U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 PM

842 posts, read 2,218,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
You only have to use turn signals if your movement could potentially effect another vehicle. If someone is behind you or in close proximity to you then you need to signal. If their is no one near you or they are more than 4 or 5 car lengths away from you then you don't have to signal. Of course their is a large gray area.... Like if someone is far away from you but coming up fast, etc.... You just have to use common sense and use your signals when your movement effects other vehicles....

If you're in a lane where all you can do is turn left or right you don't have to have your signal on... A lot of people keep their signals on in lanes like these and you don't have to...
Fascinating. I wonder what else I do that I don't have to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 PM

574 posts, read 786,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
What about the advanced manouvre of right turn straight into the left lane - whats that all about??
Sorry to be sexist, but I've never seen a man do this. This phenomena seems to be the domain of women driving vans or SUV's. The secret is....no one has told them they are not at the helm of an 18 wheeler. The scary part is when you can see the whites of their eyes as they are turning into the lane you are presently occupying and all you can do is silently chant, "please don't hit me" over and over.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 14,824,922 times
I don't know...I just returned home from a concert tonight and I'm glad I made it home ALIVE. My friend is the scariest person I have ever been in a vehicle with. My stomach was inside out by the time we got there. Somehow she realized we were in the wrong lane to exit for the show, cut across three lanes of traffic on I-440 at 70 MPH and somehow wedged herself between two cars moving at maybe 5 MPH on the exit ramp. No turn signal. YIKES.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 AM

671 posts, read 1,747,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't know...I just returned home from a concert tonight and I'm glad I made it home ALIVE. My friend is the scariest person I have ever been in a vehicle with. My stomach was inside out by the time we got there. Somehow she realized we were in the wrong lane to exit for the show, cut across three lanes of traffic on I-440 at 70 MPH and somehow wedged herself between two cars moving at maybe 5 MPH on the exit ramp. No turn signal. YIKES.
That is another good manouvre. people who realize that they need to exit suddenly. I've had them stop dead in front of me, even in the fast lane, then put a turn signal on, or turn right in front of me from the left lane without a signal or any other indication. When I learned to drive you were directed to proceed to the next exit and back track if you missed your turn.
It seems that everyone nowadays is too important to put another 10 minutes on their journey.
Oh - just thought of seeing people exiting exit ramps at the last moment or missing exit ramps and driving over the grass verges to exit. One guy I saw do this actually drove @200 yds over the grass to re enter the exit ramp.

I must say I did see this also in NY on the BQE where 4 lanes of head to tail traffic was moving at 70 mph as one entity. A van driver saw the exit ramp ahead was jammed up and drove off the road at that speed , took off into the air, landed on the grass and continued over to a road parallel to the highway we were on. I thought they were filming an episode of the 'A' Team!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM

217 posts, read 583,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Sorry to be sexist, but I've never seen a man do this. This phenomena seems to be the domain of women driving vans or SUV's. The secret is....no one has told them they are not at the helm of an 18 wheeler. The scary part is when you can see the whites of their eyes as they are turning into the lane you are presently occupying and all you can do is silently chant, "please don't hit me" over and over.

Oh I beg to differ....my Husband does this! I (according to him) am a walking driver's guide. I have to remind him all the time...lol.. Also about how far before the turn you are supposed to signal.

Also, my husband uses his turn signal as he is turning...he will turn the wheel and then flip the turn signal as his hand passes it (don't know if anyone understands what I am saying...but that is normal..lol) That really drives me crazy....why even turn it on...by then the person knows you are turning or changing lanes because your car is already moving!! A turn signal is to notify drivers or your INTENT to turn or change lanes...that means you have to turn it on FIRST. Or changing lanes in an intersection! That is another one that gets me....most intersections are not that big....you can't WAIT and change lanes when you are thru??

Oh the list goes on and on! My husband and I have a bet going on as to who is going to do better on the driving test (ME!!!!)

Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM

2,082 posts, read 5,150,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Oh I beg to differ....my Husband does this! I (according to him) am a walking driver's guide. I have to remind him all the time...lol.. Also about how far before the turn you are supposed to signal.

Also, my husband uses his turn signal as he is turning...he will turn the wheel and then flip the turn signal as his hand passes it (don't know if anyone understands what I am saying...but that is normal..lol) That really drives me crazy....why even turn it on...by then the person knows you are turning or changing lanes because your car is already moving!! A turn signal is to notify drivers or your INTENT to turn or change lanes...that means you have to turn it on FIRST. Or changing lanes in an intersection! That is another one that gets me....most intersections are not that big....you can't WAIT and change lanes when you are thru??

Oh the list goes on and on! My husband and I have a bet going on as to who is going to do better on the driving test (ME!!!!)
LOL, your post sounds like I was typing it. My boyfriend seems to have picked up the same turn signal habit as your husband after living in Miami (which was just awarded the distinction of being #1 in the nation for road rage for the second consecutive year) for 2 years too long. He complained a lot about drivers down there, but now he still does the signal-on-as-you-turn thing here. It drives me nuts! I don't think he does it on purpose though - in FL, if you turn on your signal before you change lanes people will speed up to not let you in. So I guess turning it on at the last minute was his defense mechanism.

I use mine all the time when I am preparing to change direction or lanes - I would rather let other people know what I'm doing so that if they hit me, at least I was doing what I am supposed to do!

And as far as turning into the wrong lane, I see this happen every day, and it definitely spans across gender, age, and shape and size of vehicle. I think I have seen just one person in the past few days turn into the lane they were supposed to turn into. I think some people do it based on what lane the closest oncoming traffic is in to avoid pulling out in front of someone without enough time to accelerate. Honestly, I'd rather they do this than pull out into the proper lane in front of me without enough time to speed up, causing me to slam on my brakes (which which was the rule rather than the exception where I used to live).

Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM

776 posts, read 964,946 times
Sometimes I don't use directionals when I'm busy text messaging, playing with my ipod, shaving, reading the paper, or opening a(nother) beer.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 PM

567 posts, read 1,534,416 times
Something I am glad that the Southerners don't (usually) do -

Is believe a left turn at an intersection has the "right of way." I've seen this in New England all the time. People even call it the "Rhode Island Slide" because it is so common there.

Talk about causing an accident!

This is especially true at 4-way intersections where there is no turning lane and no left turn arrow. People who are taking a left will pull out immediately when the light turns green, in front of those who are going straight in the opposite direction. Crazy!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,302,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
Something I am glad that the Southerners don't (usually) do -

Is believe a left turn at an intersection has the "right of way." I've seen this in New England all the time. People even call it the "Rhode Island Slide" because it is so common there.

Talk about causing an accident!

This is especially true at 4-way intersections where there is no turning lane and no left turn arrow. People who are taking a left will pull out immediately when the light turns green, in front of those who are going straight in the opposite direction. Crazy!
I wonder if the "Rhode Island Slide" is related to the "New Jersey Rolling Stop" commonly seen at stop signs around the state?

Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 PM

567 posts, read 1,534,416 times
I'm not sure!

To stay on topic, I see that there are names for several of these traffic offenses. So, what should one call the lack of turn signal use?

hypoblinkerism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina