Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:03 AM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times

Advertisements

We are not talking about excessive speeds! We are talking about people sitting in the left lane and not getting over after they pass a vehicle. You are to use the left lane to pass the vehicle in front of you, if you feel they are not going the speed you would like to go. Doesnt matter if you are speeding or not. And some of you post on here, come on now, do not act like you never ever speed. If the speed limit is 65 mph, most people go 70 mph, except for those people I am speaking of in the left lane not passing ANYONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:16 AM

73 posts, read 82,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
We are not talking about excessive speeds!
In fact we are talking about excessive speed. The "rats & stoolpidgens" comment to which I was responding was about reporting speeders by dialing *HP. I am in complete agreement with you about passing the the left hand lane. If you are not actively passing then move to the right.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
We are not talking about excessive speeds! We are talking about people sitting in the left lane and not getting over after they pass a vehicle. You are to use the left lane to pass the vehicle in front of you, if you feel they are not going the speed you would like to go. Doesnt matter if you are speeding or not. And some of you post on here, come on now, do not act like you never ever speed. If the speed limit is 65 mph, most people go 70 mph, except for those people I am speaking of in the left lane not passing ANYONE!
I am guilty as charged.....guilty of speeding....sometimes
(I could come up with plenty of "fancy excuses" like "going with the flow of traffic and such"...)
I do, however, strictly pass on the left, and move immediately over to the right. Funny, that people sandbag in the left and right, but, when you pass them, they speed up, trying to prevent from going back into the right lane, until they hit the back of another vehicle...guess trying to "hard" to be idiots?????

Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Iredell county has a really cooooool black camaro! I have a ball when I drive the state car to meetings - it is a dark blue Crown Victoria. Amazing how many of y'all don't act the fool when what seems to be an unmarked car (me ) is in the travel (right) lane.
See, we can't go over the posted speed limit while in the state car..... Y'all be SAFE out there.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 48,223 times
I'm from Jersey, and I've never gotten fined for doing the speed limit in the left lane. Most times, it is inevitable that you have to be in the left lane for a moment before having the chance to change lanes. People zooming up behind me and flashing their lights, etc. to try and make me move just upsets me, and does not motivate me to move; quite the contrary. People up here even do that in the right lane. It's probably the fact that most people here in NJ are simply impatient. I can't wait to move to a place where people aren't so pushy...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:14 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I got into a discussion with one of my friends about my trip to NC a few weeks ago. I had this lady in the left lane along that aweful boring road of 85, you know the part from the Virginia border to the Durham area? I had a lady sitting in the left lane, taking her time and not getting over, I waited 5 minutes for her to pass the old lady in the left lane. While traffic was piling up behind me, angry at me thinking I was the one holding traffic up because I have an SUV and they could not see this little RAv4 in front of me. After waiting for 5 MINUTES, I gave her the headlights, flickered them real quick, like ok time to pass and get over. She got over, then sped up flipping me off, trying to race me, run me off the road, I couldn't understand. I waited, I gave her a flicker after several minutes, that was all. I even waved when I went by her, like to thank her for getting over. It was so bad my husband finally had to take his badge and show it to her, to make her calm down (and he never does that). My friend said that southerners do not like to get the headlights, they think it is rude. Well I think it is rude to sit in the left lane and not let someone by after 5 minutes of trying to "pass" the car in the right lane.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
the SC Highway Patrol has a fleet of 3-series BMW's
They had BMW's abt. 6yrs ago as well. I think its because of the BMW plant in SC.
I especially love the Mustang State Trooper cars. You don't realize until they fly by you & you see State Trooper along the side.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
This doesn't involve the left lane/right lane, but I have a general traffic question - Why do people ride your tail so closely? And I'm not talking about a situation where you're hogging the left lane, I just mean anytime in general.

This is something that is completely beyond me. I've always thought it was a "Yankee thing", but then there are transplants that say they think it is a southern thing.. so I'm really not sure. But one way or another, why do people do it? I'm a fast driver, and I don't get road rage very easily. But if I look in my rearview and I can't even see someone's headlights, I get pretty P.O'ed. Do people not understand that this is rude, dangerous, and it slows down traffic?

Some people will slam on their brakes when this happens to them. I'm too concerned about my personal safety to employ this tactic, but I may have to resort to more drastic measures. Some other popular, and effective tactics:

- If you have rear-window washer fluid, disconnect the hose and point it at the car behind you. For bonus points, fill it with some questionable liquid.

- Ease off onto the shoulder. If you have off-road tires (I used to), it will throw rocks and gravel up onto their car. In the right truck, this works every time.

- Slow down to about 20 mph below the speed limit. This works on 2-lane roads. This backfired on me, when I was a teenager. Some lunatic tried to pass me, and got into a head-on collision with another car.

- Hook up one of those LED scrolling-text displays in your rear window, and tell the guy behind you what's on your mind.

any other ideas?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM

55 posts, read 159,150 times
Quote:
...My friend said that southerners do not like to get the headlights, they think it is rude. Well I think it is rude to sit in the left lane and not let someone by after 5 minutes of trying to "pass" the car in the right lane.
Yes, many of us Southerners not only think it is rude, but aggressive, intimidating, and makes you wonder if the person is acting out of road rage - no matter what the intentions may be. We also assume the drive must be from NY/NJ or FL.

I understand the whole left lane thing, really. It's the aggressiveness that I do not. One thing I am concerned about in moving back is people driving like they are on the turnpike. I hope that is not the case.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM

170 posts, read 566,209 times
I have to say, we moved here from Seattle (yes, horrible traffic! ) 8 mo. ago, so I have dealt with some serious traffic issues. But I have never encountered SO MUCH tailgating as I have here! What is up with that?!! I mean, when I can't even see part of the car behind me because they are so close, is just ridiculous! And I don't drive slow by any means. It's not just on the highways, either, they do it here on the backroads just as much, if not more. I've decided when they do it (which is almost everyday), I now lower it to the speed limit, if not a few miles under. I don't know what else to do. Sorry about the rant, it just gets me so mad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina