U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 AM

153 posts, read 1,164,733 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to NC when I retire in a few years. What is the story about ice in the winter in NC? I am in the Kansas City area and we get a LOT of ice in the winter. I've heard that areas of NC also get winter ice. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Are there areas of NC that are better as far as no ice in the winter? I'm more interested in Western NC than living on the coast.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 AM

787 posts, read 3,318,552 times
In the western part of the state, I am sure they get more snow than the rest of us. I was living in Johnston County in 1989 when the areas further east got snow, we got ice and lots of it. It doesn't happen often but when it does, the general thinking is to run to the grocery store and buy all the milk and bread in particular you can get and some batteries in case of power outages which are just about a certainty going to occur. We generally get a good snow or ice storm about once every 3-4 years, that is in the east.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 6,837,649 times
The western part of the state (mountains) probably are more likely to get snow than ice. Once you get east of Hickory, though, it's more likely to be ice than snow. It's not a big deal, really, if you prepare before hand. (Have a stocked pantry, batteries, oil lamp, firewood, etc.)

It's funny to watch all the northerners, though, get into their 4x4's and drive around thinking that driving on ice is the same as snow. IT IS NOT. Your SUV is gonna slide across that ice and flip over!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
JAS

568 posts, read 1,771,383 times
Default Ice

RaleighRob described it very well. The Piedmont area of NC gets a lot more ice than snow.

I don't care how much snow someone has driven in over the years, sheets of ice on the road are a different animal.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,881,353 times
2003 saw the most icestorns in Raleigh's recent history. There were 3 in the month of Februrary, with the most severe one being first. I remember the second one most vividly though because it was the day we brought my new son home from the hospital! February 16.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:16 PM

483 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
2003 saw the most icestorns in Raleigh's recent history. There were 3 in the month of Februrary, with the most severe one being first. I remember the second one most vividly though because it was the day we brought my new son home from the hospital! February 16.
I remember when I went to the hospital for a scheduled c-section. I spent Christmas week in the hospital and on Christmas day we had a blizzard. Despite the fact that I spent Christmas in the hospital, it was so beautiful looking out the window and seeing the snow coming down. My in-laws had to stay at my house because they were from out of town and visibility on the roads were zero. Needless to say, that was the best Christmas I ever had.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
The western part of the state (mountains) probably are more likely to get snow than ice. Once you get east of Hickory, though, it's more likely to be ice than snow. It's not a big deal, really, if you prepare before hand. (Have a stocked pantry, batteries, oil lamp, firewood, etc.)

It's funny to watch all the northerners, though, get into their 4x4's and drive around thinking that driving on ice is the same as snow. IT IS NOT. Your SUV is gonna slide across that ice and flip over!
It's not ALL the northerners, and it's not just northerners. And yes, there are many who think that getting into an SUV is going to make the drive across the ice a smooth one. It's not. It doesn't matter what car you drive, you can have a 16-wheeler as well. Ice is ice and nothing will prevent those tires from sliding.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 PM

153 posts, read 1,164,733 times
Default Re: Ice in NC....thanks!

Thanks to all of you for replying. I believe the bad ice storm you had was the same year we were hit with the worst ice storm in KC history. Driving and/or trying to walk on ice is no picnic (ice grippers on shoes help a lot though).

I really appreciate your input! Sure would like to be in NC, but would also like to live sans ice. But, no place is perfect, I realize that.

Your advice is a big help!

Katie

Old 07-20-2006, 03:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,881,353 times
NC get's more ice than many other states mainly because of it's central locaiton on the coast. Most storms durring winter that pass over the East Coast have a thin strip where it is soley icestorm.... then North of that strip is snow, and south of it is rain. At least part of that strip is usually in NC if it's a really big front.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM
JAS

568 posts, read 1,771,383 times
Default ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
It's not ALL the northerners, and it's not just northerners.
I think Rob is referring to those from the northeast or midwest who make fun of us for freaking out when there is snow on the road. It's not the snow that we're worried about, it's the ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina