Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:09 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times

Advertisements

[quote=saralee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
keep in mind that you won't be able to get a mortgage without a local job or a telecommuting agreement (they'll verify it).

I've been told the opposite. For instance, when working with Citi, they were willing to approve me for a mortgage, based on my current employment status, even though I was clear about now having employment lined up in NC.

Not possible?
It is..... More and more people are doing. I am sure it is case by case (IE; down payment, FICO score, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 08:47 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Not true. A lender even verified on another thread. Stated income is an option. We did it for our house here. No big deal
Lenders will let you borrow more than what you can afford. As long as they can foreclosure your property and get their money back.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Lenders will let you borrow more than what you can afford. As long as they can foreclosure your property and get their money back.
Business is business. The buyer doesn't care as long as he/she are in and they get a job. No big deal really.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 PM

I think if thousands move here without a job thinking "it's not a big deal" it will be a HUGE deal...

Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I think if thousands move here without a job thinking "it's not a big deal" it will be a HUGE deal...
Really? What if they come with savings account. That comment would assume home owners weren't to bright. I would have to give them some credit. Anyone with a JR high education (Most home owners I am sure have a High School diploma) SHOULD know that you have "x" amount in the savings which will get you "x" amount of time to get a job. Unless I am missing something? While I have never filed BK nor had to be foreclosed on, I would assume it is no fun and everyone would want to avoid this. Speaking of banks, I am sure the bank just doesn't say, "we can foreclose, he has $60k in equity, loan him the money. They want a little more than that (IE; Good credit, previous employment was long term, etc.). I know there is a loan officer here, maybe he can chim in?

Anyone moving without a job want to comment on this? Are you going without money along with no job? Do you have money that can float you "x" amount of time?

I know some of the locals may say people are coming by the dozens, but to picture lines of cars on the freeway to get there I doubt nor thousands in a short time. I have read the stats, it is growing, but in small amounts compared to other big cities most of us are used too. So, yes, I don't see it as a big deal.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 07-20-2006 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Really? What if they come with savings account. That comment would assume home owners weren't to bright. I would have to give them some credit. Anyone with a JR high education (Most home owners I am sure have a High School diploma) SHOULD know that you have "x" amount in the savings which will get you "x" amount of time to get a job. Unless I am missing something? While I have never filed BK nor had to be foreclosed on, I would assume it is no fun and everyone would want to avoid this. Speaking of banks, I am sure the bank just doesn't say, "we can foreclose, he has $60k in equity, loan him the money. They want a little more than that (IE; Good credit, previous employment was long term, etc.). I know there is a loan officer here, maybe he can chim in?

Anyone moving without a job want to comment on this? Are you going without money along with no job? Do you have money that can float you "x" amount of time?

I know some of the locals may say people are coming by the dozens, but to picture lines of cars on the freeway to get there I doubt nor thousands in a short time. I have read the stats, it is growing, but in small amounts compared to other big cities most of us are used too. So, yes, I don't see it as a big deal.
Yes, some of us came into it with "x" amount to get by w/out a job.
I know it's not for everyone one, but it can work. Do i like spending the money with out it comming in- NO. But it's the choice we made going into to it. We had enough put aside for just that for at least 6 months worth.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Obiously my comments were not related to someone with a $500K trust fund looking for a $200K mortgage. But everyone knows that lenders can pre-qualify you for an amount much higher than what you can comfortably afford. I have been pre-qualified for something that I would never commit to unless I wanted to live on an extremely tight budget.

As far as the "3 amigos" Good Credit, employment, savings. That's true, lenders look at the combination of them, not one or two alone. However... the fact is that those 3 things walk hand-in-hand. You can't really have good FICO if you had lack of employment in the past, for example. Or you can't put money on savings if you're employed on a low salary.

Bottom line is - don't let banks or lenders tell you if you can get the loan or not. Create your own budget and see if you're comfortable commiting to moving without a job or with a much lower pay job. At the end you might not agree with what they tell you.

Last edited by Grass Is Greener; 07-21-2006 at 06:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM

164 posts, read 353,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
Yes, some of us came into it with "x" amount to get by w/out a job.
I know it's not for everyone one, but it can work. Do i like spending the money with out it comming in- NO. But it's the choice we made going into to it. We had enough put aside for just that for at least 6 months worth.
We feel the same - moving w/o jobs but we have money saved. Should be able to buy outright or with small mortgage. Still very nervous because it's not a great position to be in! I think it can be done though. Some of my concern comes from making sure we are adequately insured ... we'll use COBRA or buy short term health insurance, but still makes me nervous. Thoughts about that from anyone???

But Grass is Greener has a good point - lenders telling consumers they can afford more than really possible. Lots of people are probably in trouble, and it's a mindset that needs to be adjusted for a lot of people. So when people talk about moving somewhere w/o jobs and qualifying for a house, it does sound like more of the same risky business. Can we live with you until we find a job???

Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:

We have a friend who's wife stayed home to take care of their 4 kids so they were only on 1 salary and their mortgage and other added expenses were just too much to handle. So they sold their house and moved to Holly Springs without a job lined up, but they knew they had about 8 months to live on before they had to be concerned. I think it all comes down to whether and how much someone is willing to dip into the savings before a job oppty comes along. That's really a matter of personal preference.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
No money, no job, no skills, and I had to borrow the money for the bus ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina