U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 32,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK23 View Post
I have done research on this site on the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. From what I understand they both have quaint downtown sections with good dining and decent shopping. From what I have seen housing is not expensive. I am looking then to hear negatives about the area as I have not heard many. Schools are not an issue. I have heard that it might be too "golf-oriented" but I am not sure how that would negatively impact an area. Your opinions on my findings so far would be appreciated as well as negatives you can offer.

Thanks
We visited there this week, we are palnning to relocate there from Virginia this month (when we are able to find a farm to lease) The area is beautiful! The people are wonderful...it is great! Except.......ANTS!!! Lots of them, fire ants....bitting black ants!! The whole area is in sand.....a dirt road is sand....ants love sand! This is the only negative I found....if you can deal with ants, you have no problem...lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM

359 posts, read 1,699,026 times
Since there is so much vactioning there, is it safe to assume that one can easily get high speed internet in any of the surrounding neighborhoods?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,144 times
I just moved here from NY and I love the area. I don't miss malls and I do like the small stores. I love all the people that I have met so far. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. My only compliant is the lack of Italian grocery stores because I love to cook.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 PM

186 posts, read 197,123 times
Default Havin Fun

Thanks for taking me down memory lane in Westchester County area where my relatives lived....I'm currently a transplant from Brooklyn, NY; lived 35 years in Annapolis, MD area and currently living in Wilmington, NC the past 2 years. We're now looking to move to Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. The only thing that would make it perfect there is if someone could open up a decent bagel/deli shop...then we wouldn't be missing NY!!! My husband and I have visited Pinehurst area 3 times and have grown to love the area (we're not golfers). We're putting our house up for sale in January and hope to move to Pinehurst area this coming spring or summer.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 AM

123 posts, read 461,754 times
Good News Sharon! The NY Deli (in Olmstead Village) has NY Bagels, NY rolls, and NY Kaisers. The entire store is NY. Accents of workers, owners, etc. Good assortment of Bagels, but you have to get there early in the AM. They make sandwiches too-hot and cold. They (the owners of NY Deli) opened up an Italian restaurant right next door.
PS: The bagels are worth the trip.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,624 times
Talking Not true

While no one will read me, there are colleges in Southern Pines. Sandhills Community College is there and there is a satellite campus of UNC-Pembroke with graduate courses in education.

Southern Pines has an excellent independently owned bookstore.

Moving to Pinehurst this summer.

Tommy in NYC

Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havin fun View Post
Good News Sharon! The NY Deli (in Olmstead Village) has NY Bagels, NY rolls, and NY Kaisers. The entire store is NY. Accents of workers, owners, etc. Good assortment of Bagels, but you have to get there early in the AM. They make sandwiches too-hot and cold. They (the owners of NY Deli) opened up an Italian restaurant right next door.
PS: The bagels are worth the trip.
Thanks for your tip...will stop by the NY Deli tomorrow morning as I head out there to meet with broker. I've put my house up on the market in Wilmington area and ready to find our house in Pinehurst. Watch for my comments on the NY Deli

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM

No sawdust on the floors but they still make a good sandwich. Try the pastries! Small cannoli are good, but expensive.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 AM

NY Deli not bad....but not quite like NY!! Nothing is ever gonna be like NY especially the bialey and you cannot even get that any where but NY!! Skipped the desert (the cannoli...yikes, those calories). Didn't find a house I liked, yet. May have to rent a place there for while if we sell our house first. What's your take on areas like Foxfire, Southern Pines, Seven Lakes, Whispering Pines, Taylortown and West End. My preference is to be near the village of Pinehurst but cannot afford the homes there...too pricey (many way over 300's) but like the feel of the area...like some small town with city feel as you mentioned in Westchester county (Chappaqua (sp?)..etc). Appreciate your comments.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Foxfire, Seven Lakes and Whispering Pines are all a good trip (15 minutes) from Pinehurst. Food Lion is the closest shopping (5 minutes). All are nice neighborhood communites. All are safe and middle class. Prices are less than Pinehurst.
West End? There is no West End. West End is a Post Office that serves parts of Carthage, Pinehurst, Taylortown, Seven Lakes, Eastwood, etc.
Taylortown is across the street from Pinehurst. I live in Taylortown and my mail is delivered by West End. My developement has 2 ponds, 77 homes, and is a neighborhood of mixed retirees and young families. Prices range from 120K to 300K. All are on at least 3/4 acre lots. I'm 2 miles west of Olmstead Village (NY Deli). Since you've been to visit you should have a good idea of where we are (how near and far from shopping).
Southern Pines is your Katonah. Scarsdale. Harrison. Homes are moderately priced (for this area) and are very nice. You would like Southern Pines. Railroad runs right thru the middle of town but is shrouded by giant old magnolias. A more relaxed town than Pinehurst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or