Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 04:55 PM

79 posts, read 295,607 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

I am hoping someone can help me.. I am going to be moving from Florida to Pennsylvania soon and we are looking to stop halfway, which would put us in North Carolina around Raleigh.. I am looking for a safe place to stay since we are going to have two cars full of stuff and a truck. I don't want to worry about break-ins or anything.. Can anyone recommend a hotel or a town I might want to be where I wouldn't have to worry.. as long as it isn't too far from I-95.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 PM

299 posts, read 634,997 times
I've made that trip more times than I can count, halfway puts you in Rocky Mount, NC. It is a fairly large exit which is what you want. I'd look for a Hampton Inn, or similar, that has security. I'd call in advance and ask about security and what is available. I'd also make sure that you have as little as you can in the car visible to the outside. We were going to Florida and had stuff stored in our boat. Someone cut the cover, climbed in and cleaned us out that night. Needless to say, we never made that mistake again of staying somewhere without security. We had everything well covered but it obviously attracted attention. Check Rocky Mount Hotels through Expedia or a similar website for a complete listing. I'm so careful when I travel due to this experience and things you hear about in the media. Never stay at a hotel with doors that open directly to the exterior of the building or if you're female and traveling alone, register with your first initial only. I traveled a lot on business and became more experienced than I ever wished. Good luck with the move!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:13 PM

79 posts, read 295,607 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, that is what I am afraid of! Thanks for your help and advice, I appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
you should post this in the general NC forum. 95 is not as close to Raleigh az you may think, and you're likely to get more/better responses.

Haven't personally satyed there, but there are a bunch of newer, nice, name brand hotles in smithfield NC right of I-95 right next to the shopping outlets. they may have parking lot security.

If by chance you have someone military traveling with you, i'd stay on-base at fort bragg (which I've done before with a car full of stuff). Another option, depending on what time you are coming through NC, is pay the $30-50 or whatever is to put your vehicles in overnight.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,123 times
We stop at two places along I-95 in NC when heading to Myrtle Beach from NY. One is the Log Cabin motel and restaurant in Smithfield-nice clean and good food. Stay as FAR AWAY from the Howard Johnsons there! We used to use it for all our family reunions there in Smithfield-but now it's a welfare dump and horrible! If you go a bit further south-there's a Days Inn in Benson. It also has a mexican restaurant there-they grow their own produce to make the salsa! Awesome stuff. We've been driving that route now for 24 years-stopped a lot of places-those are our picks.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
I have stayed at Microtel numerous time and the rooms always clean and free wi fi I look for the chain along 95 and Wilson is a good rate and place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina