U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 48,990 times
Default Is NC a nice place to live?

I am from Michigan, and recently have heard great things about North Carolina. Michigan's economy is horrible and it is a really bland state to live in if you are a young adult just starting out in about every aspect! Our govenor is horrible and driving our state into the ground and everyone is moving. They recently polled Michigan residents, 40% of residents plan on leaving soon. The real estate market is horrible here and so is the job outlook and therefore everyone in Michigan has a poor attitude and there is nothing to do here especially in the winter months if you aren't a snowmobiler or hunter.
I heard the economy in NC is great, real estate is great and it is just a nice place to live. Can some one tell me how life is in NC. We are thinking of moving there. And a suggestion of a good town to start looking at if we are a new couple about to be married, both with Bachelors and have jobs now, and somehwhere with good schools and things to do for young people??? Either your opinion or facts would be great! How is Greensboro? Raleigh, etc...? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 05:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 9,849,142 times
My opinion.... well, I haven't spent much time in Michigan; but if it's at all similar to Western NY (which I've heard it is), I'd say stay there if you have a lot of family there that you are close too. I thought all of the same things about WNY when I first moved to NC.... but eventually got very homesick. I had staunchly argued that I would never miss winter or anything about my hometown.... but now I can't wait to move back. NC is a great place..... but it's not for everyone. The larger cities are in many ways transient communities. That suits a lot of people, but again, not everyone (not me). If you have a job, a house, and a lot of family where you are now.... based on my personal experience in a similar situation; I would suggest staying put. I'm sure many will argue that it's better to try something and regretting it instead of always wondering what if, but that's not always true.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 PM

No I wouldn't compare Michigan to WNY in any way except for the similar climates, that is much more "country" than Michigan. If you have been to Ohio, Indiana or even illinois it is pretty much exactly the same. It is pretty much the bad economy here with automobiles being the main industry and GM and Delphi are dying and therefore so is everything is. I would consider WNY to the Upper Pennisula of MI. North of the City I live in, there isn't all that much but my town south is pretty much like any other state, I've been to 48 states so I feel I can say that fairly. Michigan is just behind in the economy right now and a lot of people are leaving. I don't want to give Michigan a huge bad rep, we have the absolute best summers/perfect without a doubt and we have thousands of lakes including the biggest freshwater lakes in the world. I am not a big snow person even though I have lived here my whole life. Winter is pretty dreary. I just want to move some where that is vibrant, growing and fun. God I miss the 90's dont you? Thanks your opinion, but we have pretty much made up our mind, we are moving, it is just a question of where.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 PM

lol.... wny isn't all country. I'm from Rochester. It does sound very similar to where my mind was at several years ago, but that doesn't mean that you are in the same situation as I was so I hope it all works out for you. As for where to look in NC.... I'd suggest anywhere but Wake County if you are concerned about schools. They school system here is just ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:21 PM

890 posts, read 2,807,174 times
Ya know, I don't want to squash your hopes but I just see so many people wanting to move to the South. It almost seems like it's starting to get out of control. I read new posts everyday on several different boards of people relocating to either NC or SC. It's almost scary. If it keeps up like this for years to come no telling what it will be like. I've actually been contemplating retiring somewhere up North some day. I mean, don't get me wrong there are many great things here but there are also many not so great things here too just like you think about Michigan. One is uncontrolled urban sprawl and overcrowding of schools. There is so many people coming here they just can't keep up with it. My daughter had 36-40 students in some of her high school classes last year. You could move here and it might be great or it might not be great. Not everyone that moves here likes it. I'm surprised you say that about Michigan because Money Magazine listed West Bloomfield as #14 as the top places to live in the nation, Ann Arbor is #25, Farmington Hill #29, Sterling Heights #37. That's a lot of places in Michigan making just the top 50 spots. Just something to think about. Good Luck with your decision.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Indeed, the rampant migration south is getting out of hand.... it's going to have some serious side effects down the road.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 PM

312 posts, read 1,188,703 times
Hi Kupe - I'm a Floridian who lived in FL for 15 years, Pittsburgh for 20 years, and 4 years in Rochester, NY. I can tell you that I cannot stand blizzard and the freeze. Moving to Florida was wonderful for me until I grew tired of it, especially repeative hurricanes, low paying job, and bad schools. My family and I knew it's time for us to move and we eventually choose NC because they have plenty of jobs with good pay, good schools, fun things to do, and pleasant weather.

We choose Johnston County, which is south of Raleigh's Wake County because we like to be away from the crazy scene, like traffic, school crowds, and cost of a new home. Johnston County indeed is growing and we found a new, beautiful home for under $160k.

We did visited Greensboro and other towns, but they aren't our type. It's best for you to go there and see it for yourself. You will get your answer by then by which town you liked the best. Reading other people's posts are kinda hard because everybody's opinions are different.

Good luck on your decision and move.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Bitter!

Thanks cake princess thats very helpful. I agree there is a few cities in Michigan that are great and booming however they aren' that great for myself, which I probably should have stated before, I am in the health and human service "business". Those counties/cities such as farmington hills and bloomfield hills are big corporation/big business and also metro-detroit area....a very RICH community (all the cities listed!)!!!! We're talking like $300,000-1,000,000 houses, many executives and I am just not in that market..although it would be nice!!!! As for 36-40 people in a class room, that was quite common when I was in High school and that was 10 years ago! We also have the one of the highest paid teachers in the nation, and I guess I can't really be all that objective being that I have no children as of now... I can't quite be that objective. And Michigan schools are ranked quite high, although I can understand about the city life and congestion can get annoying. Thank you so much for all your input that was so quickly recieved!! Also I would like to add that I have been to almost all states and I guess you can't really say until you live here but I have lived here my whole life and I feel like Michigan has the rudest, most bitter, impolite people in the nation. Really! I'm sure a lot of people think that way about the place the grew up but I can honestly say that people south of kentucky are taught much many more manors and are in generally better spirits (generally
) than Michiganders. Michigan is pretty to visit, but not so much to live. Most all people that work in Michigan are some how related or involed with businesses such as Dow Corning, Dow chemical, GM or Delphi and all of which are having sever financial difficulties. One day beack two months ago was actually considered to be another "Black Tuesday' because of all of the layoffs from GM!! It has serious implications to all surroundings cities! I am more interested in learning about positive experiences from other places to live! Thank you all for you opinion though...very helpful!

Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 PM

2,295 posts, read 16,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
My opinion.... well, I haven't spent much time in Michigan; but if it's at all similar to Western NY (which I've heard it is), I'd say stay there if you have a lot of family there that you are close too. I thought all of the same things about WNY when I first moved to NC.... but eventually got very homesick. I had staunchly argued that I would never miss winter or anything about my hometown.... but now I can't wait to move back. NC is a great place..... but it's not for everyone. The larger cities are in many ways transient communities. That suits a lot of people, but again, not everyone (not me). If you have a job, a house, and a lot of family where you are now.... based on my personal experience in a similar situation; I would suggest staying put. I'm sure many will argue that it's better to try something and regretting it instead of always wondering what if, but that's not always true.

You should have given Charlotte a whirl. Although I doubt you would like it. If you don't like Raleigh and that reminds me of upstate NY, Charlotte doesn't.

How do you know you wouldn't have wondered what if? At least you know it's not for you and you can enjoy New York even more than ever.

I've been out of NY for 18 years and haven't even thought of visiting. If I don't like NC I'm headed back to Phoenix, hopefully not but I don't have any other ideas.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:02 PM

2,295 posts, read 16,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
Ya know, I don't want to squash your hopes but I just see so many people wanting to move to the South. It almost seems like it's starting to get out of control. I read new posts everyday on several different boards of people relocating to either NC or SC. It's almost scary. If it keeps up like this for years to come no telling what it will be like. I've actually been contemplating retiring somewhere up North some day. I mean, don't get me wrong there are many great things here but there are also many not so great things here too just like you think about Michigan. One is uncontrolled urban sprawl and overcrowding of schools. There is so many people coming here they just can't keep up with it. My daughter had 36-40 students in some of her high school classes last year. You could move here and it might be great or it might not be great. Not everyone that moves here likes it. I'm surprised you say that about Michigan because Money Magazine listed West Bloomfield as #14 as the top places to live in the nation, Ann Arbor is #25, Farmington Hill #29, Sterling Heights #37. That's a lot of places in Michigan making just the top 50 spots. Just something to think about. Good Luck with your decision.

No different from the migration to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina