U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,698 times

Advertisements

Is there a need in the area for a veterinarian or dog boarding facility? I am looking at a place and want to be sure there will actually be a need. I lived in Georgia for 25 years, moved back to Michigan for 6 years and have now had enough of snow. If there is an animal shelter in need of a spay/neuter vet, please let me know. Also, is there hay available for horses and what is the approximate cost per bale? It will be a year or more before I can make the move, but I thought I would start checking everything out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,895,247 times
The fescue/orchard grass hay I bought today was $4/bale delivered; it would have been $3.50 if I had picked it up. It looks good so far. I've paid as little as $2 (mistake!) and as much as $5.50. High-end grass hay is available for $7. I don't know what alfalfa costs. A lot of growers don't care about weeds, poisonous or not, but I've found a couple that are good. Also, some only have round bales.

I don't know about the need for small animal vets, but our horse vet comes from pretty far away. (There certainly are plenty of dogs around that need to be neutered.)

Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 PM

148 posts, read 388,290 times
I was going to say there are a lot of small animal vets & several small boarding/kennel facilities in the area, but I can see the need another large animal vet because of the numbers of horse [and cattle] owners nearby, especially in the areas around Dudley Shoals & Taylorsville, sort of north of Hickory.

There are several animal shelters, but I am not sure if they are in need of vets. There are a lot of animals that need to be spayed and neutered, but I think that may be more because of cost and irresponsibility on the owners' parts than because of a vet shortage.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM

101 posts, read 206,605 times
The shelters in NC don't spay & neuter their dogs & cats, they euthanize them (using a gas chamber).

Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,895,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cny2cnc View Post
The shelters in NC don't spay & neuter their dogs & cats, they euthanize them (using a gas chamber).
There are some no-kill shelters. In Morganton there is Friends For Animals Humane Society of Burke County, and Catawba County has the Humane Society of Catawba County, which I think is in Hickory. Hickory also has another animal shelter, but it is one that euthanizes (can't confirm method used).

Last edited by sll3454; 11-06-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina