Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,780,222 times

Advertisements

Wow, thank you all for the responses...I looked up the law for tint for NC. The whole car can be ONLY 35% all around. Nothing darker....

Well my Ford Explorer with factory tint will be ok
My Crown Vic, that has 5% in rear and 20% in the fronts will have to be taken off prior, unless I sell the car before hand.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
Window tint shall fail N.C. safety inspection if:

(a) Any window on the vehicle with after-factory tint has a light
transmittance of less than thirty-two percent (32%).

(b) The tint on any window is red, yellow or amber.

(c) The tint on the windshield extends more than five (5) inches below
the top of the windshield or is below the AS1 line of the windshield,
whichever is longer.

(d) All material used to tint a window(s)shall be non reflective and shall
not be red, yellow or amber. After market tinting above the AS1 line
must comply with G.S. 20-127(a)

N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles - http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...nforcement.pdf

Old 05-16-2007, 10:22 AM

187 posts, read 647,683 times
I just moved to charlotte from NY. I had a firebird with blue gradient tint at like 15% I think...I received probably 4 or 5 tickets just for tint in NY. That was my old car, I now have a basic looking car..a new malibu. I'm interested in getting all 5 windows tinted but is that legal? In NY you could not have the two front two tinted AT ALL. But even in NY with my old illegal tint i never had a issue with inspections even from dealships...

gilbertrule ...hook me up with a phone number etc on where I can get my car tinted??

I called some places and it seems like $150-$170 is the price to pay for 35% for my car (2006 malibu). Since I live in NC not SC...once place said they would have to put on like 40% because the way 35% registeres...it registers illegal or something??

Last edited by burnhagw; 05-16-2007 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 AM

187 posts, read 647,683 times
Yeah if i could get my car tinted legally at 99 bucks that would be awesome

Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 15,120 times
Default Tint

I think it is ridiculous about these window tinting laws 35% is hardly anything... The only reason i wanted it was to keep the sun out... So i got 20% and need to get the car inspected in Nov... Who knows i may sell it by then

Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 AM

525 posts, read 1,797,144 times
It isn't that they want you to not tint but with a dark tint how does a cop know what or who is in the car? Walking up on a car with windows you can see could be dangerous..plus at night it is harder to see with dark tint. Ours are legal and they are plenty dark enough.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
It really done over safety at night so that the driver can be aware if a child darts out during the night or a deer.

Cops can still ticket you for dark tint as mentioned earlier

Old 06-23-2007, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 30,302 times
Default Since when does the DMV do house calls?!?!

Well I think that it is ridiculous that trucks and vans are exceptions to the tint rules when you think about what kind of vehicle would you use to haul stuff in (weapons, immigrants, etc...)! Plus we had our car tint tested at three different places and got three different results, one of which was 32% and passed. Now the DMV is coming to the house to remove our registration sticker, saying that they "saw" the vehicle and the tint is illegal. The inconsistencies in the laws (and the readings) are baffling!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,780,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapdoggis View Post
Well I think that it is ridiculous that trucks and vans are exceptions to the tint rules when you think about what kind of vehicle would you use to haul stuff in (weapons, immigrants, etc...)! Plus we had our car tint tested at three different places and got three different results, one of which was 32% and passed. Now the DMV is coming to the house to remove our registration sticker, saying that they "saw" the vehicle and the tint is illegal. The inconsistencies in the laws (and the readings) are baffling!
Could DMV actually do that? Come to the House?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 14,942 times
Default Window Tint

I don't see the problem with 20% tint. I can understand if it was limo tint or mirror tint. 20% really isn't too dark. You still can see through it. And, if the police wanted to approach a car and see all they have to do is turn on their flash light!!

I don't think it should be leagal for the factory to put dark tint on the back windows of vans and SUV's but cars can't get it aftermarket on the back windows. That is a rediculous double standard and we need to fight to have that changed.

I recently had to have my front windows scrapped from 20 % and had to get 35% put on because the tiny town I live in the police have nothing better to do than pick on people for their tint. The bigger city I work in said they don't even have meters to check the tint. The Sherriff's office laughed at me. The difference in the temp in my car as well as the sun beating down on me is crazy since I have have changed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina