U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM

4,718 posts, read 4,913,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I wish the OP well wherever they move. Let's not go down the rabbit hole of selecively cherry picking MSA/CSA numbers to bolster inaccurate claims urby. That is really tired and doesn't help the OP.
Would you have rather seen me post the numerical growth of the entire Triangle vs Charlotte's entire metro area? Besides, most folks feel that the Triangle should be "one" again. My post did just that. You don't like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM

8,996 posts, read 17,634,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Would you have rather seen me post the numerical growth of the entire Triangle vs Charlotte's entire metro area? Besides, most folks feel that the Triangle should be "one" again. My post did just that. You don't like?
Post away. I'm always up for a good laugh. It amuses me to see people try and massage numbers and cherry pick statistics to prop up half baked ideas. Of course, nothing you have posted has provided an even remotely intelligent rebuttal to rnc2mbfl's factual post (See below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Assertion #1 is inaccurate. The combined population of the Raleigh, Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill city limits is over 800,000 people: making the total greater than than the city of Charlotte. In fact, the combination of Raleigh, Durham and Cary (without Chapel Hill) is more populated than Charlotte. While I understand the point you are trying to make, be careful with your statistics. Interestingly, the total land area of the 3 aforementioned Triangle cities closely proximates that of Charlotte within just a few square miles.

According to one report by the state this Summer, Wake County has already surpassed Mecklenburg in population. At over 900,000 Wake County is still only ~35% municipal (292 square miles). Mecklenburg is listed as ~74% municipal (389 square miles). So, it's correct to assume that Wake's total population will distance itself from Mecklenburg in decades to come. Wake has an enviable advantage of having more land available in the metro's core county. This is a growth advantage that the Raleigh area enjoys.

It's also interesting to note that both Raleigh and Cary have a denser municipal population than Charlotte. While Charlotte certainly enjoys a denser core of its city, its overall city limits is more sprawled (or perhaps more is undeveloped?).

No municipality in Wake County will ever reach the land size of Charlotte. At 143 square miles, Raleigh is about half the land area of Charlotte but more than half its population. The city is hemmed on most sides by other municipalities and there just isn't another 143 square miles to annex. Raleigh and the Triangle will always be an ensemble of cities that make up a mosaic metro area where city limits are blurred. This does not diminish the area vis-a-vis other metros whose more singular focus is exemplified by Charlotte.

As Wake County grows in population, its municipalities will also grow. Apex will eventually join Cary in the 100,000+ club as Cary pushes past 200,000. Raleigh will probably settle somewhere in the 550-600,000 range when Wake County reaches 1.5 million. This sort of dynamic will never exist in Mecklenburg and the two can't be compared on an apples to apples format. Simply put, the counties have 2 completely different municipal models. (One of the best and most extreme examples of this would be in Florida where MiamiDade is clearly the most populated county while Jacksonville is its largest municipality). While Raleigh was never a big player in the past, it is certainly making a big push and is taking attention away from its big sister to the West. It's inevitable as the Raleigh area continues to lead the pace in growth for the nation over the next 15-20 years. The good folks in Charlotte just better get used to sharing the limelight. NC isn't a one trick pony anymore.

North Carolina Municipal Population Estimates | NC | OSBM

Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM

882 posts, read 1,324,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Post away. I'm always up for a good laugh. It amuses me to see people try and massage numbers and cherry pick statistics to prop up half baked ideas. Of course, nothing you have posted has provided an even remotely intelligent rebuttal to rnc2mbfl's factual post (See below).
I agree. No one is taking anything from Charlotte. It's a bustling and flourishing metropolis with lots to offer. The growth potential between the Triangle and Charlotte metros is negligible at best. Both areas are on the come up in the national scene. Obviously Charlotte is the first to be recognized, with Raleigh coming in soon after. Years from now both cities will unquestionably be "Big Cities."

Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM

23 posts, read 50,408 times
I just checked back to see how this thread is doing. I have spent a lot of time in the some northern suburbs of Charlotte lately. I don't really like these areas for us.
I realize now, we shouldn't be looking only at the city and stats (because both cities prove to be good in this regard), but really look at your lifestyle, what you want to get from the core of the city, the suburb/neighborhood you reside in, the cultural/social groups, available jobs/activities, etc.

Since I've spent an equal amount of time in the Raleigh/Durham area last year, I can now say that I feel "more at home" there...but not yet sure (although I would miss the big city core) . I need to spend more time in other areas of Charlotte, like the downtown areas, Mint Hill, Matthews, etc. to get an overall feel of the city and suburbs overall.

Now I am getting away from the "economic/real estate growth" question of my original post because both cities have numbers and stats to back them up as "the best" depending on what you are looking at.

I'm convinced now that both cities will flourish. NC as a state has great weather and quality/cost of living overall.

So I am just going to keep visiting both cities and their suburbs over the next year or so and will decide.
The info here has really helped me with knowing what to "look for" in my decision.
Thanks!

Last edited by Belinda5; 12-08-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM

33 posts, read 55,016 times
If you think Charlotte is a major U.S. City are sadly mistaken. Sure, the downtown skyline is looking better but go into downtown, I mean Uptown, and it isn't that impressive at all. NC does not have a major true city that is world known and probably never will. Atlanta is the capital of the South and will always have that title.

Raleigh Durham can offer you everything that Charlotte can. The only thing Charlotte has is more professional sports (NBA and NFL) but Raleigh has NHL. Other than that, its about the same. Charlotteans have this huge ego that Charlotte is some huge, urban thriving metro region that is the capital of the south. Get over it and get real.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,010,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesideout View Post
If you think Charlotte is a major U.S. City are sadly mistaken. Sure, the downtown skyline is looking better but go into downtown, I mean Uptown, and it isn't that impressive at all. NC does not have a major true city that is world known and probably never will. Atlanta is the capital of the South and will always have that title.

Raleigh Durham can offer you everything that Charlotte can. The only thing Charlotte has is more professional sports (NBA and NFL) but Raleigh has NHL. Other than that, its about the same. Charlotteans have this huge ego that Charlotte is some huge, urban thriving metro region that is the capital of the south. Get over it and get real.
Some of your post is true, but I think you would be surprised how many people in the global business world know or have heard of Charlotte. Doesn't Charlotte have a lot of ties with German corporations? It's been a while since I lived in Charlotte but it definitely has gotten more name recongnition over the years.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:06 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,494,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda5 View Post
I just checked back to see how this thread is doing. I have spent a lot of time in the some northern suburbs of Charlotte lately. I don't really like these areas for us.
I realize now, we shouldn't be looking only at the city and stats (because both cities prove to be good in this regard), but really look at your lifestyle, what you want to get from the core of the city, the suburb/neighborhood you reside in, the cultural/social groups, available jobs/activities, etc.

Since I've spent an equal amount of time in the Raleigh/Durham area last year, I can now say that I feel "more at home" there...but not yet sure (although I would miss the big city core) . I need to spend more time in other areas of Charlotte, like the downtown areas, Mint Hill, Matthews, etc. to get an overall feel of the city and suburbs overall.

Now I am getting away from the "economic/real estate growth" question of my original post because both cities have numbers and stats to back them up as "the best" depending on what you are looking at.

I'm convinced now that both cities will flourish. NC as a state has great weather and quality/cost of living overall.

So I am just going to keep visiting both cities and their suburbs over the next year or so and will decide.
The info here has really helped me with knowing what to "look for" in my decision.
Thanks!
Enjoy yourself as you continue to do research.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,492,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^No, I'm in Winston, and I commute every day from Clemmons. I always come in early, between 7:00 and 7:30, and the traffic is nothing. But even on the occasions when I come in later, the "rush hour" is no more than 10-15 minutes at most. And even then, it moves steadily, unless of course there's an accident which fortunately is a rare occurrence. I've lived in Raleigh and Charlotte, so I can say with confidence that Winston-Salem traffic is a walk in the park compared to them.
With all due respect, if you're talking about traffic at 7:00-7:30PM, then Charlotte doesn't have traffic. Now 7:30AM could be a totally different story.

Something else I would like to respond to is this Charlotte having a bad education system. Myers Park HS has been consistently rated as having an above par IB program at its school. You also have schools such as Independence, Providence, South Meck, East Meck that are also consistently rated as having great programs. Then you also have private institutions such as Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Latin, Providence Day that are also great schools. Not to mention the newly elected mayor of Charlotte graduated from my alma-mater of West Charlotte. Does Charlotte have its education problems, yes. Is it far worse than any other city in the country? Heck No!!! If you haven't been to school in CMS I really don't see you're point.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,492,956 times
Quote:

Thanks!
The better areas of Charlotte are towards the south. Although I have grown up in the north it is much more suburban and slower. You should check out Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, Southpark Area, and Southend. I highly recommend Southend because you can actually have a better option of using the public transportation if you want to get around. My dad lives in between Woodlawn and South Blvd., and I frequently use the park and ride at the Scaleybark station. Matthews is also nice, but too suburban for my taste, but it could be perfect for you. If want to go to northern Charlotte, check out the Huntersville town, especially Birkdale villiage.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 AM

8,996 posts, read 17,634,648 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Sounds like a solid plan. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina