Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM

311 posts, read 618,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass
Looking for a place outside of Wake county (because of school overcrowding)to buy a home ,but has to be close to RTP for comuter reasons. In the 300-500k range.
Plenty of houses in Johnston County...but schools are overcrowded as soon as they are built. Right now, the Clayton Planning Board is meeting on July 24 to discuss plans to subdivide 129 acres into 258 lots (annexation has been requested) and a request for a master plan for a 651 acre tract with 2,272 dwelling units. Needless to say, there are more developments in the making, more crowded schools and also, needless to say, the "illegal immigration" is growing by leaps and bounds. I think you can understand the overcrowded situation here....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 06:15 AM

180 posts, read 733,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
Plenty of houses in Johnston County...but schools are overcrowded as soon as they are built. Right now, the Clayton Planning Board is meeting on July 24 to discuss plans to subdivide 129 acres into 258 lots (annexation has been requested) and a request for a master plan for a 651 acre tract with 2,272 dwelling units. Needless to say, there are more developments in the making, more crowded schools and also, needless to say, the "illegal immigration" is growing by leaps and bounds. I think you can understand the overcrowded situation here....!
Right I understand, My wife and I are trying to make a decision to move with her company. The company has not looked into the family quality of life isssues, like school overcrowding. They are just looking at a cheaper place to do business. They will be getting a HUGE tax incentive to move. Yes they have a relocation package, but we will not be able to have the same kind of house in NC that we have here. The "market correction" that has happened here really affects what we can get there. To purchase a house there with the same( almost) emmenities we will need another 100K, since ours is only worth 400k at most now. Right Now we have 2100 sq.ft .93 acre lot, Pool, Jacuzzi, greenhouse, garden, new gourmet kitchen in 05, new siding,roof and finished basement.

check it out here:
http://scottantonio.homestead.com/page1.html

Old 07-22-2006, 06:31 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Right I understand, My wife and I are trying to make a decision to move with her company. The company has not looked into the family quality of life isssues, like school overcrowding. They are just looking at a cheaper place to do business. They will be getting a HUGE tax incentive to move. Yes they have a relocation package, but we will not be able to have the same kind of house in NC that we have here. The "market correction" that has happened here really affects what we can get there. To purchase a house there with the same( almost) emmenities we will need another 100K, since ours is only worth 400k at most now. Right Now we have 2100 sq.ft .93 acre lot, Pool, Jacuzzi, greenhouse, garden, new gourmet kitchen in 05, new siding,roof and finished basement.

check it out here:
http://scottantonio.homestead.com/page1.html

Nice plasma

Scott are you saying you're unable to find something in NC for 400k comparable to what you have now? Where are you looking? I see them all over CHarlotte...

Old 07-22-2006, 06:38 AM

180 posts, read 733,690 times
Mike, My wifes company is relocating to RTP in the next yr to 3 yrs in phases.
So it would have to be around Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest. She is the primary bread winner making 6 figures and I am a stay at home dad.She doesn't want more than 1/2 hr commute,because now she has 45 on a good day and sometimes 2 hrs on a freaky friday. Looking at realtor.com, I see houses for 400k but not what we have here in Mass.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:21 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Mike, My wifes company is relocating to RTP in the next yr to 3 yrs in phases.
So it would have to be around Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest. She is the primary bread winner making 6 figures and I am a stay at home dad.She doesn't want more than 1/2 hr commute,because now she has 45 on a good day and sometimes 2 hrs on a freaky friday. Looking at realtor.com, I see houses for 400k but not what we have here in Mass.
oh okay, bummer. I noticed Raleigh home prices are generally higher than Charlottes.

An off chance though, may be you can look at Centex Homes in Raliegh? That's my builder here in Waxhaw,NC and I'm happy with them (although I've never been to Raliegh). I took a quick peek and they have some homes in the 2200 sqft range .5 acre for around $250K. Possibly you can get a ton of upgrades for $100K to may be get close to what you have.

Just a thought. Here's the link:

removed

Last edited by Yac; 07-23-2006 at 02:46 AM..

Old 07-22-2006, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 41,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Indeed, the rampant migration south is getting out of hand.... it's going to have some serious side effects down the road.
IMHO the migration is a good thing and is not getting out of control. In fact, I think it brings more opportunities and brings NC up to speed. I migrated from the North (New Jersey near the Newark area) because I wanted a change and the crime was out of control. I think most people who migrate South are looking for better living and to get away from the high cost of living up North. This being the fact it makes it better for NC. Criminals and dope fiends are NOT moving south to get away, they are staying up North. Most people migrating to NC is looking for a better life and not here to get into trouble. Therefore the economy is booming and will continue to thrive in NC. I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area which has a good economy, professional (white-collar) jobs are rampant, and its growing everyday. I'm only speculating but I think it will continue on course.

I've been in Raleigh-Durham for over 4 years now, Charlotte is my next stop!

Last edited by antonaf; 07-22-2006 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-22-2006, 11:26 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Spoken like a true naive transplant. No offense, but to believe that the area's good foturnes are going to continue indefinitely is ridiculous. Crime IS up, people from ALL socio-economic classes are moving to this area... not just middle and upper middle class people looking for whatever it is they are looking for. With growth ALWAYS comes problems.... people were saying the same things about Detroit 50 years ago that you are saying about NC now.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 41,409 times
Yes, I am certain with the influx of migrates the cost of living will rise and crime will increase. Though, I do believe crime will not get out of control, to the same liking of Newark, NJ or areas of NYC. This is because NC is a large state and most of the state is old-fashioned which will stay the same. Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro, and Ashville are considered the metro areas of the state...each location is distant from one another, on the other hand up North NYC (5 boroughs), Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, East Orange, Irvington, etc. are about 15 minutes from each other, which creates a serious congested area with crime out of control. The only true way I can see crime getting out of control in NC is if they implement a serious transportation system which allows commuters to work in Raleigh and live in Charlotte and the train system operates daily on hourly intervals (late into the night)...almost similar to up North...giving people the opportunity to party in Charlotte and live in Raleigh while only taking a 30-45 minute train ride. As of yet, Raleigh-Durham doesn't even have a sophisticated train system to get between the two cities, and I know there are talks, but until each metro area is connected by train or a sophisticated transportation system, then the crime will be controlled (IMHO). I think NC is at least 20-30 years off for a train system to connect all metro areas of NC in the way that I speak, maybe even longer (or maybe never). Right now, there is crime in Raleigh-Durham, but it is isolated...random acts of violence is uncommon in this area...most of the crime is in particular areas. If it wasn't for the news, I wouldn't even know there was crimes being committed in Raleigh-Durham, because where I live it has a low-crime rate, but when I lived up North, I never needed the news to tell me about the crime, because it was in my face everyday (if I kept my eyes open and paid attention).

As for the increase on the cost of living, that goes with any growing economy, but it will still be well below the cost of living up North. Plus, if you relocate 15 minutes out of the Raleigh-Durham area, you can live in the country-styled setting and can find affordable living without bearing the cost of the increased cost of living and the crime rate will be very low in these areas. These rural areas will mostly remain unaffected by the influx of migrations. In North/Central Jersey it was pretty hard (if not impossible) to relocate anywhere 15 minutes outside of the metro and find low cost living comparable to Raleigh-Durham or its lower-cost surrounding areas.

Not to mention if you have kids then this is a great State for education. Though, I do agree that the schools are becoming overcrowded, but this is an issue that will become solved by building more schools, of course with that will be an increase in State tax. NC has a lot of land for development and growth is a great thing (IMHO).

Old 07-22-2006, 12:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
You have a very limited definiton of "up north". Had you ever traveled west of the Hudson river, (or really anywhere outside of the NYC and Boston metro areas)... you might have a differnet view of the comparisons and contrasts between the two regions. I'm moving to New York soon and a house I am very interested in is priced at $159,000 (50k less than the last house I owned in Raleigh that was 200 sq ft smaller) . It has 4 bedrooms PLUS an inlaw suit for my mother, and a finished basement (something that can't be found in NC at all). It's on a 1/2 acre lot in a town that with a top 50 school district, and is one of the safest towns in the country. (it actually ranked above Cary in 2002). According to the FBI's reports from 2004.... the northeastern United states has the lowest crime rates of all 4 regions (Northeast, South, Midwest, and West)... while the south has the highest. http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/02-ncrimeindex01.html (broken link)

Old 07-22-2006, 12:30 PM

64 posts, read 263,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaf

Not to mention if you have kids then this is a great State for education. (IMHO).
You also have a limited definition of a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina