...

We did not turn in our plates from PA to the NC DMV.

We had to mail them back to PA. The NC DMV did not want to have anything to do with them.

This was in July of this year ... just so you know it's relevant to their most recent policy.

This link should answer all your questions (plus you can download all the forms you will need):

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: How do I title & register a vehicle?

As far as the shipping company ... each have a policy that is their own. Check with them first. When we shipped our van from CA to PA 9 years ago, the only thing they were interested in was the VIN number and our money. We used Dependable Auto ... located here.

We also used them this year to ship our other car to a relative from PA to FL.

Both times they were the least expensive and did a really great job getting the van and car to the right place on the date needed.

I had 23 quotes from various auto shipping companies across the US. Be careful when you do this and that you don't get quotes from "brokers." They don't actually ship the car, they hire an auto shipper to do it for them and they will cost you more.

My sister in FL bought the car while we were living in PA while on our way to NC. No surprises in the shipment. We did ship with the PA plates on it though so I don't think I can help you there with that issue.

Hope I've helped some.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:31 AM

2,408 posts, read 7,181,381 times
I can't seem to figure out how to get the vehicle where its going without any license plates.

I wonder how things work with private sales from state to state (such as ebay).

Old 10-22-2009, 08:50 PM

7,499 posts, read 9,775,187 times
Don't you take the car with the plate to the buyer? Or is buyercoming here? You keep plate if you are going to get a new car...Is buyer a relative? Let them return plates to you via USPS?

Usually when I bought a car on ebay, I trailered it home.
Or buyer might get a temp plate from home state?

In Wisconsin they just put a "LAUGH" plate in rear window.

On a piece of paper or cardboard they write in capital letters LAF (License Applied For) and drive for weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina