Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,953 times

Advertisements

Everyone just has to know how incredibly terrible the employment rate is here in Michigan. It's because of this that my husband, I and our 1 year old son want to move South SOON (Mid-August). We are very interested in North (or South) Carolina, but know NOTHING about it. I have become a bit nervous after reading a few threads talking about how difficult it is to find a job before you get there, and suggestions of using your savings. My husband just graduated law school, and is taking the Michigan Bar in 4 days. After years and years of being a student and living off of school loans, there isn't much of a savings. We definitely have enough to get us there and into a rented place, but we'd need to find jobs quickly. Are there very many Law Clerk (eventually attorney) positions in NC? I will be looking for a position at a Montessori or Private school- Assistant Teacher. Plus, we definitely need some help on which areas are nice for a young family. We aren't too picky... just a nice friendly neighborhood close to shopping and events. Obviously schools will be important eventually also but not for a couple of years. Any advice would be unbelievably appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Who said it was hard to find a job? I missed that thread, seriously. Please post the thread.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 34,977 times
Default Teaching Jobs

I had no problem getting a teaching position in NC. We have visited many times but I still don't think I'm all that knowledgeable. What I do know is there is no way I could not live near the coast. Way too humid!! Michigan has been bad, but eventually we do get relief. Some of the counties who beg the most for teachers really have reasons to be begging. My daughter had to wear an orthotic prior to surgery. Some of the people just stared at her like she was an alien. Then at night at the motel, the girl in the next room was making a ton of money - very busy young lady! Needless to say, we drove back to MI at 2:30 AM. I do like Durham for all it's diversity. It reminds me a lot of Ann Arbor. We will be living in Winston -somewhere?? Good Luck and drive around.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:05 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Who said it was hard to find a job? I missed that thread, seriously. Please post the thread.

Thanks

I don't think it's gonna be hard. I'm going to try to transfer but I should be able to land something with the help of headhunter. I guess it depends on what you do for a living.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott133
I had no problem getting a teaching position in NC. We have visited many times but I still don't think I'm all that knowledgeable. What I do know is there is no way I could not live near the coast. Way too humid!! Michigan has been bad, but eventually we do get relief. Some of the counties who beg the most for teachers really have reasons to be begging. My daughter had to wear an orthotic prior to surgery. Some of the people just stared at her like she was an alien. Then at night at the motel, the girl in the next room was making a ton of money - very busy young lady! Needless to say, we drove back to MI at 2:30 AM. I do like Durham for all it's diversity. It reminds me a lot of Ann Arbor. We will be living in Winston -somewhere?? Good Luck and drive around.
The stats show Durham is a bad area. Where was your hotel?

Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 34,977 times
We were in Hoke Co - I'm not sure which hotel but it was one of the economy ones.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:23 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
OK Tornado, don't you too go buying into those silly anti-Durham stereotypes everyone seems to fall for, or I'll start my "Durham is a decent city unlike the rumours say" tirade. LOL Take it from an NC native.

Parrott-- Yes Hoke is a little hard up economically...your story is no surprise...but still funny.

Erose--back to topic....teacher jobs are aplenty in NC. You'll find that the urban counties will pay a great deal more than the rural ones do, so start your searches in the cities and you should be find for finding some good work. ...which should also apply to your husband if he's gonna be a lawyer.
The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, ChapelHill) is strong economically and very likely to have tons of teaching jobs and a decent number of lawyer positions. Best of luck!

Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
OK Tornado, don't you too go buying into those silly anti-Durham stereotypes everyone seems to fall for, or I'll start my "Durham is a decent city unlike the rumours say" tirade. LOL Take it from an NC native.

Parrott-- Yes Hoke is a little hard up economically...your story is no surprise...but still funny.

Erose--back to topic....teacher jobs are aplenty in NC. You'll find that the urban counties will pay a great deal more than the rural ones do, so start your searches in the cities and you should be find for finding some good work. ...which should also apply to your husband if he's gonna be a lawyer.
The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, ChapelHill) is strong economically and very likely to have tons of teaching jobs and a decent number of lawyer positions. Best of luck!
I was laughing SOOOOO hard! What about the three I like? Waxhaw, Davidson, and Fort Mill. Which would you live in?

Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
I don't think it's difficult to get a job in general, but those moving down here should do some research. I lived in Wilmington for 5 years and now Asheville for 4, and I can say that neither of those cities is a good place for let's say, software professionals to move, since although they're both growing and have good economies, those kind of jobs just aren't there. Much more likely to land a job like that in RDU or CLT. I've seen people make posts where they are determined to find a job in a certain sector in a certain location, and it's difficult at best if you limit yourself like that. Now if you are looking for a teaching job, or retail job, in an area like those two, you wouldn't have that much difficulty.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Tornado- Definitely Davidson. Cool little liberal arts college towns have their advantages.

Roxors- yeah, Asheville & Wilmington's biggest sectors would probably be tourist-related. For Software, the Triangle would have the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina