Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:32 PM

11 posts, read 41,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Had you ever traveled west of the Hudson river, (or really anywhere outside of the NYC and Boston metro areas)... [/url]
Yes, I have (lived in Jersey over 28 years)

Anything else is not considered the metropolitan. Where you speak of (West NJ) is comparable to living in the South outside the metro, living in rural communities. So, if you want to be fair and compare South rural communities to North rural communities, then you will still come up short.

Raleigh-Durham is one of the metro areas of NC which compares to Newark-NYC one of the metro areas of the Tri-State.

Last edited by antonaf; 07-22-2006 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
You also have a limited definition of a good education.
What problem do you have with NC education? Chapel Hill was once (not sure about now) in the top 3 places for K-12 education in the US. You have UNC, Duke, NC State all in the same vicinity. I don't see the problem with education here? Enlighten me.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,537,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaf
Yes, I have (lived in Jersey over 28 years)

Anything else is not considered the metropolitan. Where you speak of (West NJ) is comparable to living in the South outside the metro, living in rural communities. So, if you want to be fair and compare South rural communities to North rural communities, then you will still come up short.

Raleigh-Durham is one of the metro areas of NC which compares to Newark-NYC one of the metro areas of the Tri-State.
I was most definitely NOT talking about New Jersey. You knew what I meant... OUTSIDE OF THE URBAN CORRIDOR. And that doesn't only mean rural areas. Have you ever heard of Albany? Rochester? Syracuse? Buffalo?. Well believe it or not... these are all sizeable metropolitan areas in New York that are NOT part of the NYC metro by any means. They all have excellent suburban school districts... where you can buy very nice houses for under 200k. Like I said... your defintion of the Northeast is very limiited.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:59 PM

Point taken...

...sorry to Kupedeville for taking over this post. Back on topic.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:02 PM

180 posts, read 732,111 times
Sure you can buy a nice house in Buffalo and it may have a good school system, but it also has a good "SNOW SYSTEM" .

Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 PM

Yes, it has a very good snow removal system... the best in the country in fact. My kids have had more snow days in NC than my neices and nephews have in Rochester believe it or not. Snow really isn't an issue. It's plowed and out of your way within a few hours of falling. Shoveling snow out of your driveway might be a hassell... but people whine about it in a very exaggerated way. I'd take the snow over the hurricanes. pollen and oppresive no-going-outside summers anyday. (my anti-nc hormons are reving up today for some reason. We just got back from a visit the other day and I'm really not wanting to be here)

Old 07-22-2006, 02:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover
I am amazed that someone who has lived in "green" NC would ever consider moving to Phoenix. I find it rather frightening to live in a place that is so dependent on water being piped in from somewhere else. As bad as our current and future fuel shortages are and will be, water is poised to be our next major shortage. We can develop alternative fuels but there is literally nothing in the world to replace missing water. Places in the desert southwest are at the mercy of their water supply and I forsee a time when it may no longer be available. Coastal states are much better situated to maintain a reliable water supply. I would be afraid to move to some place where I was always worried about whether the water supply would dry up.

I went from NY to the desert not NC. I don't mind the desert but I'm tired of it now.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Yes, it has a very good snow removal system... the best in the country in fact. My kids have had more snow days in NC than my neices and nephews have in Rochester believe it or not. Snow really isn't an issue. It's plowed and out of your way within a few hours of falling. Shoveling snow out of your driveway might be a hassell... but people whine about it in a very exaggerated way. I'd take the snow over the hurricanes. pollen and oppresive no-going-outside summers anyday. (my anti-nc hormons are reving up today for some reason. We just got back from a visit the other day and I'm really not wanting to be here)

Hold on!

Hurricanes - in Raleigh-Durham??? I'm assuming you are speaking about the hockey team, because you can't be talking about the weather. Yes, hurricanes come through NC all the time, but Raleigh-Durham is too far in-land to feel the real affects of a hurricane. The only reason people would have more snow days down here than Northeast is because people down here panic and the state is afraid to take chances, they do overact to weather conditions down here, but the weather is uncomparable completely.

The only complaint I would have about the weather is the humidity in the South, but compared to the cold and snow I would take this any day. To say people whine about the snow and over exaggerate is almost outrageous, when was the last time you had to do heavy shoveling of snow in the South. The last time I remember a serious storm in NC was when I first moved down here in 2002, the Ice Storm. Still didn't have to do any heavy shoveling, just was without electricity for about 5 days (that sucked!), but haven't had an issue with the weather since. Yeah, we caught a few flurries here and there, but nothing that compares to the weather in the North. My family still lives in New Jersey and they just had a bad snow storm this past year (about 36 inches or more), but from what they told me, everyone still went about their merry way and went to school/work like it was a sunny day, that is just how we do it up North. Tell me when have you seen 36 inches of snow in NC, what about 12 inches??

You are making a lot of unfair comparisons about NC compared to NY/NJ...the FBI report you presented is completely off-base and is not a represented comparison, it is based off region and not city by city comparison, of course the South is going to show more crime rate statistics when you factor in Florida, Virginia, Texas, Georgia, Louisanna, etc. compared to Maine, New England, Rhode Island, etc. But compare Newark to Durham and you will get a real comparison.

I understand if you just don't like the South, but lets be fair with the comparisons.

Take a look at these city-by-city crime rate comparisons (per 100,000 people is the fairest comparison):Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-22-2006, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
I think you might find the Greensboro area just what you are looking for. Seems you might want to check job opportunities before deciding exactly which area you want to be in. Blue Cross Blue Shield is a big company in NC. Baptist hospital and Bowman Gray have wonderful reputations and are in that area, also Wake Forest University. You need to get online and ask for literature from that area. Winston Salem Greensboro Highpoint etc.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Hurricanes - in Raleigh-Durham??? I'm assuming you are speaking about the hockey team, because you can't be talking about the weather. Yes, hurricanes come through NC all the time, but Raleigh-Durham is too far in-land to feel the real affects of a hurricane. The only reason people would have more snow days down here than Northeast is because people down here panic and the state is afraid to take chances, they do overact to weather conditions down here, but the weather is uncomparable completely.
Ah yes, you've only lived here for 4 years... therefor you wouldn't remember when HURRICANE fran rolled through Raleigh in 1996 with wind gusts of over 140 MPH that ripped part of the roof of the RDU airport. And where virtually every yard had trees down. You also wouldn't have been here for the 2000 blizzard that dumped 27 inches of snow in Raleigh which closed school for 2 weeks! However... you were here for the Feb 2003 icestorms weren't you? I know that the reason for more snow days in NC is because of the panic and lack of experience and supplies... that was my point. And you are also correct... the CITES of upstate NY do have very high crime rates... that is why I was talkinb about the SUBURBS. The city of Raleigh is very suburban in nature... most of it's neighborhoods are what would be found in the suburbs of most Northeastern cities. So the comparison really isn't fare if you are using city limits. Amherst, NY, outside of Buffalo, is actually the safest town in the country. There are also several other NY towns and cities that made the top 20 list.... the ONLY town in NC to make that list is Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina