Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM

15 posts, read 119,244 times

Advertisements

I have done research on this site on the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. From what I understand they both have quaint downtown sections with good dining and decent shopping. From what I have seen housing is not expensive. I am looking then to hear negatives about the area as I have not heard many. Schools are not an issue. I have heard that it might be too "golf-oriented" but I am not sure how that would negatively impact an area. Your opinions on my findings so far would be appreciated as well as negatives you can offer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,435 times
To be honest I can't really think of any big negatives. A couple of things that might be an issue:
1) If you need to be near a larger airport, it's a 90 minute drive to RDU in Raleigh. So.Pines has a small airport that currently has commuter jet service daily to Atlanta only.
2) There are a lot of retirees in the area. It is certainly not exclusively a retirement community anymore at all, but for some that may be a concern.

Other than the above, I truly can't imagine why anyone would not be happy living there. (Oh, unless you can't live without a Trader Joe and a big mall...not to worry though, word has it that Target is coming there very soon). Seriously, while the area is famous for its golf courses, plenty of non golfers live there as well. There is regional theatre, community orchestra and chorus, art groups, street fairs, and more.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:57 AM

123 posts, read 511,581 times
Negatives for Southern Pines, Aberdeen and Pinehurst?
Unemployment: Way too low. Help wanted signs posted even posted in some stores. Way too many people actually employed.
Trash: Having to see County prisoners actually picking up trash along the roads is "unsightly". How dare they make prisoners actually do something useful?
Golf Courses: Having 43 in one county trying to attract 80,000 residents. With all this competition, do you realize how hard it is to pick a golf course to play on? And Visitors? People on vacation are always in foul moods after spending time doing exactly what they want.
Zoning: You can't simply plunk down your trailer in a nice neighborhood!

I came down here in 92. I recently retired. I'm originally from Harrison, NY, a wealthy suburb north of NYC. I go back North only when I have to. The negatives for this area are few. Complaints about government, traffic, the neighbors, white bread, the slowness, just about what you'd hear anywhere in the world. It's too hot! It's too cold! So much rain. Not enough rain. I miss snow on Christmas. Wah! Wah! Wah!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
The only "negative" I can personally come up with is it can get pretty hot/humid in the summers. But, as the above posters have said, if you're looking for a really nice, all-american small town, the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area is pretty awesome.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM

77 posts, read 272,017 times
Just visited that area with my family last weekend. Great area, has pretty much everything you would want, clean, low crime, very little traffic, great hospital system, has decent shopping, many restaurants and a large span of housing options in almost any price range.

There are TONS of golf courses, but I can't see how that would really be a negative except for the extra traffic during one of the larger events. I don't golf, but in my experience, golfers do not tend to be among the dregs of society. I was surprised to see how much of an equestrian presence there is in the area. I have a feeling that in a few years, the numbers in the equestrian community will be catching up to the golfers. Horse farms and golf courses... you could do much worse for neighbors.

Only real negative, I could find would be if you have to commute into Raleigh for work, I would think it would take at least an hour each way.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:22 PM

15 posts, read 119,244 times
Havin Fun -My family is about 45 miles north of your old locale in NY

I don't mind the absence of Target's or Walmart's as we don't shop in the big box stores and are very anti-chain. The only chain we frequent would be Barnes and Noble, is there one in the area? We like to dine out often so we need a lot of good dining options. The only real negative I have seen is not being close to a major airport since we do quite a bit of traveling. We are not golfers, but I agree with the above statement that "golfers do not tend to be among the dregs of society" haha , but we love equestrian communities, horse farms, and that atmosphere in general so that is welcomed.

Are there any run-down areas? trailer park areas? Is there a walkable main street with shops and restaurants or a tiny downtown section? Are there seasons? Is there life to the area?

Thank you for all your responses thus far.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 PM

123 posts, read 511,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK23 View Post
Havin Fun -My family is about 45 miles north of your old locale in NY

I don't mind the absence of Target's or Walmart's as we don't shop in the big box stores and are very anti-chain. The only chain we frequent would be Barnes and Noble, is there one in the area? We like to dine out often so we need a lot of good dining options. The only real negative I have seen is not being close to a major airport since we do quite a bit of traveling. We are not golfers, but I agree with the above statement that "golfers do not tend to be among the dregs of society" haha , but we love equestrian communities, horse farms, and that atmosphere in general so that is welcomed.

Are there any run-down areas? trailer park areas? Is there a walkable main street with shops and restaurants or a tiny downtown section? Are there seasons? Is there life to the area?

Thank you for all your responses thus far.
Michael, sorry to report, we have a Super-Walmart. There is a Barnes and Noble over in Fayetteville. The best we can do is Walden Books. Since you're 45 miles north of Harrison, you'd have an additional 15 minute ride to RDU rather than flying out of White Plains or Stewart. That should take care of your traveling concern.
Are there run down areas? Yep! Trailer parks? Yep! Same as in Westchester, Putnam, and yes-even in Greenwich.
Southern Pines downtown is full of restaurants, shops, bistros, inns, etc. A railroad divides the "main" street. I would compare it to downtown Chappaqua, only safer. Pinehurst downtown would be a small Greenwich, only a whole lot safer.
We get our 4 seasons. A long spring, a long summer, a long fall, and 2 months of winter.
Is there life? Life is what you make it. You can enjoy it, or gripe about it.
Hope this helps, cause I'm
havin fun

Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 AM

129 posts, read 566,086 times
Only 2 things I can come up with:
1-if you don't like to golf...all the conversation in that area will most likely be about golf.
2-if you don't like pine trees or pine needles, that is a high percentage of what your yard will have.

Otherwise a great settled community with tourist coming to golf.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havin fun View Post
Michael, sorry to report, we have a Super-Walmart. There is a Barnes and Noble over in Fayetteville. The best we can do is Walden Books. Since you're 45 miles north of Harrison, you'd have an additional 15 minute ride to RDU rather than flying out of White Plains or Stewart. That should take care of your traveling concern.
Are there run down areas? Yep! Trailer parks? Yep! Same as in Westchester, Putnam, and yes-even in Greenwich.
Southern Pines downtown is full of restaurants, shops, bistros, inns, etc. A railroad divides the "main" street. I would compare it to downtown Chappaqua, only safer. Pinehurst downtown would be a small Greenwich, only a whole lot safer.
We get our 4 seasons. A long spring, a long summer, a long fall, and 2 months of winter.
Is there life? Life is what you make it. You can enjoy it, or gripe about it.
Hope this helps, cause I'm
havin fun
Excellent description

Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
-One of the hottest/most humid areas of the state.
-No colleges nearby.
-Average age significantly above state average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina