U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM

700 posts, read 1,673,015 times

Advertisements

I didn't come here trying to change this place either -- it is what it is. Not saying *what* it is, but I'm not expecting (hope and) change. I do what I can to make my own life easier -- whether you like me or not is irrelevant in my world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 11:05 AM

31 posts, read 91,229 times
Unfortunately, you are not the only Northerner to move to NC over the years. The original poster asked a general questions about how local North Carolina natives feel about northerners in general and that is what I answered. The majority of local NC natives do not like the attitudes or personalities of Northerners or what they have tried to change here. You are not the only one who has moved here and this thread was not about you. It was about what many, many natives feel has happened since the north has moved down here over the last 30 years. You ain't got to like it and I can promise you we don't give a damn if you like us. Turning this into a 3dognight thread is precisely what I was saying about many, many folks who have moved here from up North. You made this thread about you when we are talking in generalities.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,013,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclandman View Post
Unfortunately, you are not the only Northerner to move to NC over the years. The original poster asked a general questions about how local North Carolina natives feel about northerners in general and that is what I answered. The majority of local NC natives do not like the attitudes or personalities of Northerners or what they have tried to change here. You are not the only one who has moved here and this thread was not about you. It was about what many, many natives feel has happened since the north has moved down here over the last 30 years. You ain't got to like it and I can promise you we don't give a damn if you like us. Turning this into a 3dognight thread is precisely what I was saying about many, many folks who have moved here from up North. You made this thread about you when we are talking in generalities.
Ya See, now thats what I like to see, (Northerners) and (Southerners), those are nice terms to use. Being called a yankees seems like someone is trying to kindle old by-gone-days of "Damb yankees and johnny rebs". The Civil Was is over, we all lost in that war. White trash is in the south as well as the north. Its not about, you, us and them, its about all of us, the whole country.
By the way, "what do you folks in NC concider Florida anyway?"

Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Florida is interesting. I would say Florida is not seen as the true south in NC even though it is geographically. Florida seems like it has lost its identity over the years just as NC is doing.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,008 times
Florida and NC are very different. I like them both.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,417,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclandman View Post
Florida is interesting. I would say Florida is not seen as the true south in NC even though it is geographically. Florida seems like it has lost its identity over the years just as NC is doing.
Florida is not generally considered among "Southern" states. But, it's kind of "reversed" from the rest of the country: the Northern part is "Southern" and the Southern part is "Northern" in culture, accent, etc.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,198,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Florida is not generally considered among "Southern" states. But, it's kind of "reversed" from the rest of the country: the Northern part is "Southern" and the Southern part is "Northern" in culture, accent, etc.
Absolutely! After living there for 34 years South Florida is definitely more "northern" although the hispanic influence is becoming more predominent. Northern and central Florida with the exception of Orlando are more in the southern vein. And the coastal areas are geared towards tourism. We have family that live in northern Florida and they are definitely southern from their cooking to their way of life. They introduced us to some great food and a laid back way of life so different from South Florida.

My daughter moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville and said the difference was like night and day. And she prefers Jacksonville.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,903,558 times
Thumbs up Best all time opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
They were probably bashed not because they were yankees but because they were snobs who felt like the world revolves around them. Most of us are welcoming and open to northerners. Were you come from makes no difference. What does matter is how you hold your self and your personality. You sound like you'll have no problems

Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM

873 posts, read 1,545,238 times
My best friend is from New York....what separates him from others from NY that I've met is that he can drive and he isn't a snob.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM

You know, there are some great ones around and I enjoy them being here. I just wish they could start a training academy for manners for the other 95% of them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina