U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM

393 posts, read 576,916 times
Default Remove your license plate covers, new law.....

Sorry I don't have a link as the story was on TV news. There is a new law going into affect and its being kept hush, hush. Why? Hmmm, revenue I'm sure.

The new law provides for a fine of $100 for the use of license plate covers. You know, those plastic bands the dealers put around your plates, that like 99% of all plates have around them!

Their reason? It makes it more difficult to read the license plate. PLEASE!

Can you say tax revenue shortage? Do you know how many tens of thousands of bogus tickets are going to be written cause of this?

I would just warn the state of NC, that at some point this new "law" is going to be challenged. And when it is, should you loose, you could get stuck paying all those fines back. License plate covers have been around for decades and in fact help protect and hold the plate in place!

If you get one of these tickets, contest it. Take photos showing your plate is visible and properly displayed and go to court. Don't let them get away with this nonsense.

I just read today, that the state is sending out monitors to get a feel for how much seasonal shopping is going on. They are worried about tax revenue shortage. Fine, they can worry all they like, but don't shaft the working man with bogus laws like this. Just raise the sales tax rate, we know its coming anyhow. It's an insult to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM

207 posts, read 762,534 times
Dude, you sound a little paranoid. You don't have to get rid of your license plater holder as long as it doesn't obscure your license plate number and the registration sticker. If you have a license plate cover (plastic that completely covers your license plate) you are fine as long as you can clearly see through it. If its one of those covers that are tinted or produce glare or obscures viewing your plate you'll have to take it off.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM

393 posts, read 576,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Dude, you sound a little paranoid. You don't have to get rid of your license plater holder as long as it doesn't obscure your license plate number and the registration sticker. If you have a license plate cover (plastic that completely covers your license plate) you are fine as long as you can clearly see through it. If its one of those covers that are tinted or produce glare or obscures viewing your plate you'll have to take it off.
That is not what they are talking about. They are talking about the plastic boarder that goes around the plate. It usually has the dealer listed on it. This is exactly what they showed on the news.

Like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=12422482

Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 AM

1,764 posts, read 926,729 times
It looks like this has been in the works since the Summer and plates that don't obscure any plate information are still legal.

Bill aims to clear car plates - Traffic - NewsObserver.com

Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 AM

2,577 posts, read 4,642,325 times
according to mjd07's article, it only applies to frames that obscure 'vital' information like the tag numbers, the expiration date stickers, and the name of the issuing state. i don't see the issue with that. a license plate is not meant to be a thing of vanity; it's a tool for law enforcement. when it gets to the point that a state trooper cannot identify the key information the plate is meant to convey, something should be done.

Mike

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,808,590 times
Not a bad idea. The entire plate should be visible including expriration dates....especially on those 30 day temporary cardboard plates. I see a lot of those that have already expired where the numbers are visable.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 AM

143 posts, read 242,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
according to mjd07's article, it only applies to frames that obscure 'vital' information like the tag numbers, the expiration date stickers, and the name of the issuing state..
Exactly; one of this rule's big targets is to address the issue of people using what I call a "plastic polarized filter" over the plate; which means they can ONLY be read from a "head on" angle; (not from any "side angle") and consequently CANNOT be read by the "stop-light cameras" or an "in car" camera if it is not directly behind the plate. This method has been used since the advent of the "stop-light cameras" to make it so that the camera at the light can get a great picture of the car but the plate will not be readable, so that the (outsourced) company who sends the tickets cannot identify who ran the light.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM

442 posts, read 851,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
It looks like this has been in the works since the Summer and plates that don't obscure any plate information are still legal.

Bill aims to clear car plates - Traffic - NewsObserver.com
Anyone read this article. It proves the OP is right. They are trying to prevent people from covering up the "vital" parts of your license plate (issuing state, plate number, and registration sticker). Most of the license plate frames cover up the state name, so they would be illegal.

However, a clear cover doesn't "obscure" the vital info, so you can still have your red-light camera beating covers on.

BTW, for those who don't want to cover your plates, I suggest you spray on some clear enamel. I have done this for years, especially when I lived in the DC area where red light and speeding cameras are everywhere. It creates a huge glare when photographed, overexposing the area of the photo that would show your plate and rendering it unreadable. Plus, it's unnoticeable to the naked eye so cops don't know you have it on. My car was photographed at least 6 times, that I know of, and I never received a ticket.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,984,896 times
^ Seems to me it would much better for all of us if you'd just stop running red lights.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 AM

2,447 posts, read 4,597,331 times
No need to get so worked up. Many state laws go into effect every December 1st. This law isn't a secret. Tickets won't start until after Nov. 30, 2010. During the first year only warnings will be issued.

Here's one of many sources Dozens of new N.C. laws take effect Tuesday (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/tuesday-40972-dozens-effect.html - broken link) Starting at the 10th paragraph

Quote:
Motorists who have a frame around their license plate may also want to take note of a new law that requires the state’s name across the bottom of the plate to be fully visible. The new law also requires that the expiration month and year stickers to be visible.

They can no longer be partially covered by a license frame. Motorists who don’t comply with the law can be cited for an infraction. A warning will be issued for the first year of the law. After Nov. 30, 2010. a fine of up to $100 may be charged.

Law enforcement officials say that having the information visible increases the readability of registration visibility and helps identify vehicles registered in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina