U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 AM

19 posts, read 74,287 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Laurinburg for 13 years. I have worked in Lumberton and Laurinburg. Both areas are economically depressed. People who can and who are educated are leaving Laurinburg. If you have to live anywhere, live in Moore County in the Pinehurst Southern Pines areas. If you like a town with nothing to do, struggling schools, teachers leaving, poor economy then move to Laurinburg. It is a dying entity. My family and I are trying to get jobs away from here and move away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junie View Post
Hello to all,

We have been reading very useful posts for the past several days and appreciate the advice you give.

My family intends to move to North Carolina pretty soon, because of a job relocation (a faculty member of UNCP). Currently we are living in Northern Virginia (Washington, DC suburban area) and we have one daughter who is a 7th grader.

We are considering three different places - Laurinburg, Pinehurst, and Lumberton. As for the best place in conjunction with qualtiy eduction for my kid to live in, we are seeking valuable information. Would you help us with information about public & private schools and living condition of Laurinburg, Pinehurs, and Lumberton? Thank you a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,222 posts, read 13,977,359 times
of those 3 choices I'd pick pinehurst, it is more expensive but has more amenities and better schools, my second choice would be lumberton not as many amenities but a little more affordable, I'd also maybe think about Fayetteville.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 72,087 times
Fayetteville Resident...we have "choice schools" where you can opt to drive your child to and from your select school, as approved by the board of ed. There are year round, as well as traditional schools in Cumberland County. They have done a lot of (and continue to do) development to the Downtown Fayetteville Area, which hosts a number of cultural and other area festivities. Namely the annual Dogwood Festival, Cumberland County Arts Council, a children's museum, good restaurants and entertainment, and more. All of this, however, would be accessible from wherever you choose to live down here. If you are looking for an Agent, check with North Star Real Estate. They are very down to earth and knowledgeable about all of the above areas. (910) 486-4666 Ask for Earnest (Broker In Charge) Best Wishes!

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM

30 posts, read 112,070 times
My wife, kids, & I will be moving to Hope Mills on July 1st. She will be teaching 2nd grade in Lumberton but we did not like the thought of Living in Lumberton. We really liked Hope Mills a lot better as it's smaller more like what we're used to but yet seems to offer everything a family needs. I would highly recommend Hope Mills for living.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,169 times
I don't know if you are still reading this thread but....

gonzotg is right on about Laurinburg. The only additional thing I would add is that while the students from St. Andrews Presbyterian College may not dominate the town like Carolina/Chapel Hill or Wisconsin/Madison, you will find the faculty and staff lurking about.

During the academic year, classes help distract from the lack of things to do in Laurinburg but I still make it a point to visit friends/family in Research Triangle Park once a month. Having Duke, UNC-CH (Chapel Hill) and Raleigh within easy driving distance is a great opporuntuity to hit some good academic seminars.

I wondered if you golfed? In my recent (June 2007) house hunt, the development of DeerCroft popped up on the radar. It's about halfway between Southern Pines and Laurinburg. Several St. Andrews and UNC-P faculty live there. It was the one housing market I could see maintaining or improving is value in the forseeable future. (Note: I'm not a realtor nor get kickbacks. I finally decided to opt for ease-of-life and bought near the college in Laurinburg NC).

As per everyone else, no matter which city you choose, you will experience 'small-town' culture -shock. As a fan and former residence of big cities like Chciago, I know I did, havig been born and bred in NC.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 31,712 times
This thread is a little dated but perhaps I can help on several fronts.

I agree the Pinehurst, NC real estate market is in good shape so as far as investment concerns it has to be high on your list.

Fayetteville vs Pinehurst is tough because they represent totally different spectrum's of life. The Pinehurst - Southern Pines, NC area is known more for offering Golf & Resort style living and good schools but don't let that fool you because even though home appreciation has been good you can still find properties to fit nearly any budget and a lifestyle to go with it.

Fayetteville has cleaned up it's imagine in the past few years but is still primarily driven by Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base - and while Pope is soon to close Fort Bragg is scheduled to become the largest Army post in the U.S.

In fact the Pinehurst - Southern Pines area is already home for many Officers and Enlisted personnel that are trying to avoid raising their families in the stereotypical military town and since the area borders Fort Bragg Military Reservation on the West, it is a short drive to both Fort Bragg or Pope from here.

However UNCP would be a long ways to drive on a daily basis by today's standards, but at one point in my life I drove further then that so I could work in the Chicago area but have a safer place to raise my family in Northern Indiana.

Let me know if there is any information you need or if I can help out in any way.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-29-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Removed commercial web site URL per forum rules..

Old 07-25-2007, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 13,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotg View Post
The lowdown on Laurinburg...

Having moved here from OH (Cleveland /Akron area) 4 yrs ago I can tell you what to expect good, bad or otherwise in this area.

First, the schools. You will find that the area in general (not just Laurinburg) fares worse on standardized testing then your home area. Having moved from the midwest for my family this was this biggest hurdle. Another poster mentioned the ONeil school as a private school option there is also Marlboro
Academy which is just over the SC line as an alternate for private school. Please don't misinterpret, a good education is attainable through the public system here but dropout rates are high and SAT scores are low on AVG. (even for NC).

My wife finished here MBA at Pembroke commuting from LBG and it was very tollerable.

Housing costs are very low and although the tax rate is one of, if not the highest in the state it would be significantly less expensive to live in this area then in a burb of DC.

Laurinburg does have a very active youth soccer group occupying most of the local college's (St. Andrews) practice fields in the fall.

I have found the people to be nice and genuine in my experience.

Expect NO fine dining and gourmet grocery. You will have to go to pinehurst for that. Just don't go for the early bird specials as the median age of the populace is 50 something.

Living in the DC area you may be no stranger to a high crime rate. Laurinburg has a high rate for its size. I attribute most of this to the fact that it is an economically depressed community. Lots of drug arrests and violent crime although most comes out of "the bad side of the tracks"

In LBG you are:

30 -45 min from Fayetteville

2 - hours from Charlotte

1:45 - from Raleigh

2:30 -3:00 from Myrtle Beach

St. Andrews is a small private college with their highlight being the equestrian program. They are very close knit and have almost no presence in the community. Seeing a student around town is kind of a "where's Waldo" affair.

Shopping is anchored around the obligatory Uber Wal Mart and Lowes, but a couple strip malls exist with a Belk (Hudson's for you Yankees) Radio Shack and small shops.

Health care is adequate although not great and takes a back seat to Moore County in terms of available services and reputation.
3 hours to the beach??

Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,887 times
Default Moving to Lumberton

I too am moving to Lumberton next year. It will just be my husband and me and he works as truck driver so he'll be on the road alot. I'm not looking for a crazy night life...I just want to live in a quiet town. We need a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment. Could anyone suggest a nice apartment complex which is decently priced? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 25,702 times
Default Another considering the area

I will be heading down to Pembroke for an interview for a position at UNCP. From an affordability aspect (although VERY small town living) I think Laurinburg may be the most likely area. How tough is it to rent with dogs. Probably wouldn't be buying for the first year.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM

16 posts, read 72,087 times
You can check Craigslist, a local RE Agent, and the paper for rentals...the listings on craigslist let you know if pets are allowed, as should a real estate agent. craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events - then select the state and area - go under "real estate wanted" (or something like that) and when you select a listing to view, scroll to the bottom and they will have dogs and/or cats listed at the bottom left. I know here, not far away, we have an "Apartment Finder" magazine, you can find them in many stores...best bet is a grocery store. Best Wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina