U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Saint Patrick`s Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread
Old 07-13-2007, 06:54 PM
223 posts, read 931,615 times

Bess - Thanks for the update on the home prices in McCracken Hts. Hadn't realized it had increased that much. Our first home was there a number of years back, and when it sold (for the 3rd time since we'd owned it) a couple of years ago they were asking just over $100K. Good to hear the neighborhood is still valued. We have fond memories of it!

Al- I coveted that Tudor in McCracken Hts. when we lived there. It is so pretty! Some of the long-time McH residents told us that decades back it was used as a tea room restaurant for awhile. Definitely could see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
31 posts, read 89,029 times
Sanford has experienced an influx of Latinos and the accompanying statistics. Those problems tend to stay within the Latino community and account for the police calls. We have had a few incidents when the drug problem started to grow, but nowadays it is pretty quiet here.

Like any place in North America the freedom has its price. Still, Sanford can be considered a pretty quiet town. We have lived in Raleigh, NY, L.A. and KC. This is by far a more secure and quiet place.

There are currently a numberl of new homes under construction ranging from 120 to 150k. You also have your pick of rurals and other homes. There are a number of very nice neighborhoods.

We live in town on 50 acres. Our house was built in 1923 and is a great project. In a couple of years we hope to have some bragging rights.

If you are interested, we have a 5.8 acre lot with pond and some woods available. The J Glenn Edwards Elementry School is only a stones throw.

Look before you leap.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
1 posts, read 4,286 times
My wife and I are trying to decide whether to purchase a homesite at Carolina Trace, a community in Pinehurst (probably Pinewild or Mid South), or at Anderson Creek Club near Fayetteville for when I retire in about 4 years. Each seems to us to have advantages and disadvantages. Property tax rates vary widely, each has a different "feel", and we don't have enough information to "crystal ball" what things might be like in each place in 4 years. Can anyone compare the three locations to help us out? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 AM
9 posts, read 43,364 times
I don't know Pinehurst all that well but know Carolina Trace VERY well and have been to Anderson Creek a few times. They are all within an hour of one another but in different counties, which is why you see a wide range in property taxes. Pinehurst in Moore county has for years been a draw for its famous golf courses, Carolina Trace is in Lee County which has typically had a manufacturing base, and Anderson Creek is in Harnett County which has traditionally been a rural area. Lee County has diversified its base in recent years and is starting to see growth from its neighbors to the North (Raleigh). Harnett County is growing from the North as well but is seeing even more growth due to the transfer of several thousand troops to neighboring Fort Bragg.

Carolina Trace was developed starting in the late 1960s and has two beautiful Robert Trent Jones golf courses. It is built around a large lake and a bunch of smaller lakes and ponds. Trace is unusual in that it is a planned community that is divided into 18 smaller subdivisions. Each of these has its own Homeowners' Association and unique feel. Some have community amenities such as tennis courts and swimming pools and some of them do not. Some have very active homeowners' associations with strict covenants, others are more laid back and relaxed. One great thing about Carolina Trace is it has a home for just about any budget or style. There are small homes on interior lots for under $100,000 and large homes on the main lake for over $400,000. You can choose from an older home built in the 60s or 70s, buy a newer home, or have one custom built. There are a lot of options available within Carolina Trace. Carolina Trace has been around for a while and while homes will undoubtedly continue to be built over the next few years it isn't likely to change much.

Anderson Creek Club is a fairly recent development. It is centered around a golf course and country club. Since it is a more recently developed area, it is more uniform than Carolina Trace. There is less of a range in home prices and styles but there is still a pretty wide range of choices.

You seem to be interested in gated golf communities so I will also mention Carolina Lakes, which is another community in Harnett County between Anderson Creek Club and Carolina Trace. It is more centered on Lake activities but also offers a golf course. Carolina Lakes has a wide a variety of home styles and prices like Carolina Trace but has more of a unified Homeowners' Association. Carolina Lakes also offers a swimming pool, tennis courts, and an exercise trail.

As you said, each community has a different feel and that may change over the course of time but hopefully some of what I wrote will be of benefit to you.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 PM
2 posts, read 6,318 times
Default Moving to Sanford, north carolina

I will be moving to Sanford in December. Does anyone know of an apt in Sanford that isn't so costly that allows medium sized dogs?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:27 PM
7 posts, read 52,400 times
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
I have a job potentially lined up in Sanford. I was in NC last month and didnt make it to that part of the state. Any info would be good thanks
Sanford is a smaller town, but it is very laid back and I personally like it. Before we moved back into Fayetteville we lived in Harnett County which is right next to Lee County (Sanford).

You don't actually have to live in Sanford....Harnett County has some nice places and the taxes are cheaper.

I am in that area and would be glad to give you a hand in finding a place.

Let me know if you need some help (910) 494-5570.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
1,101 posts, read 1,065,499 times
Default Know Nothing About The Area

I'm glad I found these forums. I have a general question about the Sanford area. Actually I have been looking online at some offerings in the area by Beazer and KB Homes. My SO's family lives in Durham so we plan on going south in a few years. Being from NJ I was floored by the prices for new homes. I noticed that the same floor plans offered in the Durham area in the 175K price range are close to 150K in Sanford. Is anyone familiar with the neighborhoods these homes are located in? I am not handy and am looking for a new house. While I am getting up there I have no interest in a condo or townhouse and can handle getting around a quarter acre with a push mower. Any areas I should definitely avoid in the Sanford area? Can I assume property taxes are a shade over 1% of assessed value? TIA.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 AM
635 posts, read 2,583,877 times
Hi, which neighborhoods in Sanford are you referring to?

Prices in Sanford typically are lower than the surrounding larger cities, but like everywhere can depend on the neighborhood. There are also some very expensive pockets if one looks.

Property taxes are in the realm you've assumed, although I think are closer to 1.2-1.3(if I recall) combined city and county.

As far as areas to avoid, if you aren't in the market for an older home then the older downtown areas are probably not where you want to look. Most of the newer developments are toward the edges of town, like most cities.

Again, what neighborhoods are you looking at?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM
1,101 posts, read 1,065,499 times
Thanks for the quick reply Al. Actually in the Sanford area I am looking at Carthage Colonies a Beazer development. What's that area like?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 AM
44 posts, read 222,060 times
I lived several years in a subdivision called Carolina Hills which is located between Sanford and Spring Lake. It started out pretty nice but eventually went downhill. After two break ins I got out of there and sold that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or