Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
This is true, there's a 20:1 men to women ratio which means any and all ladies can pretty much pick and choose.
Gee.. nothing like a little exaggeration..
Gender breakdown in Fayetteville, from CityData statistics:

Population in July 2007: 122,435.

Males: 58,647 (47.9%)
Females: 63,788 (52.1%)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Fayetteville-North-Carolina.html#ixzz0cANrMlP2

The gender breakdown will of course be more out of balance right *on* Fort Bragg, but even there it is not 20:1. I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,811 times
I don't know where you would be moving from, but don't move to Fayetteville. Yes, it is a military town, but keep in mind if you are looking to date within your age range, most of the "decent" army men in your age range will be married. Younger, single army men are playing around. Don't move here. It's devoid of culture and there aren't many things for educated, single people to do.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM

118 posts, read 279,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUNATE View Post
By stating you are a single woman.. I am assuming ( I could be wrong) that part of your reason for choosing Fayetteville is due to the high percentage of males in the area (FT BRAGG). If you are looking to increase your odds of meeting dudes then Fayetteville will probably work out for you. Also, if you are overweight then that is a plus.. I've noticed that army guys like "fat chicks." No offense of course.
Wow.....hands down, one of the most brainless comments I've seen on the forums so far. I don't know who you're trying "not" to insult more: the OP, or soldiers. Well, as a former soldier I CAN say this: "Army guys" (usually called male soldiers in this country) like ALL chicks, of all shapes and sizes. What we don't like are brainless stereotypes from ignorant people.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,566 times
Cool fayetteville is NOT heaven for single women

ok - i moved to f'ville from TAMPA ~ yep, call dr phil - i'm insane ! no SERIOUSLY / i moved here 4 one reason and one ONLY : to try and find a husband

let me keep it real and give you the straight up TRUTH about this town - and its NOT what you think !!!!

but first off : i'm an asian-american female , 30 something. i'm of average size and height-weight proportionate. im not a beauty queen, but far from ugly . HERE IS MY EXPERIENCE :

1 ) guys in this town do NOT outnumber women as previously said. the ratio is about even. go to ANY bar/ club / lounge and what you see will bear witness to this

2 ) women move here from all over the COUNTRY to get married and everyone knows it. a funny exchange that can often be heard " so what brought u 2 f'ville ? " answer : " i moved here cuz my cousin's best friends stepsister lives here ! " NO *****, YOU MOVED HERE TO GET MARRIED TO A SOLDIER, AND YOU AND I AND EVERYONE ELSE KNOWS IT ! its hilarious actually ...

3 ) the local women from f'ville and surrounding towns tend to stay here after high school graduation and work as waitresses or other menial jobs at the mall til they can meet and marry a soldier. THE LOCAL MALES GET THE HELL OUT, THERE ARE NO VIABLE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES HERE, unless you work on ft bragg. but the women stay here, in the hopes of getting married

4 ) the guys in fville have sex , and ONLY sex on their minds....the quote "fat chix can be picky" refers to they can choose who they want to bed....but rarely do those last in relationships / marriages

5 ) soldiers looking to get married go OUTSIDE of town ( like to raleigh, durham, or other NON-military metro areas ) to find spouses. think i'm joking ??? i'm wish i were !

6 ) the fat chix you see walking around w/ soldiers : ok - there's an explanation 4 that : these are the wives of soldiers ie, they once looked a whole lot better but upon marriage let their appearance go to hell. the husbands are ok w/ that cuz they know when they get deployed the wife wont get hit on my a million other guys....

7 ) military wives tend to have a LOT Of kids, its not uncommon for a 28 year old to have three children under the age of ten. how many women look good after three kids before hitting thirty, and how much time do you think they have to invest in their looks chasing kids around all day ???

8 ) BOTTOM LINE : other women have figured out that this is the place to come husband hunting, and : its actually a town where you can survive w/out going stir crazy. its got a decent mall ; tons of dining options and a bangin nightlife scene

9 ) women tend to follow their relatives to here, every male active duty or retiree in this area has brought at least one if not more daughter / cousin / sister here, and a lot of soldiers actually EDUCATE their female relatives on how to snag a husband !!!

10 ) fayetteville metro area is home to two major state universities, one community college and one private liberal arts college. LOTS of females students there, and they all look pretty hot ! so guys DO have a choice when it comes to who to date / marry and yes they CAN afford to be picky...

the ones who just want to get laid ; will go 4 the fat chix; cuz they have such low self-esteem they will give it up to anyone who whispers a few love words in their ear....word gets around that this is a chick who will let you do her..and soon she is surrounded by "admirers" and gets to pick who she goes home with HENCE THE PHRASE ABOUT FAT CHIX BEING CHOOSY. it refers to the sexual dynamics ; not the dating / marriage ones

FYI : F'VILLE IS CRAWLING W/ ILLEGAL ALIENS ; MOSTLY FROM EASTERN EUROPE LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND ! GUESS THE WORD GOT OUT IN MOSCOW TOO

i am thinkin about moving to a godforsaken military town where there is nothing and not a lot of local women : like goldsboro nc or jacksonville NC

Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,892 times
That is one of the funniest and most honest posts about Fayetteville I have read on CD.

I will say the prospects in Goldsboro are pretty slim. I was stationed at Seymour-Johnson before I retired and the singles went to Greenville or Raleigh to party.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
Everyone should keep in mind that OP did state that she has lived there previously, and that may be one of the reasons why she wants to move there. There's also a difference between trying to see if a place is more family oriented, or more singles oriented, and just because she is single, she might not be wanting to move there to be married to an army guy.

That said, OP, I can tell you that at least in regards to Charlotte and Raleigh, they are more family oriented, from what I've seen. I haven't been to muchof the state beyond those two, but I have stopped in Asheville before, and that seemed like an..interesting place..

Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 29,700 times
I'd have to agree, if your a single white female moving here by choice not because a job is bringing you here....its probably because of the military population....so you and plenty of other girls will all have something to relate too. I live in the the surrounding area, there's definitely a fair amount of bars and strip clubs that are full of G.I's.....along with single females looking for a soldier or married soldiers wives who's husbands are away.....There's definitely a melting pot of different types of people here, because well obviously it is a military town. So if a soldier and one nights stands is what your looking for its definitely the place to be. But unless your wanting to hit up strip clubs or local bars and clubs with a bunch of 20/30 somethings lookin to take somebody home theres really not a whole lot more to do around here. So if the military men truely isnt your reason for wanting to come here, but you are set on moving to the carolinas, id try n look elsewhere like maybe the triangle or charlotte or something....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMA88 View Post
the place to be. But unless your wanting to hit up strip clubs or local bars and clubs with a bunch of 20/30 somethings lookin to take somebody home theres really not a whole lot more to do around here. ..
I would have to disagree with this statement. I've been around here since 2002. I've never been to any of the bars or strip clubs in town.

It's not my scene.

Granted I'm married and have kids but there are enough other activites and cultural pursuits if one know's where to look.

There are several groups and organizations I wish I could be involved with but I don't have the time with work and family.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,143 times
I'm sorry, but I find that post offensive. I'm a native from this area, and the LAST thing I wanted to get tied up with was a soldier!!! I went to the "private liberal arts college" in town, and the majority of girls I knew were not there to find them a soldier! Now, there were plenty of soldiers' wives there---at the time the soldiers were deployed to the 1st Gulf War. But we were there to get an education, and NOT to find us a soldier-husband!

So, please don't lump ALL of us into your little "statistics" or claims, because they're simply NOT true!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Gee.. nothing like a little exaggeration..
Gender breakdown in Fayetteville, from CityData statistics:

Population in July 2007: 122,435.

Males: 58,647 (47.9%)
Females: 63,788 (52.1%)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Fayetteville-North-Carolina.html#ixzz0cANrMlP2

The gender breakdown will of course be more out of balance right *on* Fort Bragg, but even there it is not 20:1. I've been there.
Your post just shows a total head count. My 20:1 ratio is how many single guys there are to single ladies. Trust me I lived here a long time, it's hard to find single decent women in Fayettenam w/o issues or baggage. Once in a while a gem comes along and she has 20 dudes hitting on her. Been there seen it.

Someone else posted that all dudes in Fayettenam are out for sex and nothing more; not true...I was actually looking to settle down. I had to go outside of Fayettenam to find someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina