Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering to move to NC for a while. Right now I am researching about some cities, but I would appreciate if you can give us some advice!

Currently, we live in south-west Florida. I am from Japan and my husband is from New Hampshire. we lived many places before ,but I am looking for somewhere we can call "our home" finally. I grew up in tokyo where we have four seasons and I miss it... I know for some poeple the weather(seasons)is not the reason to move,but for me it isn't only the reason.

We are looking for a city which is safe,family friendly,a lot of activities(I like outdoors, like walking,bicycling,going to park.),hopefully a bit mixed-culture so I could find international stores(Asian store, russian,german etc.)and restaurants. We would like to live the place has low crime and not so expensive.

By the time we move, my husband will be in accounting buisiness and we are concerned about job opputunities also.

If you have any advice, it will be very helpful! Thank you for reading my posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 PM

174 posts, read 402,116 times
My guess is that both Charlotte and Raleigh would meet your needs. I would also consider Greenville, SC. All three cities have a good amount of outdoor activity opportunities and are great family oriented cities. I would consider all three cities, then move to the one that offers you the best job. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM

16 posts, read 28,329 times
From what I have heard about Greenville SC, this would be your best bet.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Thank you for NCbyChoice and Southmeadow.

I was thinking to check out Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro and some other cities. I will definitely check Greenville also! It sounds like a good place.

by the way, is it true that some time poeple dislike Northener? I don't want be rude but I hear it sometime.

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 AM

174 posts, read 402,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocok9 View Post

by the way, is it true that some time poeple dislike Northener? I don't want be rude but I hear it sometime.

Thanks again!
It's not that they dislike northerners, it's more like they dislike the attitude that sometimes is associated with them. If you come here to make a great life for yourself and embrace your new city, sometimes new culture, then you will see very little hatred, if any at all.

But sometimes northerners come down here with a "well in the north we did this" or "the South is so backwards" or "back home is better because" attitude and it will rub some people the wrong way. Nobody wants someone coming into their home and pointing out the flaws.

The northerners that are discriminated against, usually fall within that category. But, they are in the minority, not the majority. I'd say most people embrace their new home and have zero problems with locals.

By the way, I am one of those northerners that chose to come here. I adapted to my new home and accepted and embraced the differences. I have never had any problems with any Southerners. Truthfully, most of my closest friends are native born Carolinians. It's home sweet home for me.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Above you said was very true. If they brag about what they did and had in north,why do they move?

We've been in Florida for almost seven years and we never really had any problem either(except once for no reasons...)

I can't wait to check out our future community! If there are more suggestion, it wil be great.

Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 AM

305 posts, read 1,801,192 times
I was also worried about being accepted as an "outsider" when we bought a home and moved here just this past May.

Everyone has been very friendly and have also taken the time to set us in the right direction when we felt lost.

We thought we might be isolated/ignored because we are both handicapped. However, everyone has been so helpful. I've learned where the best places to shop are, how to kill spiders quickly, which snakes to avoid, shortcuts driving to certain places (Starbucks, groceries, good restaurants, for example).

We live in a very, very small community of only 13 homes (so far). We are way off the beaten path and yet we have some folks in the area who use the cul-de-sac we live on as a walking path. They usually stop for a moment to say good day, ask about how we're doing, how's the cat, etc.

I'm very happy here.

We decided to retire in NC because this is where the grandkids are, the property taxes are ridiculously low, the weather. We're glad we retired here because of the people.

We chose the city that we live in because of it's proximity to getting to either the mountains and the ocean. Since we retired here, work is not an issue. So we live in the Triad area, nearest to Mooresville area.

It's a perfect fit for us.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,480,135 times
I think you've been given some very good advice. And it seems that you have the perspective that will allow you and your husband to be welcomed wherever you go. There are many communities in NC that would be perfectly suitable for you. As you'll read in many threads... get the job first!

I am a native North Carolinian who was uprooted to Greenville, SC last year, but still loves her home state. However, IF you were to consider anywhere besides NC, Greenville SC is a great city. A lot of international businesses have established sites in the Greenville area over the past 20 years. The downtown area is second to none. Greenville has been named a bike-friendly community for several years in a row by... (I forget). You can always check the Greenville forum on C-D. Sorry if I've helped highjack the thread, but NCbyChoice said it first.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the comments! It is great to hear from poeple who live there or from there.

We will definitely make a trip to NC and see your town! So far we only know the population and general info,but I think NC has a lot to offer(mountains, ocean,climate etc.).

Thank you !

Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,903,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocok9 View Post
Hi,

I am considering to move to NC for a while. Right now I am researching about some cities, but I would appreciate if you can give us some advice!

Currently, we live in south-west Florida. I am from Japan and my husband is from New Hampshire. we lived many places before ,but I am looking for somewhere we can call "our home" finally. I grew up in tokyo where we have four seasons and I miss it... I know for some poeple the weather(seasons)is not the reason to move,but for me it isn't only the reason.

We are looking for a city which is safe,family friendly,a lot of activities(I like outdoors, like walking,bicycling,going to park.),hopefully a bit mixed-culture so I could find international stores(Asian store, russian,german etc.)and restaurants. We would like to live the place has low crime and not so expensive.
The Triangle sounds like a good fit for you (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Although "expensive" is always relative.

Quote:
By the time we move, my husband will be in accounting buisiness and we are concerned about job opputunities also.
It's tough all over, but the Triangle, by comparison, will offer more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina