U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 PM

739 posts, read 2,485,717 times

Advertisements

I know NC has no tolls but the other states do. I'm sure I'll be traveling from NC back to NJ for visits. Is there an Ez pass anyway? Do I have to give up my NJ ez pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 PM

82 posts, read 274,993 times
There is no EZ Pass in NC, but I would recommend keeping yours if you'll be occasionally returning to NJ.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 AM

9,074 posts, read 18,625,683 times
Just keep the NJ ezpass. You can update your EZ pass account with your new NC address and Lic Plate #. I moved to NC two years ago and still use my EZ pass when I drive up I-95 to NJ. Never had a problem.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:01 PM

770 posts, read 2,623,916 times
Ya EZpass doesn't really go by states, that is only for when you are using it for discounts on local travels. You just update your address, lic plate number and bank account so that they can get their money and in case someone steals your ezpass they can check the plates.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,294,612 times
NC doesn't have EZ pass. However, when we moved from NJ we kept our EZ Pass accounts and simply updated the addresses. This way whenever we drive up through Virginia and further north we can use it. I think EZ pass only goes to Northern Virginia and then stops. In any case, it's $1 a month to keep the EZ Pass account, but we don't use it to save money so much as save TIME going through the northern tolls.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM

136 posts, read 566,675 times
Keep yours just update the license plate and billing address. That's what we did. Make sure you update the license plates and it should be no problem.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 36,936 times
Default Any E-ZPass Anywhere

There is no North Carolina EZPass. You can keep your existing NJ EZpass, just update your address and plate online. You can get/keep a tag from any EZPass agency and use it on any EZPass toll road, bridge or tunnel.

For anyone that doesn't already have EZPass, you should order it from a state/toll authority that dosen't charge up-front for the tag, and dosen't have a monthly service fee. Some good choices are: The Maryland DOT, The Delaware River and Bay Authority (they control the Delaware Memorial Bridge), or The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission.

The only reason to order your E-ZPass from your "home" agency is to benifit from discounts offered by that agency for frequent use of its facilities.

Last edited by daveyb7676; 09-26-2007 at 10:48 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM

739 posts, read 2,485,717 times
Excellent. I was afraid to tell them I moved out of state for fear they would snatch back their ez-pass. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,620,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Excellent. I was afraid to tell them I moved out of state for fear they would snatch back their ez-pass. Thanks.
I just got a letter from Virginia that my Smart Tag/Easy Pass was deactivated. I still have $35 bucks on there. I guess I should just mail mine and my wife's back in and get our money back?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 36,936 times
Default Virginia is Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I just got a letter from Virginia that my Smart Tag/Easy Pass was deactivated. I still have $35 bucks on there. I guess I should just mail mine and my wife's back in and get our money back?
The Virginia DOT is strange among the agencies on the E-ZPass network in that they don't want non-residents to have Virgina transponders. I don't know why they do this. It was my understanding that under E-ZPass policy, member agencies were not supposed to put residency restrictions on their programs. If I were you I would mail the transponders back to VDOT and ask them to refund whatever is left in the account.

If you still want to have E-ZPass for your cars, just open a new account with the Maryland DOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina