U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM

223 posts, read 977,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
-One of the hottest/most humid areas of the state.
-No colleges nearby.
-Average age significantly above state average.

I have to differ with the first 2 statements:

- the temperature between the So. Pines/Pinehurst area and Raleigh rarely varies more than 2-4 degrees. So if it's hot/humid in the Sandhills, it's hot/humid in the Triangle as well, believe me.(I've lived here 20 years, travel frequently to all those areas, and watch the weather report daily).

- Sandhills Community College is in Southern Pines. While not a major university, it's campus is as large as some private colleges and offers a variety of programs and continuing education classes for the community.

As far as the age variance. Yes, there are a lot of retirees, but the area is growing and many younger folks are discovering its charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM

648 posts, read 2,738,912 times
Southern Pines mean high temperature: 73.2 (http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?nc8089 - broken link)
Raleigh-Durham mean high temperature: 70.6 (http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?nc7069 - broken link)

So the average day in Southern Pines is about 3į higher than RDU airport. There are hotter places (Goldsboro and Whiteville are examples), but I see that as a negative for Moore county.

I was not aware of Sandhills Community College. For those who would prefer to be near a four-year institution, that would be a drawback of Pinehurst/Southern Pines. UNC-Pembroke is the closest, at almost 40 miles away.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

123 posts, read 461,777 times
Michael,
Google Mclendon Hills. An equestrian developement. Should be right up your alley. Pricey, for this part of NC. There are other equestrian areas in the county, small ranches, large ranches with mansions.
I live in a small middle class developement. 77 homes and two ponds. No golf course. Some retirees, but most homeowners work. Prices run from $130K to over $300K. 3/4 acre and larger lots. My taxes are @$800 per year-total. I don't have to lock my car, my doors, or worry about taking a walk. No farm animals or trailers allowed. We have a HOA that charges $150 per year. No junk cars. Lawns and properties are well tended. Children in the neighborhood. I have 2 granddaughters that live across the street. 3br/2ba, 2 car garage, central heat and air, paved driveway, fenced in dog pen, and over 3/4 acres. I gave 1 grandaughter riding lessons at Mclendon Hills.
Think I could do this in Harrison?
Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Steak houses, German, Italian, restaurants are within 10 minutes. More upscale restaurants serving "haute cuisine" also here. I am not a gourmet. The Fresh Market is a gourmet market. I DO shop there.
The summers are long. Heat is the same as NY in July/August. No better, no worse. Hot and humid. My "Con-Ed" bill during summer (in an all electric home of @1500sq ft.) runs between $120 and $140.
It's @11/12 hour drive to here from NY. You're obviously curious. Why not just bite the bullet and take a trip. Who knows? You might even enjoy yourself and see that NY is not the be all and end all.
havin fun

Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM

648 posts, read 2,738,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havin fun View Post
The summers are long. Heat is the same as NY in July/August. No better, no worse. Hot and humid.
Not true. Normal July high in Southern Pines is 89.6į. LaGuardia is only 84.4. That's more than a five degree difference EVERY DAY of July. While it's true the winters are much warmer in NC, The sandhill summers are hot & sticky.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM

823 posts, read 3,610,753 times
I agree about the heat there. It's a bit much for me. On the other hand, Southern Pines was developed as a winter resort before they had air conditioning and I think it was a success. I think the fact that that area started as a winter resort back in the 1920's adds to the charm of the town. Some of the horse farms in the area could have easily been from that era. Downtown Southern Pines is compact and is served by a rail station. I rode the Amtrak several times from NYC in the 1970's to visit my grandparents who retired there. The last time that I was in S.P., there was still a book shop there. Also there is a very nice town public library. Most public libraries in N.C. are run at the county level. This one just serves the town and it is very nice, including the children's room. Sandhills Community College is nicer than your typical community college. For instance there is ~25 acre botanical garden that is very nice. Many retirees love gardens and have donated generously to it. There are also a fair number of concerts there and classes of interest to the typical community college student and also many that appeal to retirees.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 107,450 times
Havin Fun - Let me first address the issue of being the type that thinks "NY is the be all and end all." We don't think that, but thanks for stereotyping....

We definitely plan on coming down to take a look at the area this summer. Last year we looked into Knoxville (mostly west Knoxville/Farragut), Asheville, and the Chapel Hill/Durham area. I wish we had known about the Pinehurst area then but we completely overlooked it. It sounds like a great community and something we would enjoy immensely.

Funny, you already answered my next round of questions to the tee which were going to be about comparing the humid NY summers to the humid NC summers, asking about fresh markets on the weekends and other similar happenings, and the different type of dining options that would be available.

Golf and Equestrian communities tend to be on the aesthetically pleasing side which is always a plus.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM

123 posts, read 461,777 times
My apologies. And the "fresh market" is a chain of stores that are "high end". But there are "farmers markets" and fruit and vegetable stands close by.
Hot Summers: I'm fair skinned (I used to be a redhead, but whats left is gray) and I could not stand the sun in NY. Here, maybe because I'm older, I can tolerate the heat and the humidity seems a lot less troublesome than I remember in NY. On a class trip to Jones Beach I got second degree burns while wearing a tee-shirt all day.
Good plan, coming in the summer! You'll get to see what I consider Moore County's least desireable feature. Which I personally, do not find bad at all.
havin fun

Old 06-22-2007, 01:01 PM

857 posts, read 4,475,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havin fun View Post
!

I came down here in 92. I recently retired. I'm originally from Harrison, NY, a wealthy suburb north of NYC. I go back North only when I have to. The negatives for this area are few. Complaints about government, traffic, the neighbors, white bread, the slowness, just about what you'd hear anywhere in the world. It's too hot! It's too cold! So much rain. Not enough rain. I miss snow on Christmas. Wah! Wah! Wah!
I moved to the Atlanta area from White Plains, NY many years ago. I married a man from NC and we are now trying to decide where we will retire. This Pinehurst area sounds pretty nice. Have you (havin fun) found it accepting of "yankees"? And, have you found an interesting and diverse mix of people?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 PM

28 posts, read 133,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK23 View Post
I have done research on this site on the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. From what I understand they both have quaint downtown sections with good dining and decent shopping. From what I have seen housing is not expensive. I am looking then to hear negatives about the area as I have not heard many. Schools are not an issue. I have heard that it might be too "golf-oriented" but I am not sure how that would negatively impact an area. Your opinions on my findings so far would be appreciated as well as negatives you can offer.

Thanks
The only issue with golf has to do with the sale and resale of properties and the associated golf memberships that can be bought and sold with them. As a rough example, if you buy in a course sub in Pinehurst you may or may not be able to transfer the membership based on the condition of the previous owner or if new build. When I was looking here that was $12K. My concern was that I wasnít retiring and would never get this out but would it impact the value of the property going foreword if I didnít cough it up? This was only a Pinehurst membership issue I donít know if that holds true for the other dozen courses in the immediate area.

Other downsidesÖ Town is old, median age is 50 something but if you donít care about schools this is likely your demographic.

60 min from airport in Raleigh, but now 4 lane the whole way so an easy drive.

Tourists canít figure out the traffic circle in town

Golf carts have the right of way on certain hiways

If you donít like golf most area recreation revolves around this. There are also horses and equestrian if your into that.

Fort Bragg is supposedly absorbing more from other bases that may increase housing costs in the Southern Pines area.

If you live in Pinehurst the town is very particular about its zoning. A co-worker lives there and tried to install a fence with a great deal of headache. This is good or bad depending on your point of view.

Itís a retirement town and if thatís what your looking for there are is a lot to offer.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 31,761 times
I guess I'm not impartial because I own a real estate company located in Pinehurst, but being a Realtor I do focus on finding out everything that has been bantered about here.

The facts are that the Pinehurst area does have a higher average age - heck there is no use to argue the point just look at the data supplied by our host.

Fort Bragg just to the east is expected to spend another 6 billion in the next few years in making the Fort Bragg the largest Army Post in the U.S. . That is a good thing all the way around - it adds a more stable base to the areas economy and the Pinehurst Southern Pines area has always had Officers and Enlisted personnel living here seeking a better life for their families then what Fayetteville had to offer.

If you need more information on anything in the area let me know, then just make the trip.

Have you noticed that you seldom if ever see or hear anything negative about the Pinehurst area form someone that actually lives here?

Come on down - we'll save you a place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or