U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-17-2007, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,416 times
Default Lumberton Issues

Is it really true that living in Lumberton is very dangerous? Some people say that you can't even go to a grocery store without feeling scared. I've accepted a job offer in Lumberton near the hospital. I'm looking into St. Pauls or Hope Mills for a good place to stay. Is Lumberton not a safe place even to just work there? I'd really appreciate any reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-01-2008, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,871 times
Did you get any reply? if you did could you share it with us?

Unread 03-03-2008, 01:07 PM

29 posts, read 51,347 times
Default Laurinburg

Hi there-

Just thought I'd put my two cents in since everyone else seems to be. I moved down to NC as a result of a new job back in September. Mind you, I'd spent all 23 years of my life living up North in MA and went to college in NH. Needless to say this was the biggest move of my life to date and I did it alone - all of my family and friends are still up North. I started out renting a room in Raeford - the job acceptance/offer came rather quickly and being unfamiliar with the area I just picked a place within 30 minutes of work. After I got my bearings I started house hunting - most of the people I work with live in Laurinburg, so I checked the area out along with Fayetteville, Raeford, and surrounding areas. I found a house that I loved in a nice neighborhood in Laurinburg. I moved in in January. It's been great - I couldn't ask for better neighbors - on move in day the neighbors were raking my yard since the house had been vacant for several months. That was so nice to see. I'd never expect that from my neighbors up North. Within the first week or so of moving in - all of the neighbors had come by to introduce themselves and ask if there was anything I needed. This was really nice especially since I was 800 miles from friends and family. It's the kind of place where people look out for one another.

Now, Laurinburg itself - sure it's no metropolis - but it has what you need. A Walmart - every fast food restaurant on the planet, an Italian restaurant, several grocery stores, gas stations, Belk and Lowes. The basics are covered. Sure if you want to do the mall experience you have to drive up to Fayetteville, but so what, it's 40 miles north on 401 - a straight shot and a nice drive. They're also building an Applebees and some other restaurants. The stuff about the Scotland Inn is true - but what town or city doesn't have a sketchy motel?? There are several other nice options - I stayed in the Holiday Inn when I flew in to interview and the service was great, the people were friendly I had no complaints. I have yet to see a cockroach anywhere - granted it's only been 6 months - but still. It is not infested by bugs!
The downtown area of Laurinburg is very quaint, large older buildings, but very charming. There are also several unique stores and shops. Again, no bugs seen down there either.
The only downside to the area is that there isn't much to do for the younger crowd - I say younger as I'm 24 and single - but I hear the same thing from the highschool kids I've spoken with. There is a movie theatre but it's old, and the floors are dirty - if the owners were willing to renovate it'd do a great business. There are enough people in town to support it. The bar (Champs) is not someplace I'd be comfortable walking into by myself. I haven't met many people my age either. But I bought a house and that's been keeping me busy.
Adjusting to the Southern way of life has been challenging, as it's like night and day from what I've grown up with, but it's nice. It's nice to walk down the street and have someone make eye contact and say hello, or goodmorning. It's nice to have neighbors who know you exsist and seem to care. The weather is amazing - they think 40 degrees is cold - that's like a New England spring! I love it.
All in all, I'm happy I made the move and I have come to embrace Laurinburg and feel at home here. As with everything, you shouldn't jump to conclusions or believe everything you read. Come spend a day or two and see what Laurinburg has to offer. It may not be your speed or it may be just right. )

Unread 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
Default Moving to Laurinburg

jlbour - I am 26 and single, moving to Laurinburg, and also plan to buy a house. I noticed you said it is slow for the younger crowd like ourselves. Have you found anyplace outside Laurinburg but not too far with a good night life? Do you ever run into the St Andrew's students? Not sure if they are the type to party with the townies!

Any advice on neighborhoods/realtors in the area?

Unread 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,372 times
Default Housing in Pembroke, NC

If you want to find a safe place to live in Pembroke, North Carolina, the area surrounding UNC-Pembroke campus will be good. Other places, especially in the downtown area is very dangerous. I heard from my colleague that, his apartment was broken in when he went out during a holiday season, and very valuable belongings were stolen. And the people in Pembroke told me that this kind of bad things have been existing for long time. I heard a story that in one week, three apartments in a small neighborhood area in Pembroke were broken in and the residents lost a lot of stuff.

There are some good places nearby, like Pinehurst, but you need to commute every day.

Unread 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,307 times
tax rate is high! That does NOT mean the taxes are higher necessarily! The reassessment of property has not been done in years

Unread 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,443 times
Arrow Lumberton, nc worst place for northerners

Oh my gosh! North carolina where do I start?

I was born here and my parents were from Ohio.

So of course I developed their accent.

I went through school with the torture of teachers calling me over, kids not picking me to play with them because I had a "weird accent"(my parents Ohio accent), girls running around calling everyone Bs and saying I said it, kids dissing teachers in high school, saying my dad was a yankee in front of me when I was 13, teachers constantly saying I was too fast in assignments when I was smart, my getting almost no help in school while teachers cuddle up to their "favorite" little "babies.",guys totally ignoring me for the fatter more ugly girls, me being in the cafeteria with a bunch of teachers talking to the kids and not me, Southern moms never talking to my mom, Girls talking about getting pregnant and wanting to murder their cousin, dozens of racial lumbees(I live in lumberton, nc), teachers never getting back to my replys on assignments, the list goes on and on..........

My teacher took me to the office two times for something another kid did. I told her they were jealous trying to get me into trouble and she stood up and said 'I" was lying! Her babies would never go behind her back. BUT THEY DID.

The churches are very snobby and will laugh not with you but at you.They are way too into traditionalism and we cannot find a church that does not sing southern music. I thought they were trying to reach the aliens not "one culture."

The way I see it is the parents raise their kids to straight up hate northerners. They become smart allecky , jealous, and hot headed. The southern hospitality is only seen unless you want to live there. Then people will start saying, " You think your all smart... bla bla bla bla." ITS CRAZY. You know what the funny thing is? Most of the time you dont say a word. If you smile or try to make friends in about 4 months they are gone. They swing in and out. A lady said from upstate new york that the cool thing about the north is once your friends your friends for life. In south its partial. I have met a few friendly people... but there's always a pause between friendship and 'what am I going to get from this?" Some ratial teacher talked about northerners in my class and told the students to not wear bright colored clothes like in the north, and to wear closed in shoes.' She also said that smart people from north are taking jobs others are fighting to get. Thats a bunch of bunk.

Lumbee indians and african americans shouting and cat fighting in the street. And yes its true..... they talk about how their cousin had ***8 with them on saturday. They also talk about being preachers daughter and doing this. Its gross.

To be fair I have one friend who is lumbee. She is moral, christian, and very nice.

Southerners get a grip. If you came to the north I'm sure you'd find plenty of people who are friendly. My moms mom was southern and the people just adored her and her unique accent.

So yeah its been torture... I have to tell you growing up here has been like hell. I have not had one genuine friend. I'm outgoing smart, and friendly. Girls just gave me a weird look and asked "are you from the north?" I have literally dozens at the college table surrounding me which isnt bad, but they are because I'm an alien! What the heck? People never do that in Ohio where my relatives are from. I might consider moving to boone or amish country when I get my degree. But I need money first.

As for now wish me good prayers my fellow people.

Unread 08-16-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,443 times
Oh and may I mention that they talk about fresh manure almost all the time? Raised by northern parents I never was taught to hate or act a certain way. I was free to be myself.

Unread 08-16-2011, 05:28 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,507,083 times
^ Wow, what was that all about???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina